Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steelers rookie WR Markus Wheaton proving to be a ‘quick’ study

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Wallace had ludicrous speed and could sometimes get to plaid. Wheaton has light speed and can maybe make it to ridiculous speed. The Steelers should be ok.
    This.

Wheaton is damn fast and could become the perfect complement to Brown, who will be on the team in the foreseeable future...

Is Wallace a step faster? Probably....

But, if Wheaton's hands are better, I'll gladly trade a step for that...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Wallace averaged 17.2 YPC in his NFL career and 13.1 YPC last year in what was easily his worst pro season. Wheaton, by comparison, averaged 13.7 YPC last year - the best of his career - in college. I think he has the potential to be a very good intermediate type receiver - like Brown is, like Sanders could become, like Holmes was in his prime. I have no reason to believe that he'll become a guy, like Wallace, that you had to gameplan around.
    20% of Wheaton's catches last year, his best, were gains of 20 yards or more...

If he can do that with the Steelers, he will be fine....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    20% of Wheaton's catches last year, his best, were gains of 20 yards or more...

If he can do that with the Steelers, he will be fine....
    I would be thrilled if he did that. I like Wheaton, which I've said throughout.

I just don't see the need to crap on Wallace to like Wheaton.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would be thrilled if he did that. I like Wheaton, which I've said throughout.

I just don't see the need to crap on Wallace to like Wheaton.
    But, it certainly is more entertaining

I think the "crapping" on Wallace has nothing to do with Wheaton and everything to do with Wallace appearing to be greedy and slacking last season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Get over yourself.

I've never idolized Wallace. I have looked at his numbers and watched him play. His game speed is incredibly fast. I haven't seen many faster, if any. I certainly didn't want the Steelers to give him the same deal he got with Miami. However, I think letting a player with his production and ability leave for a third round pick a year later is the poor use of an asset.

I think Wallace is kind of a jerk and I hope he does not succeed. But I don't have the same level of vitriol for him as you.

If you want to naively think that Wheaton will produce what Wallace did as a rookie, go ahead. Look at the numbers of rookie WRs throughout the league on an annual basis. Look at the production of Steelers rookie WRs. And after you look at some data, tell me how probabale that really is. I know, I know, you don't like data, and just prefer to spout out without support.

I like Wheaton and I'm excited for his potential. That said, I just don't see where he would replace what Wallace did.

Wallace averaged 17.2 YPC in his NFL career and 13.1 YPC last year in what was easily his worst pro season. Wheaton, by comparison, averaged 13.7 YPC last year - the best of his career - in college. I think he has the potential to be a very good intermediate type receiver - like Brown is, like Sanders could become, like Holmes was in his prime. I have no reason to believe that he'll become a guy, like Wallace, that you had to gameplan around.

Well said.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    This.

Wheaton is damn fast and could become the perfect complement to Brown, who will be on the team in the foreseeable future...

Is Wallace a step faster? Probably....

But, if Wheaton's hands are better, I'll gladly trade a step for that...
    A Perfect compliment to AB. Would be a big physical WR that could get downfield.
    Bit, I am Also excited to see what Wheaton can bring to the table

Legend

User Info Menu

High Praise For Rookie Wheaton

By Jim Wexell
    SteelCityInsider.net
    Posted Aug 8, 2013

LATROBE -- Markus Wheaton scored another couple of touchdowns Thursday afternoon by catching short passes in the red-zone drill and cutting and darting and spinning and diving his way into the end zone.

It's becoming commonplace at Steelers practices, and something former Oakland Raiders great Tim Brown can see happening all season.

“This guy, I believe, is going to really, really light it up," Brown said of Wheaton to SI.com's Notre Dame site. "Keep your eye on this kid. I worked out with him back in February or March and it is just incredible to see this kid run routes, catch balls and do the things that he is capable of doing. And what I like about him is that when you look at his numbers from Oregon State he was a guy that caught 92 balls for about 1,300 yards. He wasn’t one of these guys catching 50 balls for 1,000 yards. When you catch 90 balls for 1,300, you’re putting in work.”

Wheaton caught 91 passes for 1,244 yards his senior season. What's difficult to believe, considering his skill set, is he only returned 3 punts and 4 kickoffs. He'll likely return half that many kicks Saturday night, and should be able to show off the outstanding hands, toughness and running skills he's displayed thus far at training camp.

"We had a return guy named Jordan Poyer at Oregon State and he was really good," Wheaton explained. "When we were young, coming in, he was The Natural and I struggled. Once he got a hold of the spot, he kind of held on to it, so it was hard to get any work there."

Does he fit in with Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders as the Steelers' slot receiver?

"I feel good. I feel comfortable," Wheaton said. "I still have a lot of work to do, still have a lot to learn, but I do feel comfortable out there."

Wheaton's base position is flanker -- Hines Ward's old position and Sanders' current one -- with the second team.

NEW NICKEL CORNER

Shamarko Thomas won't start at safety or return kicks Saturday night in the Steelers' preseason opener against the New York Giants, but the fourth-round draft pick could enter the game as a cornerback.

So much for that learning curve.

Thomas, the 5-9 strong safety who packs a wallop as a striker in the run game, has played plenty of nickel cornerback with the second team these last few days of training camp. And, really, it's had nothing to do with the Steelers being down four cornerbacks due to injuries.

"He has done a nice job," said Coach Mike Tomlin, "and oftentimes you can tell his growth and development just simply by his willingness or ability to communicate in walking-like settings, the work that we do in the a.m. Day by day, you hear him more verbal in communication and that is a big part of that position. It is kind of the hub of communication. It is package football. He is embracing that. We will continue to put it on his plate and see if he can execute in a game-like setting situation. I just think he adds value to himself the more he is capable of doing. Obviously, he has a physical skill set that is geared toward that flexibility and we are not going to take it for granted."

Thomas admits that his talking on the field as "the hub of communication" needs work.

"I feel like I'm getting the playbook down," he said. "There are little things I've got to work on like communication and stuff, but it's getting better."

A third-team strong safety behind Troy Polamalu and Damon Cromartie-Smith during spring workouts and most of training camp, Thomas "loved it" when he was used as the nickel Wednesday. It's where he spent much of his time in college.

"No matter where I play, I just have to be me," he said. "They drafted me for being me, so I'm just going to be me out there and do that. I'll be very focused and just read my keys."

THE REAL MCCOY

Jamie McCoy has used up all of his practice-squad eligibility and was looking at the end of his football career this month, before a rash of injuries at the tight end position opened the door wide for him.

"It sucks to have guys go down with injuries. I want everybody to be healthy," said McCoy. "But right now I just happen to be in a position where I can contribute to the offense and do some things with some guys injured, so I'm trying to make the most of it."

McCoy was on the Rams' practice squad in 2010, the Steelers' practice squad in 2011, and split time with the Steelers' and Chargers' practice squads in 2012.

Cut five times by the Steelers, McCoy was re-signed last December and activated for the regular-season finale, his first NFL game.

A 26-year-old out of Texas A&M, the 6-3, 240-pound McCoy will see plenty of time Saturday for the Steelers as an in-line tight end if Matt Spaeth can't play, and Spaeth missed Thursday's practice with a foot injury.

McCoy is also the team's only back-up fullback and backs up move tight end David Paulson.

With Heath Miller and David Johnson continuing to re-hab ACL injuries, McCoy appears to be a lock to make an NFL opening-day roster for the first time in four August attempts. It would end a long journey.

"Honestly it's very hard," he said of his four-year trek through waiver wires and practice squads. "I mean, You put in the same work that a lot of these guys put in for so many years and to a certain extent it kind of hasn't paid off for you. You're back and forth with the practice squad, on and off the team. It definitely takes a toll emotionally, but you just have to realize it's something that you want to do, a childhood dream, and really you've just got to stay strong. Just like right now, you never know what can happen on any day. Two, three people can go down. You just have to be ready."

But the payoff's coming, isn't it?

"Yeah, yeah, I think so. I really can't focus on it. I've just got to keep doing what I do and keep my head down and stay strong and try to go out there and play mistake-free."

BURRESS, WHIMPER HURT; TE ADDED

Plaxico Burress went up for a jump ball during Thursday's practice but instead came down to the ground and injured his right elbow. The extent of the injury is unknown, but Burress was spotted later in the cafeteria with a sling on his arm.

Whimper, the backup offensive tackle, left the field on a cart with an unspecified injury. Tomlin was unavailable for comment on either injury after practice.

Also sitting out of practice with minor nicks were defensive end Cameron Heyward and wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders. They joined injured cornerbacks Cortez Allen, DeMarcus Van Dyke, Terry Hawthorne and Curtis Brown, and defensive end Nick Williams, on the sidelines.

After practice, the Steelers cut tight end John Rabe to make room for Michael Palmer, a 6-5, 252-pound tight end who was waived Wednesday by Seattle. Palmer, out of Clemson, caught 21 passes for 123 yards and 3 touchdowns in three seasons with Atlanta.

[URL]http://burgh.us/n43[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

“This guy, I believe, is going to really, really light it up," Brown said of Wheaton to SI.com's Notre Dame site. "Keep your eye on this kid. I worked out with him back in February or March and it is just incredible to see this kid run routes, catch balls and do the things that he is capable of doing. And what I like about him is that when you look at his numbers from Oregon State he was a guy that caught 92 balls for about 1,300 yards. He wasn’t one of these guys catching 50 balls for 1,000 yards. When you catch 90 balls for 1,300, you’re putting in work.”
    This is pretty flattering stuff. ND alum is talking to a ND site. He is not being interviewed by an Oregon site, nor a Pittsburgh site. I'm sure he has trained with more kids than just Wheaton, but he felt the need to praise Wheaton. Of course, what does Tim Brown know about the WR position?

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers rookie wide receiver Markus Wheaton staying grounded despite early success

By Neal Coolong on Aug 21 2013

The team's longest play from scrimmage as well as three other catches this preseason are encouraging signs for the Steelers' rookie WR Markus Wheaton. He's not getting caught up in it, though.

Markus Wheaton hasn't had much to sulk about so far this preseason.

He appears to be a favorite target of fellow rookie quarterback Landry Jones - who hit Wheaton on a nice 45-yard completion in Monday's loss to Washington. He has four total catches for 60 yards, and a nice end-around run that went for 10 yards.

He earned praise from Steelers veteran safety Ryan Clark, who said in a radio interview Wheaton is a better all-around receiver than Mike Wallace, just not as fast. None of that is getting to Wheaton's head, though.

"I appreciate it, especially coming from a guy like Ryan," Wheaton told Ralph N. Paulk of the Tribune Review. "Then again, I realize I have a lot to build on. I'll use this game to see what I can do to get better. "It felt good to get that (45-yard) catch. It did a lot for my confidence."

In case anyone is counting, Wallace, the former Steelers receiver, had 58 yards on four catches in his first two preseason games.

Wheaton has been just one of a few young reasons for optimism in Pittsburgh. While the starters haven't played outstanding football, particularly on the offensive side of the ball, Wheaton, outside linebacker Jarvis Jones and safety Shamarko Thomas have performed well in the Steelers' two preseason games, and figure to see extensive snaps again Saturday against the Chiefs.

More reps the better for them. Jones didn't start but came in during the team's second defensive drive and played well into the third quarter. With just two full practices between the game against the Redskins and Saturday vs. the Chiefs, it's a curious decision how much starters and key back-ups will play. They turn around and play Carolina in the preseason finale the following Thursday.

It's a good time to get Wheaton and Thomas more extensive time, even running the risk of injury. Second round pick Le'Veon Bell has a mid-foot injury that will likely cost him some time, up to possibly the Steelers' Week 1 game Sept. 8 against the Tennessee Titans.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/8/21/4643180/steelers-markus-wheaton-preseason-stats-updates-news[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha