Thread: Steelers Spaeth injured, out 8 to 10 weeks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Spaeth injured, out 8 to 10 weeks

August 9, 2013 6:26 pm

By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Tight end Matt Spaeth has a Lisfranc injury in his foot that is expected to keep him out 8 to 10 weeks.

Spaeth was brought back in free agency this year to be the top backup to Heath Miller, who is recovering from ACL surgery and is not expected to be ready for the start of the regular season.

Without Miller, Spaeth and David Johnson, the Steelers have had to sign several free-agent tight ends to join David Paulson and Jamie McCoy on the training camp roster.

Read more: [url]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-spaeth-injured-out-8-to-10-weeks-698770/#ixzz2bW2nQZzU[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

McCoy and Paulson have both had good camps. Paulson has good hands I would even say very good. His blocking is getting better and no reason to believe he can't be at least average until Heath returns.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Hopefully one team has a gluttony of TE prospects on their roster and try to sneak one onto the PS. I'm sure the waiver wire will be watched during the final cut downs. Not sure how much a rook new to the system would contribute if it comes to that, but it may bide time till Miller and Spaeth is back. I have been really surprised at Heath's progress from the injury (from what I've read) as I was sure he would have not been able to return to week eight. Glad I was wrong.

Legend

User Info Menu

From everything that I've read, it sounds like Paulson was outperforming Spaeth this summer so far. He will be worth watching tonight as he gets his first opportunity to stand out when the lights are on.