Thread: Thursday Practice

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Thursday Practice

As you likely already know Embernate got carted off late in practice with what looked like a serious injury to his leg. He was working as the 2nd team left guard when he went down. Lets hope for the best.
    In 7 on 7 drills Sylvester is having a difficult time in pass coverage. He was repeatedly beaten on short sideline patterns by the backs.

Jarvis Jones blocked a Ben pass at the los and then made the pick which got the crowd cheering. Jones looked solid again today and he was getting a boat load of reps with the first team.
    McClendon impressed when 11 on 11 went live with full contact. He made more then one play in the backfield. He is listed as 280 but looks closer to 310 IMHO. Staying with the D line Adams pancaked Hood and overall Adams has looked solid getting the better of Hood at least for today.
    Beachum for the 2nd day in a row was the first player to hit the field coming out early and working on his pass blocking technique. He has looked solid with the 2nd team and is also getting reps at right tackle.
    Back on backers drill today was won by the backs. Outside of Dwyer they have all shown good hands and both Johnson and LSH made more then a few impressive catches. Johnson and Bell, though both more quick then fast ,took a few short patterns and turned them into long gainers.
    11 on 11 matched up Shamarko and Wheaton more then once. I'll say this they each are impressive and they do not look like rookies out there. ST and Wheaton stayed after practice and were both taking extra reps catching the ball off the jugs machine.
    Wheaton was not the only one of the rookie receivers to impress. J D Woods had a good day as did Justin Brown. Woods looked good on a few kickoff returns. He did not look as good however as Dunn on returns. Dunn was very good on a bunch of middle returns. He also can catch and was working as a slot receiver. He made a catch in the flat made one great cut and took it to the house. AB was our best receiver today. This group of wr's is deep but it looked to me that AB,ES,JC and MW are the top 4.
    Landry Jones was better today. He checked out of a few plays where our D was showing blitz and it seemed like he had a better handle on the check downs. He hit the TE McCoy a few times on seam patterns for big gains.
    That's about it. I'll give it another shot on Friday.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

NICE thanks.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Great synopsis.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    As you likely already know Embernate got carted off late in practice with what looked like a serious injury to his leg. He was working as the 2nd team left guard when he went down. Lets hope for the best.
    In 7 on 7 drills Sylvester is having a difficult time in pass coverage. He was repeatedly beaten on short sideline patterns by the backs.

Jarvis Jones blocked a Ben pass at the los and then made the pick which got the crowd cheering. Jones looked solid again today and he was getting a boat load of reps with the first team.
    McClendon impressed when 11 on 11 went live with full contact. He made more then one play in the backfield. He is listed as 280 but looks closer to 310 IMHO. Staying with the D line Adams pancaked Hood and overall Adams has looked solid getting the better of Hood at least for today.
    Beachum for the 2nd day in a row was the first player to hit the field coming out early and working on his pass blocking technique. He has looked solid with the 2nd team and is also getting reps at right tackle.
    Back on backers drill today was won by the backs. Outside of Dwyer they have all shown good hands and both Johnson and LSH made more then a few impressive catches. Johnson and Bell, though both more quick then fast ,took a few short patterns and turned them into long gainers.
    11 on 11 matched up Shamarko and Wheaton more then once. I'll say this they each are impressive and they do not look like rookies out there. ST and Wheaton stayed after practice and were both taking extra reps catching the ball off the jugs machine.
    Wheaton was not the only one of the rookie receivers to impress. J D Woods had a good day as did Justin Brown. Woods looked good on a few kickoff returns. He did not look as good however as Dunn on returns. Dunn was very good on a bunch of middle returns. He also can catch and was working as a slot receiver. He made a catch in the flat made one great cut and took it to the house. AB was our best receiver today. This group of wr's is deep but it looked to me that AB,ES,JC and MW are the top 4.
    Landry Jones was better today. He checked out of a few plays where our D was showing blitz and it seemed like he had a better handle on the check downs. He hit the TE McCoy a few times on seam patterns for big gains.
    did you write this? if you did, thank you very much!
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    did you write this? if you did, thank you very much!
    Yes. There is so much going on at camp at the same time so I may see some things but you miss more then you catch. Glad you appreciated the info.

Legend

User Info Menu

Great stuff, IC. Thanks for posting.

Below is a link to another writeup of practice:

[URL]http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post

Thanks for this!

McLendon will be a huge upgrade over Hampton because he can disrupt the play in the backfield and not just occupy space.

I think Wheaton will be a significant contributor as the season goes on. He will benefit greatly while teams focus on Brown and Sanders and he will get lots of man coverage which he will beat.

I would much rather see Dunn on the roster as the #5 receiver than Burress.

TE McCoy would be a better keep than David Johnson until Heath comes back.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 08-02-2013 at 10:09 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Very, very good read. Thanks and congratulations.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Thanks for this!

McLendon will be a huge upgrade over Hampton because he can disrupt the play in the backfield and not just occupy space.

I think Wheaton will be a significant contributor as the season goes on. He will benefit greatly while teams focus on Brown and Sanders and he will get lots of man coverage which he will beat.

I would much rather see Dunn on the roster as the #5 receiver than Burress.

TE McCoy would be a better keep than David Johnson until Heath comes back.
    I agree. I believe Wheaton will be special, and we will see that special this season. I agree about Dunn as well. He has special speed, vision and quickness. I would rather groom that rather than keep Burress. As for TE, Paulson and Will Johnson should be able to do the trick. I agree DJ doesn't need to be on this squad.