Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jarvis Jones: 'I brought it' in Backs on 'Backers drill

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Jarvis Jones: 'I brought it' in Backs on 'Backers drill

If you think the Pittsburgh Steelers couldn't wait to put on full pads Monday, their fans and media members who cover the team were just as excited because the training camp high-point known as "Backs-on-Backers" would finally be part of the action at Saint Vincent College.

Backs-on-Backers is a form of the old "Oklahoma" drill where linebackers blitz a "quarterback" (generally a ball-boy who appears to be scared to death), and running backs, fullbacks and tight ends have to pick up the blitz. The linebackers clearly have an advantage, because they get a running start at the blocker, but Coach Mike Tomlin "leveled the playing field" Monday by announcing who the blitzer would be instead of having two guys ready to go.

That didn't stop No. 1 pick Jarvis Jones from shining. By my count, he only lost one opportunity against Le'Veon Bell, got the better of Bell a couple times and won two other battles. Jones displayed speed, athleticism and strength. Some believed that size would be an issue for the 6-foot-2, 245-pound Jones, who does not appear to be that big.

"Coach already told me that he wanted to see what I could do when we got the pads on, and I was ready for it." Jones said. "I brought it. I gave some and took some, too. (But) we were trying to toughen up our running backs and give them the best looks that we can."

Jones went with his No. 1 blitz move more often than not.

"You know, I'm going to do down the middle and try to light 'em up," Jones said. "But, at the same time, you've always got to have a counter to keep my legs out of it."

Bell had a decent day, overall, and it didn't appear that blocking and picking up blitzers would be an issue for him if he has to do a lot of that this season. Bell is listed at 6-1, 244 pounds, and he is solid. He also looked good running the ball, especially behind the No. 1 line when he was the featured back.

"I know I still have a lot of technique work to do, but I'm working at it, and I think I'm growing as a player," Bell said. "I feel like I was pretty comfortable, especially in full pads. ... I was able to compete, and I feel like I held my own.

Bell's focus is on improvement.

"I've been going with the ones (first team) a lot. We all rotate in different situations on different days, but I wasn't surprised that I got with them so often, especially at the end in the final period. I just want to keep getting more reps and getting better."

Veteran linebackers Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley got a few chances to blitz, but the coaches know what they can do. So, others got opportunities, and several took advantage. Marshall McFadden (6-1, 233), a first-year player from South Carolina State, was on and off the Steelers active roster and practice squad last season -- after not securing a spot with an NFL team in 2011 -- and he should make an impact at least on special teams this year.

McFadden's opening collision with Baron Batch was spectacular, with Batch hold strong, but the young running back was faked out quite often after that and needs to work on his technique a little more. McFadden could be a player to watch, at least from his early efforts in camp, but he has more work to do in the regular defense. Special teams could be a way for both to make the team.

Smallish running backs Curtis McNeal and LaRod Stephens-Howling had a tough time, although they displayed toughness and strength. It's just that their lack of size made it difficult with the backers getting a flying start. Isaac Redman and Will Johnson were solid, while Jonathan Dwyer struggled in a couple chances.

Along with McFadden, Alan Baxter, Chris Carter and Stevenson Sylvester looked pretty good. Tight end David Paulson held his own, while Peter Tuitupou struggled during his opportunities.

Tomlin said that the status remained the same for cornerbacks Cortez Allen (knee) and DeMarcus Van Dyke (hamstring), but the two have a chance to return Wednesday afternoon after Tuesday's off day.

[url]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/7/30/4572254/steelers-jarvis-jones-backs-backers-drill-quotes-training-camp[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm nowhere close to NFL Caliber anything. Maybe NFL Caliber historian but I cannot imagine coming in as a rookie, going into the backs on backers drill and lining up against Timmons or Woodley the first week of practice. After I pee myself, they'd run me over.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    That didn't stop No. 1 pick Jarvis Jones from shining. By my count, he only lost one opportunity against Le'Veon Bell, got the better of Bell a couple times and won two other battles. Jones displayed speed, athleticism and strength. Some believed that size would be an issue for the 6-foot-2, 245-pound Jones, who does not appear to be that big.
    It is still baffling then, to know how poorly he performed during his Pro Day. I still don't get it.

He's obviously not that slow, not that unexplosive (i.e. worst vert among LBs).

Starter

User Info Menu

Didn't he have an injured hamstring at his pro-day?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Didn't he have an injured hamstring at his pro-day?
    "Sandbagging" so he would drop to the Steelers!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

Also, I think there's something to be said about actually being an outstanding FOOTBALL player as opposed to just a great athlete.

Jones was a dominant defensive player and THE dominant pass rusher in the absolute best conference in college football. I put waaaaay more stock in actual game film than I do combine #'s.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Also, I think there's something to be said about actually being an outstanding FOOTBALL player as opposed to just a great athlete.

Jones was a dominant defensive player and THE dominant pass rusher in the absolute best conference in college football. I put waaaaay more stock in actual game film than I do combine #'s.
    NO question... as do I! But there is a difference, running say a 4.7 (which would still be slow for a player of his seeming play speed) and running a ridiculous time like 4.9.

The 4.7 time would be quickly dismissed, as you say, for a guy who plays lights-out when it is time. But 4.9 is molasses slow, and it becomes impossible to ignore.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    NO question... as do I! But there is a difference, running say a 4.7 (which would still be slow for a player of his seeming play speed) and running a ridiculous time like 4.9.

The 4.7 time would be quickly dismissed, as you say, for a guy who plays lights-out when it is time. But 4.9 is molasses slow, and it becomes impossible to ignore.
    Vontaze Burfict.....Bengals best LBer last year....127 tackles.....literally the worste combine player in the 2012 draft....ran an over 5 second 40.

Pre-draft quote:

"He could go undrafted. That's how bad his Combine was. It all started when Burfict blamed others for his struggles this past season during Sunday's press conference...Burfict would later reportedly bomb during the team interviews. It got even worse when he hit the field. Burfict ran 4.93 and 5.10 in his two 40 attempts with an awful 10-yard split of 1.70. His broad jump (8- and vertical leap (30 inches) also indicated that he has no burst. I'm not done. Burfict had some of the shortest arms of any linebacker in Indianapolis (31 1/4). You'd think this would help his bench press, but he elected not to participate in the weight room. Again, Burfict could go undrafted. It's amazing how far he's fallen in six months."

All Pac 10 dominant player. Projected 1st rounder.......absolute combine DOG on a scale that DWARFS what Jones did.

DID NOT MATTER....he is a PLAYER period.

127 tackles as an outside LBer.......

We drafted an inside LBer who got hurt (no telling how good he might have been).....regardless, I say Burfect would look REAL NICE on the inside in our defense.

Until his play shows otherwise, to me the combine means NOTHING in my judgement of Jones.
    As the coaches keep saying.......if he had a great combine, we would have never had the chance to get him.
    Be thankful he ran a terrible 40.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Vontaze Burfict.....Bengals best LBer last year....127 tackles.....literally the worste combine player in the 2012 draft....ran an over 5 second 40.

Pre-draft quote:

"He could go undrafted. That's how bad his Combine was. It all started when Burfict blamed others for his struggles this past season during Sunday's press conference...Burfict would later reportedly bomb during the team interviews. It got even worse when he hit the field. Burfict ran 4.93 and 5.10 in his two 40 attempts with an awful 10-yard split of 1.70. His broad jump (8- and vertical leap (30 inches) also indicated that he has no burst. I'm not done. Burfict had some of the shortest arms of any linebacker in Indianapolis (31 1/4). You'd think this would help his bench press, but he elected not to participate in the weight room. Again, Burfict could go undrafted. It's amazing how far he's fallen in six months."

All Pac 10 dominant player. Projected 1st rounder.......absolute combine DOG on a scale that DWARFS what Jones did.

DID NOT MATTER....he is a PLAYER period.

127 tackles as an outside LBer.......

We drafted an inside LBer who got hurt (no telling how good he might have been).....regardless, I say Burfect would look REAL NICE on the inside in our defense.

Until his play shows otherwise, to me the combine means NOTHING in my judgement of Jones.
    As the coaches keep saying.......if he had a great combine, we would have never had the chance to get him.
    Be thankful he ran a terrible 40.
    I'm with you Cap'n. I will take a player who puts up impressive numbers while playing the game vs. a player who has impressive combine numbers any day of the week and, since we are talking football, twice on Sundays.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Give me a guy who produces on the field opposed to the guy with "upside" anytime. That's why I loved the Jones pick.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!