Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Butler Says Woodley is "Where We Need to Have Him"

Legend

User Info Menu

Butler Says Woodley is "Where We Need to Have Him"

Woodley playing up to form is crucial for this team, both this year and moving forward. His cap number, especially with all the restructurings, makes it essential that he perform like he did in the past.[URL="http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2013/07/29/steelers-lb-coach-says-woodley-is-where-we-need-to-have-him/"]

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2013/07/29/steelers-lb-coach-says-woodley-is-where-we-need-to-have-him/[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Mark it down, Woodley will tear it up this season. Flucco should be quivering right now.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You said it, phillyesq. He has to become Terrell Suggs for us, if we are going to go where we want to go.

Legend

User Info Menu

Woodley wants to rush more

Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley loves to rush the quarterback. It’s what he excels at. It’s what he does. It’s his passion.

His hope is he gets to do it a lot more this year.

Woodley said last year he rushed the quarterback about 50 percent of the time on passing downs, dropping back in coverage the other 50 percent. He wants to see the scale tip more in favor of rushing this year.

“They pay me to rush, so hopefully I will be rushing and not covering receivers and tight ends down the field,” said Woodley. “I felt like I dropped back a lot last year, but that was the scheme. I would like to get back to doing more rushing.”

Woodley finished the 2012 season with four sacks, with a hamstring injury and high ankle sprain contributing to that number being down from nine in 2011. This year he wants to bring the sack numbers back up again.

“My game is predicated on sacks and this defense is predicated on getting to the quarterback, making him make bad decisions and allowing our secondary to make plays,” said Woodley. “I am asked to drop more. Other outside linebackers rush more. When my number is called I just have to make it count.”

Woodley is going to have someone different lining up outside with him this year after James Harrison wasn’t retained and then went on to sign with the Cincinnati Bengals. Whether it’s veteran Jason Worilds or rookie Jarvis Jones that steps up, getting both to develop is going to be a key.

“It’s definitely important,” said Woodley. “Here in Pittsburgh outside linebackers play off one another. When there are two good ones here they have a lot of sacks and help the team out because you can’t just focus on one guy.”

Woodley likes what he has seen so far from Jones in camp, even though it’s just a few days in.

“He looked good, not just in backs-on-backers,” said Woodley. “Going against our offense he is looking good, dropping back in coverage, rushing the quarterback. We went against the offensive line in one-on-one pass rush and he did a great job.”

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Woodley-wants-to-rush-more/ce5a0e70-f57f-460c-815c-693fd512a86f[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Certainly good news after he pulled a Cowher (2006) and mailed it in the past 2 seasons.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Woodley wants to rush more

Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley loves to rush the quarterback. It’s what he excels at. It’s what he does. It’s his passion.

His hope is he gets to do it a lot more this year.

Woodley said last year he rushed the quarterback about 50 percent of the time on passing downs, dropping back in coverage the other 50 percent. He wants to see the scale tip more in favor of rushing this year.

“They pay me to rush, so hopefully I will be rushing and not covering receivers and tight ends down the field,” said Woodley. “I felt like I dropped back a lot last year, but that was the scheme. I would like to get back to doing more rushing.”

Woodley finished the 2012 season with four sacks, with a hamstring injury and high ankle sprain contributing to that number being down from nine in 2011. This year he wants to bring the sack numbers back up again.

“My game is predicated on sacks and this defense is predicated on getting to the quarterback, making him make bad decisions and allowing our secondary to make plays,” said Woodley. “I am asked to drop more. Other outside linebackers rush more. When my number is called I just have to make it count.”

Woodley is going to have someone different lining up outside with him this year after James Harrison wasn’t retained and then went on to sign with the Cincinnati Bengals. Whether it’s veteran Jason Worilds or rookie Jarvis Jones that steps up, getting both to develop is going to be a key.

“It’s definitely important,” said Woodley. “Here in Pittsburgh outside linebackers play off one another. When there are two good ones here they have a lot of sacks and help the team out because you can’t just focus on one guy.”

Woodley likes what he has seen so far from Jones in camp, even though it’s just a few days in.

“He looked good, not just in backs-on-backers,” said Woodley. “Going against our offense he is looking good, dropping back in coverage, rushing the quarterback. We went against the offensive line in one-on-one pass rush and he did a great job.”

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Woodley-wants-to-rush-more/ce5a0e70-f57f-460c-815c-693fd512a86f[/URL]

Let's face it, like I have said for a few years now Woodley is a DE pretending to be a OLB. If he is dropping into coverage we are wasting the strongest part of his game. Let Woodley rush more and watch the injuries go away. His body isn't made for chasing RBs in pass patterns.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Let's face it, like I have said for a few years now Woodley is a DE pretending to be a OLB. If he is dropping into coverage we are wasting the strongest part of his game. Let Woodley rush more and watch the injuries go away. His body isn't made for chasing RBs in pass patterns.
    Nobody is really saying that except for you. And, looking at the numbers, Woodley was in coverage less last year than he was in 2010, when he recorded 10 sacks, 2 picks, 3 FF.

Ed Bouchette@EdBouchette[URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/EdBouchette/status/362982827014369281"]28m[/URL]“[URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/FBALL_Andrea"]@FBALL_Andrea[/URL]: [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/EdBouchette"]@EdBouchette[/URL] According to [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/PFF"]@PFF[/URL], Woodley had 135 coverage snaps last year, 104 in 2011 and 204 in 2010." ...Missed 1/2 of '11

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Nobody is really saying that except for you. And, looking at the numbers, Woodley was in coverage less last year than he was in 2010, when he recorded 10 sacks, 2 picks, 3 FF.
    Nice numbers making the point well.
    Heck we drop DLinemen into coverage, this is nothing new.
    The key to our defense is YOU DONT KNOW WHO is coming, thus Woodley like EVERYONE ELSE needs to do his share of drop backs.

Truth as you show above is the issue is not fewer opportunities but it was a lack of EFFECTIVENESS.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Read Woodley's words in the article. He isn't buying it.

"My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well, them dropping him into coverage is more a function of his pass-rushing prowess then it is the team's decision. You think we'd drop Aldon Smith the same amount? No. Because Smith gets to the QB. Woodley wasn't (because he got fat), and so they have to play more games with him (i.e. trying to fool them).