Thread: Ed: Steelers Flip-Flop Tackles

Legend

User Info Menu

Ed: Steelers Flip-Flop Tackles

Ed: Steelers Flip-Flop Tackles

FRIDAY, 02 AUGUST 2013 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Mike Tomlin flip-flopped his offensive tackles tonight, moving Mike Adams to the left and Marcus Gilbert to the right.

Tomlin said he’s just trying to find the right combinations. Might it become permanent? If the two are better fits there as they practice, it could be. Gilbert has said he prefers the left side and feels more comfortable there but remember, he was the starting right tackle last year for the first five games before his ankle injury and started 13 games there as a rookie after an injury to Willie Colon.

Also, Shamarko Thomas did not play in the first-team nickel defense as expected. William Gay started for the injured Cortez Allen. When they switched to the nickel, Gay moved into the slot and Curtis Brown, who has been somewhat of a disappointment in his first two seasons, played left corner.

Thomas likely will get into the secondary when they play the Big Quarter defefense, using six defensive backs – three safeties and three cornerbacks.

[URL]http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/122181-ed-steelers-flip-flop-tackles[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Keep an eye on this story line....

IMO, no way Gilbert is successful at protecting Ben's blind side....It will be a short season for Ben.

He has shown little aside from his ability to be rag-dolled by the opposition at the expense of team mates...

I hope I am wrong...but FO made a huge mistake not resigning Starks.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I disagree about Starks.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelfin View Post

IMO, no way Gilbert is successful at protecting Ben's blind side....It will be a short season for Ben.

He has shown little aside from his ability to be rag-dolled by the opposition at the expense of team mates...

I also thought Max played very well for us. But they said they did not feel comfortable that he could do the zone scheme. They said he was not athletic enough. I understand that but I am not sure how much more athletic Gilbert can be than Max.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Flipping the tackles to the other side to find the best fit was brought up by the staff most of the offseason. But this also can be viewed as an indicator of Gilbert's shortcomings on the left side, as it seems Adams was doing fine on the right.

I also think S. Thomas will come around, next week is shark week after all.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    Flipping the tackles to the other side to find the best fit was brought up by the staff most of the offseason. But this also can be viewed as an indicator of Gilbert's shortcomings on the left side, as it seems Adams was doing fine on the right.

I also think S. Thomas will come around, next week is shark week after all.
    Funny! and hes nicknamed Sharknado after that corny movie on SciFi haha
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Our running game used to be primarily right-handed (with Alan Faneca pulling right from his LG spot to open a hole for the RB).

Now, if our best run-blocking tackle in Mike Adams is on the left, and our best pulling guard in David DeCastro is on the right, our running game maybe primarily left-handed (with DeCastro pulling left from his RG spot to open a hole for the RB).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelfin View Post

I'm a big Max fan always have been. If our tackles stay healthy we will be fine. However our 3rd tackle is not Max. So it could get us if an injury takes place.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers’ Gilbert pleased with steady progress

By Ralph N. Paulk
    Published: Friday, August 2, 2013

Marcus Gilbert didn't know what to expect during the first days of contact drills at St. Vincent.

The Steelers' third-year offensive tackle had to curb his enthusiasm during the offseason to protect his reconstructed right ankle. Yet, he never considered pacing himself when he fired off the line of scrimmage to deliver his first block of training camp earlier this week.

“You never want to push yourself where doctors and trainers don't want you to go,” Gilbert said.

“At some point, you feel like you're 100 percent and can do certain things. But some things you have to take your time and don't rush back because you can have another setback.”

Gilbert, a second-round pick in 2011, didn't flinch as he engaged guard John Malecki during a zone-blocking drill. It was the first time he aggressively tested his ankle since injuring it at Tennessee in October. More importantly, Gilbert didn't feel any pain while maneuvering his 6-foot-6, 330-pound frame to protect the blind side of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Gilbert, who last season started five games at right tackle, said the biggest obstacle he faced on the road to recovery was mental.

“When you're dealing with a major injury like the one I had, I had to deal with the possibility of not being the same player I once was,” said Gilbert, now at left tackle. “But I had to push all the negativity aside and stay positive.

“I had to bust my tail during the rehab. Once I began to recover, I never looked back. I've been moving forward, and I'm trying to stay on top of things I can control.”

Gilbert has discovered the demands are greater since his return.

“He's more focused on staying healthy than I've ever seen before,” guard Ramon Foster said. “You can see the difference in him from his first season. He understands what he has to do for us to be a great team.”

Gilbert will be counted on heavily — along with Foster and center Maurkice Pouncey — to bolster a power run game.

The expectations are greater, too, especially for Gilbert in the passing game. The offensive line surrendered 37 sacks last season. Roethlisberger was sacked 30 times.

With Gilbert and second-year tackle Mike Adams at 100 percent, the offensive line appears to be as solid as the one that powered the Steelers during their Super Bowl run in 2005.

And Gilbert's move to left tackle signals a sense of urgency to protect Roethlisberger.

“I think Marcus is more natural at left tackle,” said Pouncey, whose right knee was heavily taped prior to Friday night's practice. “He's more comfortable at that position. When you're protecting Big Ben, you've got a lot of work to do.”

Gilbert put in plenty of work during rehabilitation. He ran more. He lifted more. He spent more time in the film room.

“I've been doing the little things to stay on top of it, especially the injuries,” Gilbert said. “My mindset is that this is work, and someone is going to be pushing me.”

It helped, too, that Gilbert could lean on his former college teammate at Florida. Pouncey, who twice endured ankle injuries, provided encouragement during the stressful days of Gilbert's recovery.

“I had a moment when I asked myself, ‘when am I going to feel 100 percent?' '' Gilbert said. “I hate feeling like that, so it helped know how (Pouncey) got through it. Now, I'm as good as gold.”

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2atPOdRoQ[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

by Jim Wexell:

SPEAKING OF THE OL …

* Mike Adams remained at left tackle and Marcus Gilbert remained at right tackle Saturday in what appears to be a move that will stick. Some team sources even believe Kelvin Beachum has a good chance to win the right tackle spot from Gilbert.

* Sunday’s second line, from left to right, was Beachum, undrafted rookie Chris Hubbard, center-right guard John Malecki, right guard-center Justin Cheadle, and Guy Whimper.

* During one-on-one drills, Cheadle drew praise from Tomlin for driving the massive Fangupo several yards off the ball.

* According to former guard Craig Wolfley, who’s now working for the Steelers as a sideline reporter, only Malecki and starting left guard Ramon Foster are undefeated in one-on-one drills.

* Fangupo and starting center Maurkice Pouncey became involved in a pair of post-whistle scuffles during team scrimmages, while nice-guy tackle Joe Long and defensive end Brian Arnfelt nearly came to blows during the one-on-one drills. It’s been that kind of a week.

[URL]http://pit.scout.com/2/1312693.html[/URL]
    Last edited by hawaiiansteel; 08-04-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha