Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: On Landry Jones

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    the "value"of drafting a 3rd string QB? In the 4th round? Are you serious with this sh!t?

I don't hate the player at all. I hate the pick and the position.

can you get it through your thick skull that this is the backup to the backup QB?

look at the depth at FS, OG, OT, TE, CB and MLB.
    If you think you're getting good value with Jones, then you cannot look at it as spending a 4th round pick on a 3rd string QB. You look at it as a guy who is going to be Ben's primary back-up sooner than later. Who cares that Gradkowski signed a 3-year contract? He's gritty, gutsy, and a guy I'd like to have on our team, but there is a reason he's bounced around the league like he's made of flubber. This is a critical position and given Ben's injury history, we need to make sure we have a guy who can step in and lead this team to victories.
    Unfortunately, everything I've seen or read about Jones backs up SKL's initial assessment of him in this thread...he crumbles under pressure. Unless he can prove that assessment wrong, it is indeed a waste of a pick (gotta love that hindsight).
    At this stage, I'm pretty much taking the opposite view and hating on the player; not the pick or position.

Backup

User Info Menu

I thought it was a bad pick long before we saw him in training camp. Needed help in other areas.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm far more concerned about the underachieving Left OLB 2nd round pick than I am a 4th round pick rookie who wasn't ever projected to play for the next two years.

The angst about L. Jones after two weeks of camp is ridiculous.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

by all means, lets get back to your regularly scheduled diatribes against lebeau.

those are so much more entertaining for everyone.

Legend

User Info Menu

Too early to call Jones a bust. But not too early to say that he may not be ready to contribute this season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ray Fittipaldo's Steelers chat transcript: 8.12.13

MONDAY, 12 AUGUST 2013 WRITTEN BY RAY FITTIPALDO

DormontyDawson: Any anti-buzz on Landry Jones? I've seen high school kids with stronger arms than his, and with far more confidence. He looks like the 6th grader who hates football but his parents are making him play.

Ray Fittipaldo: Landry Jones did look a bit overwhelmed in his first NFL game and he hasn't had a particularly strong camp, but it takes time for QBs to learn a new playbook and get comfortable in their surroundings. It's not like he's a first-round pick. They're expected to come in and make a difference right away. Jones is a fourth-round pick. He's not getting a ton of reps in camp. He is watching Roethlisberger and Gradkowski get most of the work.

[URL]https://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/chats/ray-fittipaldo-chat/122277-ray-fittipaldos-steelers-chat-transcript-81213[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    DormontyDawson:He looks like the 6th grader who hates football but his parents are making him play.
    wow... that's harsh

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    wow... that's harsh
    If you saw him in camp, you might think that was generous. He even struggles in 7 on 7 with no pressure.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    If you saw him in camp, you might think that was generous. He even struggles in 7 on 7 with no pressure.
    Flippy not to doubt your eye because I have heard it elsewhere. But, Jones has a gun...can make all the throws...just watch the tape. I haven't seen a scout doubt the guys arm. If he is timid right now...well I expect that from a rookie.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Flippy not to doubt your eye because I have heard it elsewhere. But, Jones has a gun...can make all the throws...just watch the tape. I haven't seen a scout doubt the guys arm. If he is timid right now...well I expect that from a rookie.
    Granted, maybe it's all mental and he's not comfortable or processing info fast enough and as a result is hesitant/tentative. And it's not like he's getting significant reps, but the ones I've seen, he's been inaccurate and his arm looks weak.

Ben and Gradkowski look great. JPW is hit and miss and some of his throws have looked bad too, but JPW looks like he has as much velocity on his throws as Ben. Landry's throws vs all the QBs look like night and day. And maybe it's the mental impacting the physical at this point.

I haven't seen the 2nd half of the Giants game yet and am looking forward to seeing him play in the game to see if he was much better.