Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jarvis Jones: 'I brought it' in Backs on 'Backers drill

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Speaking of Jarvis Jones, the Steelers aren’t going to start him at right outside linebacker, at least not now, until he is able to eliminate most of his mental mistakes. The Steelers do not think it is fair to other members of the defense if one player, even a No. 1 draft pick, does not know his assignments or makes mental mistakes on the field. This is not to suggest that Jones does not know what he is doing. Rather, they will proceed cautiously until he has a better understanding of what to do. But, in one week, the coaches have seen in Jones everything they saw from him in college, including bull-rushing the quarterback.

[URL]http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/122164-gerry-the-stretch-is-no-good-if-you-dont-have-the-right-rb[/URL]
    No worry. Worilds will likely get hurt as he always does and Jarvis Jones will win the starting job by default.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The key to winning a job as an OLB for the Steelers is having a name that starts with J.

Jason Gildon, Joey Porter, James Harrison, Jason Worilds (maybe)

Jarvis Jones has two J's. The job is therefore his to lose.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    NO question... as do I! But there is a difference, running say a 4.7 (which would still be slow for a player of his seeming play speed) and running a ridiculous time like 4.9.

The 4.7 time would be quickly dismissed, as you say, for a guy who plays lights-out when it is time. But 4.9 is molasses slow, and it becomes impossible to ignore.
    Vontaze Burfict.....Bengals best LBer last year....127 tackles.....literally the worste combine player in the 2012 draft....ran an over 5 second 40.

Pre-draft quote:

"He could go undrafted. That's how bad his Combine was. It all started when Burfict blamed others for his struggles this past season during Sunday's press conference...Burfict would later reportedly bomb during the team interviews. It got even worse when he hit the field. Burfict ran 4.93 and 5.10 in his two 40 attempts with an awful 10-yard split of 1.70. His broad jump (8- and vertical leap (30 inches) also indicated that he has no burst. I'm not done. Burfict had some of the shortest arms of any linebacker in Indianapolis (31 1/4). You'd think this would help his bench press, but he elected not to participate in the weight room. Again, Burfict could go undrafted. It's amazing how far he's fallen in six months."

All Pac 10 dominant player. Projected 1st rounder.......absolute combine DOG on a scale that DWARFS what Jones did.

DID NOT MATTER....he is a PLAYER period.

127 tackles as an outside LBer.......

We drafted an inside LBer who got hurt (no telling how good he might have been).....regardless, I say Burfect would look REAL NICE on the inside in our defense.

Until his play shows otherwise, to me the combine means NOTHING in my judgement of Jones.
    As the coaches keep saying.......if he had a great combine, we would have never had the chance to get him.
    Be thankful he ran a terrible 40.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    The key to winning a job as an OLB for the Steelers is having a name that starts with J.

Jason Gildon, Joey Porter, James Harrison, Jason Worilds (maybe)

Jarvis Jones has two J's. The job is therefore his to lose.
    The ultimate Steeler OLBer perhaps?

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Vontaze Burfict.....Bengals best LBer last year....127 tackles.....literally the worste combine player in the 2012 draft....ran an over 5 second 40.

Pre-draft quote:

"He could go undrafted. That's how bad his Combine was. It all started when Burfict blamed others for his struggles this past season during Sunday's press conference...Burfict would later reportedly bomb during the team interviews. It got even worse when he hit the field. Burfict ran 4.93 and 5.10 in his two 40 attempts with an awful 10-yard split of 1.70. His broad jump (8- and vertical leap (30 inches) also indicated that he has no burst. I'm not done. Burfict had some of the shortest arms of any linebacker in Indianapolis (31 1/4). You'd think this would help his bench press, but he elected not to participate in the weight room. Again, Burfict could go undrafted. It's amazing how far he's fallen in six months."

All Pac 10 dominant player. Projected 1st rounder.......absolute combine DOG on a scale that DWARFS what Jones did.

DID NOT MATTER....he is a PLAYER period.

127 tackles as an outside LBer.......

We drafted an inside LBer who got hurt (no telling how good he might have been).....regardless, I say Burfect would look REAL NICE on the inside in our defense.

Until his play shows otherwise, to me the combine means NOTHING in my judgement of Jones.
    As the coaches keep saying.......if he had a great combine, we would have never had the chance to get him.
    Be thankful he ran a terrible 40.
    I'm with you Cap'n. I will take a player who puts up impressive numbers while playing the game vs. a player who has impressive combine numbers any day of the week and, since we are talking football, twice on Sundays.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib:

Jarvis Jones just put on a clinic to end practice. Time for the rookie to graduate from third team.

[URL]https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/...07107433660416[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha