Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers Sign Veteran Offensive Tackle D’Anthony Batiste (Embernate Waived Injured)

Backup

User Info Menu

Would be nice...

I am not convinced we have a LT capable of protecting Ben this season.

Would much rather have Starks on the roster than Whimper or this guy...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelfin View Post
    Would be nice...

I am not convinced we have a LT capable of protecting Ben this season.

Would much rather have Starks on the roster than Whimper or this guy...
    Me too...but that was up to Max if he wanted to be #3 in Pitt or #1 in SD...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So, does "Waived - Injured" result in the Steelers cutting ties to Embernate, or do they retain rights to bring him back later this season or next season?

Legend

User Info Menu

I know that there is not much left at this piont in the year, but I'd like to think the Steelers could do better than Batiste. For starters, it appears that Winston Justice and Sean Locklear are two guys who are available would present more competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    So, does "Waived - Injured" result in the Steelers cutting ties to Embernate, or do they retain rights to bring him back later this season or next season?
    I believe this is correct. Instead of putting him on IR, where they would retain his rights but be responsible for his salary, it looks like he was released.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I know that there is not much left at this piont in the year, but I'd like to think the Steelers could do better than Batiste. For starters, it appears that Winston Justice and Sean Locklear are two guys who are available would present more competition.
    Colbert said in an interview last week they would be looking very closely at the waiver wire throughout the preseason. They can't be happy with what they have but they need camp bodies so the projected starters don't get worn down.

They should have invested in an OT during the draft.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Colbert said in an interview last week they would be looking very closely at the waiver wire throughout the preseason. They can't be happy with what they have but they need camp bodies so the projected starters don't get worn down.

They should have invested in an OT during the draft.
    I would have liked to see a mid round pick invested in an OT, but it is tough to argue with picks like Bell, Wheaton and Shmarko. I also get the sense that the Steelers are higher on Beachum than many of the fans. I think he can be a versatile backup, but I'd rather not see him spending a lot of time starting.

I could easily see the Steelers adding an OT from the waiver wire, especially if another team ends up trying to sneak somebody onto a PS.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I would have liked to see a mid round pick invested in an OT, but it is tough to argue with picks like Bell, Wheaton and Shmarko. I also get the sense that the Steelers are higher on Beachum than many of the fans. I think he can be a versatile backup, but I'd rather not see him spending a lot of time starting.

I could easily see the Steelers adding an OT from the waiver wire, especially if another team ends up trying to sneak somebody onto a PS.
    Yeah, I think if a tackle goes down, then they would use Beachum to fill in at tackle before Whimper or Baptiste. They even have the option of moving Foster to tackle and inserting Beachum in Foster's place at LG, but the team tends to shy away from making 2 moves to fill 1 spot unless absolutely necessary.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I think Foster acquitted himself well at RT last season...

If guys like Malecki and Golic can show us something at the interior positions, I would have no problem putting Beachum next to DeCastro, Adams on the left side (which seems to be happening) and Gilbert can be the swing tackle on gameday...let Whimper and Baptiste compete for a #4 OT spot...