Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 57

Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers Change Defensive Philosophy

  1. #31
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Lemming...you stated "And what team has more of a rep as an "attacking" defense than this one?"

    About half the teams in the NFL? I was speaking about last season as stated in my post. No one feared the Steelers D last season.
    Agree. At times it seemed that opponents knew exactly what to expect. After losing to the Raiders, Carson Palmer said exactly that.

    People fear a defense when you are getting to their QB and taking the ball away not when the defense is first in yards allowed but you still beat them.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  2. #32
    It isn't exactly like the defense "allowed" the Raiders to win, though they weren't great by any stretch in that game...

    Turnovers by the Steelers offense and special teams miscues were as much or even more to blame for losses as the defense...

  3. #33
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    It isn't exactly like the defense "allowed" the Raiders to win, though they weren't great by any stretch in that game...

    Turnovers by the Steelers offense and special teams miscues were as much or even more to blame for losses as the defense...
    But it was an example of a defense that use to routinely make game changing plays but hasn't been able to on a consistent basis for a couple of years. IMO that is because the defense has gone passive scared to death to give up the big play versus attacking like they use to.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  4. #34
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,113
    IMO, the #1 job of the defense is to keep opponents from scoring. Additionally, keeping the opponent on their side of the 50 and giving your O good field position is #2. Things like pressure on the QB or stopping the run or takeaways are fantastic side effects, but are not the primary mission. Just my $0.2.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    IMO, the #1 job of the defense is to keep opponents from scoring. Additionally, keeping the opponent on their side of the 50 and giving your O good field position is #2. Things like pressure on the QB or stopping the run or takeaways are fantastic side effects, but are not the primary mission. Just my $0.2.
    Turnovers and QB sacks generally go a long way to stopping an opponent from scoring.

  6. #36
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,302
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I agree, the talent is the issue.

    One gap or two, Ziggy Hood is not going to suddenly become JJ Watt.

    Worilds I think can be ok, but I've seen nothing to lead me to believe that he will be a force. I am excited about Jones. Woodley returning to form will be a major key.
    I agree with you about Ziggy but Worilds really impressed me last year when he subbed for Woodley on the left side. I think he did a great job on that side as opposed to his play when on the right side.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

  7. #37
    Woodley himself said he was asked to drop into coverage...alot. So, we took one of the best pass rushers in the NFL and asked him to play DB.

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Woodley himself said he was asked to drop into coverage...alot. So, we took one of the best pass rushers in the NFL and asked him to play DB.
    Woodley himself is making excuses for his lack of conditioning and lack of production....

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by steelfin View Post
    Woodley himself is making excuses for his lack of conditioning and lack of production....
    I doubt he would outright lie about being dropped back into coverage. My point isn't to debate Woodley's conditioning but to make a point about a mindful attacking nature (or lack there of) of the D.

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Woodley himself said he was asked to drop into coverage...alot. So, we took one of the best pass rushers in the NFL and asked him to play DB.
    And I can find the stats again, but he did not drop back into coverage any more than he did in years in which he was successful rushing the passer.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •