Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Adams the new LT?

Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Adams the new LT?

He has been at LT for three days with Gilbert on the right.

[URL]http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2013/08/sundays-my-funday-notes.html[/URL]

I know that Tomlin flipped them in a camp a bit last year, but I wonder if this is going to be a permanent move. The scouting reports have Adams with quicker feet, and with Gilbert seemingly in questionable shape and reportedly performing inconsistently, I wonder if the Steelers make the switch.

The unspoken and added bonus is that if Gilbert demonstrates some competency, he is cheaper as a RT than a LT, and he is a year closer to his rookie deal expiring than Adams.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    He has been at LT for three days with Gilbert on the right.

[URL]http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2013/08/sundays-my-funday-notes.html[/URL]

I know that Tomlin flipped them in a camp a bit last year, but I wonder if this is going to be a permanent move. The scouting reports have Adams with quicker feet, and with Gilbert seemingly in questionable shape and reportedly performing inconsistently, I wonder if the Steelers make the switch.

The unspoken and added bonus is that if Gilbert demonstrates some competency, he is cheaper as a RT than a LT, and he is a year closer to his rookie deal expiring than Adams.
    The only negative thing I see about this move is that Gilbert is now right next to DeCastro again (and Gilbert was the reason that DeCastro was injured last preseason). I never saw Gilbert as a legit LT prospect, but Mike Adams with his head screwed on straight certainly can be.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

If Gilbert isn't cutting it, make him the backup swing tackle and let Beachum be RT...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I say bring back John Jackson if these clowns can't measure up

Legend

User Info Menu

Adams LT Again; Team Non-Committal

By Jim Wexell
    SteelCityInsider.net
    Posted Aug 4, 2013

LATROBE – Mike Adams finished his third consecutive practice at left tackle and appears to be a natural fit there for the Steelers.

Adams swapped spots with current right tackle Marcus Gilbert last Friday night and has proven capable at his college position.

“He’s doing a good job there,” said new offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr. “We’re just trying to find the right combination. It’s still early. We’re going to try to get the best pass protector over there and these guys are both battling to see who does it. Nothing’s set in stone. We still have four preseason games, a bunch more practice. We’re just trying to find the best combination.”

Here’s the breakdown of Adams and Gilbert:

* Adams is a 6-7, 323-pound left-hander who started 24 games at Ohio State, all at left tackle. As a rookie last year with the Steelers, he started 6 games at right tackle and was credited by STATS Inc. with having allowed 5 sacks.

* Gilbert is a 6-6, 330-pound right-hander who started 27 games at Florida (14 at right tackle, 13 at left tackle). In two seasons with the Steelers, he’s started 19 games at right tackle and been credited with having allowed 7 sacks.

“The key will be who’s more comfortable coming out of his stance on the left side,” said former Steelers tackle Tunch Ilkin. “Marvel (Smith) was left-handed and so was Max (Starks), and they were both more comfortable on the left side.”

When the move was made, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said, “If Ike Taylor was playing left corner and being swapped to right corner. It’s about the same thing.”

“It’s not,” Ilkin said. “Moving from left tackle to right tackle, or vice versa, means you’re playing a totally different position. It's not an easy move.”

Bicknell said the decision will be made largely on that comfort factor, not so much on how well the tackles play alongside the corresponding guards.

“That has something to do with it, but it’s the NFL,” Bicknell said. “Guys gotta be ready to work. You hope you can get it to jell as we get going. As we get into the first game you hope you can keep the same lineup then, and then they can get used to each other. But right now we’re just throwing guys in, trying to get the best combination, then we try to jell it.”

STILL TACKLING

Kevin Colbert holds his breath while the Steelers continue to tackle in live drills, but Tomlin’s loving it.

Live tackling, Tomlin feels, is the only way to get the practice speed turned up high enough to teach the line and running backs the right way to run the zone plays.

The Steelers began live tackling last Monday, had Tuesday off, and have continued to tackle since, and will continue today before taking another Tuesday off.

Today marks the end of the single-most difficult stretch of camp, but Tomlin wouldn’t call these days the proverbial “dog days.”

“I’m enjoying it,” he said. “Not the dog days for me.”

INJURY LIST

Troy Polamalu headed an all-star cast of players who didn’t practice on Sunday. The list also included Lawrence Timmons, Curtis Brown, Jarvis Jones, Nick Williams, Brian Rolle, Terry Hawthorne, Matt Spaeth, Ross Ventrone, DeMarcus Van Dyke, Cortez Allen, Curtis McNeal, Adrian Robinson, LaRod Stephens-Howling and Larry Foote.

Allen and Spaeth both underwent minor knee procedures and are likely out for two weeks. Timmons had a death in the family. The rest are explained as “nicks” that don’t concern the coaches. Tomlin was asked only about Polamalu’s injury.

“He’s got a contusion to the birth certificate,” Tomlin said with a smile. “You know, it’s from the ’70s. He’ll be OK.”

[URL]http://pit.scout.com/2/1312856.html[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    “He’s got a contusion to the birth certificate,” Tomlin said with a smile. “You know, it’s from the ’70s. He’ll be OK.”
    That's certainly a new way to say were are giving the old fella a maintenence day off.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The only negative thing I see about this move is that Gilbert is now right next to DeCastro again (and Gilbert was the reason that DeCastro was injured last preseason). I never saw Gilbert as a legit LT prospect, but Mike Adams with his head screwed on straight certainly can be.
    I'm leary of getting my hopes up with Adams. I remember being really high on this guy coming out of HS, only to have my heart broken by his up and down play. BUT, I will say this...him being friends with DeCastro raised my eyebrow. Adams is known for associating with guys of questionable maturity. Being friends with DeCastro is outside the box for Adams and may indicate some growth. At minimum some of DeCastro's work ethic may rub off. Adams can be as good as he wants to be. How good does he want to be?

Starter

User Info Menu

I could not agree more.

Beachum comes off as a man who has the character and drive to grab hold of this position and get better as he grows into it. Gilbert coming into camp out of shape and inconsistent is such a dissapointment. Let Beachum have a crack at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    If Gilbert isn't cutting it, make him the backup swing tackle and let Beachum be RT...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I'm leary of getting my hopes up with Adams. I remember being really high on this guy coming out of HS, only to have my heart broken by his up and down play. BUT, I will say this...him being friends with DeCastro raised my eyebrow. Adams is known for associating with guys of questionable maturity. Being friends with DeCastro is outside the box for Adams and may indicate some growth. At minimum some of DeCastro's work ethic may rub off. Adams can be as good as he wants to be. How good does he want to be?
    I've seen Adams, DD, and Beachum hanging out together. If they move Adams to LT, I think RT opens up for Beachum.

Legend

User Info Menu

Gilbert will probably be benched. I prayed and predicted a switch with Gilbert and Adams. Replacing Gilbert with Beachum would be a blessing. I know I'm hard on Gilbert but the kid is SOFT and until he proves otherwise I think he is a liability and an accident waiting to happen.