Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who else think Warren Sapp

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Who else think Warren Sapp

Is not Hall of fame worthy.
    13 years and 96 sacks, I personally think those are good numbers but not HOF worthy.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    13 years and 96 sacks, I personally think those are good numbers but not HOF worthy.
    If there was a hall of fame for fat, egotistical, loud-mouth oxygen thieves, then Sapp would be a first-ballot inductee all day long. Even though he recorded those sacks from the DT spot, I have no idea how he got the support needed to get in the NFL HOF on his first shot.

Lucky for him that myself or Kris Jenkins wasn't in the room when he was being discussed.
    Last edited by Flasteel; 08-03-2013 at 10:24 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think working for NFL Network helped him out a lot. Over the past few years it seems like the classes have included at least one NFL Network employee. The one thing I don't get about Sapp and his constant attacks on the Steelers is that Tomlin was the DB coach with Tampa when Sapp was there. You'd think that (like Darren Sharper who was teammates with him at William and Mary) there'd be some loyalty or friendship there.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post
    I think working for NFL Network helped him out a lot. Over the past few years it seems like the classes have included at least one NFL Network employee. The one thing I don't get about Sapp and his constant attacks on the Steelers is that Tomlin was the DB coach with Tampa when Sapp was there. You'd think that (like Darren Sharper who was teammates with him at William and Mary) there'd be some loyalty or friendship there.
    Well, it probably helped him (be 1st ballot), but it is unobjective to say that he isn't HOF worthy. He also benefits from being on a SB winning team, and a D that (as a result of winning a SB) goes into the annals of the very best. Greg Lloyd is a good example.

Anyone who saw him play week to week would tell you he was always one of the best players on the field. Now, his career was cut short abit early, but the reason he gets NO consideration for the Hall is that: a) his team didn't win the SB, and so b) his D never went down into the annals.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sapp was a beast.. I can understand the hate for him due to his mouth but you can't hate on his game.

I thought he anchored the D that won a SB in Tampa? Why are people talking about him not winning a SB?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    DUDE was a Defensive TACKLE people, not an end.
    Four times double digit sacks, career high of SIXTEEN?

Are you guys kidding?
    Those are OUTSTANDING sack numbers for the position.

Tackle in a 4/3 is akin to being a D end in our defense. You are in the congested middle of the line and sacks dont come easy.

What if Brett Keisel got SIXTEEN SACKS? Or got nine or ten ROUTINELY. "Aaron who", is what we would say and that "the beard" would be HOF bound.

96 sacks? NOT HOF worthy? REALLY @Defensive TACKLE?
    Joe Greene had 73 (est) at that position which is OUTSTANDING

Were does 96 sacks rank on the Steelers all time list?
    Please look it up and remember Sapp did that as a TACKLE.

We Steeler fans whine because LC WHO HAD 20 LESS SACKS @ the sack happy defensive end position aint in the HOF?

We say it is some anti-Steeler bias that he is not the 10th player from that ONE ROSTER that is not in the HOF? Really people?

Oh there is some bias here but if you think for one second that Greenwood deserves in while Sapp does not the pro-Steeler bias here is far worse than any "bias" by the voters for the HOF.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 08-02-2013 at 02:08 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    DUDE was a Defensive TACKLE people, not an end.
    Four times double digit sacks, career high of SIXTEEN?

Are you guys kidding?
    Those are OUTSTANDING sack numbers for the position.

Tackle in a 4/3 is akin to being a D end in our defense. You are in the congested middle of the line and sacks dont come easy.

What if Brett Keisel got SIXTEEN SACKS? Or got nine or ten ROUTINELY. "Aaron who", is what we would say and that "the beard" would be HOF bound.

96 sacks? NOT HOF worthy? REALLY @Defensive TACKLE?
    Joe Greene had 73 (est) at that position which is OUTSTANDING

Were does 96 sacks rank on the Steelers all time list?
    Please look it up and remember Sapp did that as a TACKLE.

We Steeler fans whine because LC WHO HAD 20 LESS SACKS @ the sack happy defensive end position aint in the HOF?

We say it is some anti-Steeler bias that he is not the 10th player from that ONE ROSTER that is not in the HOF? Really people?

Oh there is some bias here but if you think for one second that Greenwood deserves in while Sapp does not the pro-Steeler bias here is far worse than any "bias" by the voters for the HOF.
    I agree with you, while I don't like Warren Sapp as a person it's difficult to dismiss his ability as a football player. Not to mention, that in the 13 years prior to Sapp joining the team the Bucs averaged 6 wins, after he joined the team they became playoff contenders regularly and the Tampa 2 is nearly as famous as the Steel Curtain.

There may be a bias against the 70s Steelers at this point, but LC Greenwood isn't the guy I think is getting short changed, it's Donnie Shell. When he retired he retired as the second leading safety in NFL history in turnovers. He had 51 INTs and 19 fumble recoveries, that means in 201 games every third game he was good for a turnover. There have been better safeties come along since his retirement (The Steelers have one of them on the roster right now.), but if you look at what he did during his era he certainly belongs in the HOF.

Just my own personal rant about Donnie Shell, oh, and not to mention he was one of the original "I'm going to try and knock you out of your cleats legally" guys.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Totally agree with Lloyd. One of my all time favorites and definitely had HOF talent. But just to be clear, I never said Sapp wasn't HOF worthy. But would you put him above Bettis as far as being deserving of the HOF? Was just saying (as you pointed out) that it may have helped Sapp get in faster.

BTW, I noticed Terrell Davis was back on NFL Network this week. Interesting to see if there's a push to get him in the HOF next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Well, it probably helped him (be 1st ballot), but it is unobjective to say that he isn't HOF worthy. He also benefits from being on a SB winning team, and a D that (as a result of winning a SB) goes into the annals of the very best. Greg Lloyd is a good example.

Anyone who saw him play week to week would tell you he was always one of the best players on the field. Now, his career was cut short abit early, but the reason he gets NO consideration for the Hall is that: a) his team didn't win the SB, and so b) his D never went down into the annals.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Derrick Brooks was a better player on that Tampa D. Plus John Lynch, Ronde Barber, and Simeon Rice were no slouches either.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.