Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Notes from Monday's Practice

  1. #1

    Notes from Monday's Practice

    I always enjoy reading about camp:

    http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot....ice-notes.html

    I read good things about McFadden a few other places as well. Would be interesting to see him follow the Harrison path - not expecting a DPOY, but it would be great to see him develop into solid depth inside.

  2. #2
    Legend fordfixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    State of confusion
    Posts
    7,682
    Thanks for posting

    Molon labe

    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell



    American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

  3. #3
    Jim Wexell has a nice write up as well after today's practice. It's on his pay-site but this article was a freebie so I'll post a link here.

    http://pit.scout.com/2/1311157.html

    Some good stuff about Jarvis Jones and how well he uses leverage and his hands while rushing the passer. Tomlin took notice too... "Ninety-five's heavy handed..."

  4. #4
    Legend fordfixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    State of confusion
    Posts
    7,682
    Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Jim Wexell has a nice write up as well after today's practice. It's on his pay-site but this article was a freebie so I'll post a link here.

    http://pit.scout.com/2/1311157.html

    Some good stuff about Jarvis Jones and how well he uses leverage and his hands while rushing the passer. Tomlin took notice too... "Ninety-five's heavy handed..."
    Nice read thanks

    Molon labe

    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell



    American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

  5. #5
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,098
    For you guys out there that have some insight into the backs on backers drill, is there a percentage of time that the coaches expect the backer to win, a percentage of time they expect the back to win and a percentage of time they expect a draw?

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hotlanta
    Posts
    2,154
    Pappy - I read this last night (not percentages but somewhat answers your question):

    Tomlin tried to give the running backs a little advantage by taking out some of the element of surprise, letting them know which linebacker was coming their way.

    “I acknowledge sometimes that it’s a tough enough drill for the running backs, let alone trying to figure out if it is LaMarr Woodley or Lawrence Timmons coming at you,” said Tomlin. “From time-to-time I help those guys out to level the playing field.”

    The linebackers still came out on top in the drill, something that isn't unusual as it is weighted more heavily in the defenses favor with the running backs not permitted to cut block. And Jones definitely did his part to help the linebackers cause.

  7. #7
    Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    729
    Interesting read.

    Can someone explain why in an online article like this, there was so much use of the "@" symbol? Does it serve a purpose?

    @ Bell
    @ Jones
    @ Rookie Markus Wheaton
    @ Tough day
    @ Cortez Allen (knee)

  8. #8
    Hall of Famer SidSmythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western NY (south of Rochester, NY)
    Posts
    2,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Interesting read.

    Can someone explain why in an online article like this, there was so much use of the "@" symbol? Does it serve a purpose?

    @ Bell
    @ Jones
    @ Rookie Markus Wheaton
    @ Tough day
    @ Cortez Allen (knee)
    It's a SOCIAL MEDIA thing when you're referring to someone.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

  9. #9
    I mentioned Jarvis Jones' hands in my earlier post, but I feel like it's important enough to mention again. A pass rusher this young who is already utilizing technique like this is waaaay ahead of the curve IMO.

    We've all seen plenty of pass rushers slam into lineman, TE's and RB's only to create a large collision but not get past their blocker to get to the QB. For #95 to be surprising people with his hand-work this early is awesome. Can't wait to see more of this kid during camp and the rest of the preseason.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    I mentioned Jarvis Jones' hands in my earlier post, but I feel like it's important enough to mention again. A pass rusher this young who is already utilizing technique like this is waaaay ahead of the curve IMO.

    We've all seen plenty of pass rushers slam into lineman, TE's and RB's only to create a large collision but not get past their blocker to get to the QB. For #95 to be surprising people with his hand-work this early is awesome. Can't wait to see more of this kid during camp and the rest of the preseason.
    I agree. The article on Jones was really encouraging. Sounds like he has good technique and good instincts. Really excited to see what he can do.

    Also interesting that he was on the inside a bit. I'd love to see a passing defense with Jones, Woodley and Worilds all on the field at once.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •