Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers want to run the ball

Legend

User Info Menu

Rookie Bell getting plenty of reps for Steelers

Posted by Darin Gantt on July 30, 2013

As it pertains to the Steelers running back position, what you see may not be what you get.

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, rookie Le’Veon Bell got the majority of the work with the starting in team drills Monday, but Steelers coach Mike Tomlin cautioned not to read too much into it.

“But I’m sure you guys will run with it, so go ahead,” Tomlin said.

Bell got more work than any other back in pass protection drills, and took four of the five reps in an 11-on-11 drill during the first fully padded practice of camp.

The Steelers have incumbent backs Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer, but the second-rounder isn’t taking anything for granted.

“He just wanted me to compete,” Bell said. “I’m a rookie, a running back, I have to pass-protect. That’s something he wants me to see so he put me against some of his better players.”

It’s smart to push Bell forward, to see if he can be something greater than what they have on hand. The Steelers want to run more this year, and he might be their best chance to be something other than ordinary there.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/30/rookie-bell-getting-plenty-of-reps-for-steelers/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Gantt
    The Steelers want to run more this year, and he might be their best chance to be something other than ordinary there.
    Again, do we really want to run MORE?? Or do we simply want to run BETTER?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    If the former is true, then I have a bad feeling we'll see too much of this:

1st Down: RUTM, no gain
    2nd Down: RUTM, loss of 3 yards
    3rd Down: Aww crap..... Ben help!

That essentially shuts down your own running game and puts the QB in more danger.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Last year, the Steelers were limited to RUTM by personnel...now, with the younger o-line and changed blocking scheme, I think we'll at least see some RTR and RTL as well...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    If the former is true, then I have a bad feeling we'll see too much of this:

1st Down: RUTM, no gain
    2nd Down: RUTM, loss of 3 yards
    3rd Down: Aww crap..... Ben help!

That essentially shuts down your own running game and puts the QB in more danger.
    A slight modificaton to your 3rd down, Ben help scenario...

3rd and 13 on the 35 yard line....... Ben drops back.... takes a 12 yard sack after 5+ seconds of trying to make something out of nothing (How about throwing the ball away?!?).
    Now, it's 4th and 25 on the 47 yard line and out of Suisham's range. Thanks Ben! We wanted you to help....... not take us out of field goal range.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    A slight modificaton to your 3rd down, Ben help scenario...

3rd and 13 on the 35 yard line....... Ben drops back.... takes a 12 yard sack after 5+ seconds of trying to make something out of nothing (How about throwing the ball away?!?).
    Now, it's 4th and 25 on the 47 yard line and out of Suisham's range. Thanks Ben! We wanted you to help....... not take us out of field goal range.
    Someone really doesn't like Ben, does he? Also, you seem to be missing the point. The idea is to not put yourself in 3rd & long with terrible play calling. If you're bitching at the QB for taking a sack on 3rd & long, is it the QB, or was it the play-calling on the RUTMs on the first two downs?
    Last edited by Captain QB; 07-31-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I think a lot of people are confused by that. We definitely want to run the ball better. If we run better we MIGHT run more so then maybe our franchise QB can remain healthy. I think Ben is the best play action passer in the league so if our opponents have to worry about us running it will only help him and the team.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    Someone really doesn't like Ben, does he? Also, you seem to be missing the point. The idea is to not put yourself in 3rd & long with terrible play calling. If you're bitching at the QB for taking a sack on 3rd & long, is it the QB, or was it the play-calling on the RUTMs on the first two downs?
    Plus. If he throws it away. The ball is on the 35 yard line making it a 52 yard FG. Not exactly a gimmie for anyone but expecially sushi

Legend

User Info Menu

cRash is going to love this

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

With more and more defenses designed to stop the pass and rush the passer, it's not going to be long before offenses with a big strong running back can run the ball between the guards for six yards a carry and run over the oncoming 230 pound middle linebacker.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.