Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Butler Says Woodley is "Where We Need to Have Him"

Backup

User Info Menu

It would be fair to check the statistics before questioning DL and scheme....Obviously you missed the thread from phillyesq.

Ed Bouchette@EdBouchette[URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/EdBouchette/status/362982827014369281"]28m[/URL]“[URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/FBALL_Andrea"]@FBALL_Andrea[/URL]: [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/EdBouchette"]@EdBouchette[/URL] According to [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/PFF"]@PFF[/URL], Woodley had 135 coverage snaps last year, 104 in 2011 and 204 in 2010." ...Missed 1/2 of '11

Seems to me that Woodley had more coverage sacks in 2010...and slightly less in 2011...with below average production. Check sack totals in 2010....

Sounds like someone coming to work not in shape to do their job....man up...dont make excuses.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Well, them dropping him into coverage is more a function of his pass-rushing prowess then it is the team's decision. You think we'd drop Aldon Smith the same amount? No. Because Smith gets to the QB. Woodley wasn't (because he got fat), and so they have to play more games with him (i.e. trying to fool them).
    Agreed. Woodley's got it backwards. Wants more rushes to show what he can do, rather than making the most of those opportunities that he is given.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ed: Linebackers 'A Question Mark'

TUESDAY, 06 AUGUST 2013 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

James Harrison left for Cincinnati, LaMarr Woodley is trying to overcome the past 1 ½ seasons of inadequate play, and James Farrior is two years removed.

What has become of the great Steelers linebacking corps, the position that produced the most Pro Bowl appearances in franchise history?

“It’s a question mark,’’ said Larry Foote, the greybeard and ironman of the group.

Linebacker has been the one position that has avoided question mark status for a long time, but that’s precisely what they are heading into 2013, especially on the outside.

Inside, Foote and Lawrence Timmons were rocks, the top two tacklers on the team, although Foote will dispute who finished first. Outside, they were disappointing the past two seasons. Woodley had four sacks the past 1 ½ seasons and Harrison’s injuries reduced his effectiveness at the same time.

“We need Woodley to go back to what he’s normally doing,’’ Foote said. “And we need whoever’s going to fill those shoes [of Harrison’s] – by committee whatever – we need an unknown guy to make his presence known, to emerge and be a force.”

It’s a committee of two at right outside linebacker at the moment and one of those did not practice since last Thursday. Jason Worilds, who has been a backup in his first three seasons since the Steelers drafted him in the second round, is getting the chance to start in Harrison’s spot, but he’s missed the past four practices. They also drafted Jarvis Jones on the first round and he’s been playing with the first team while Worild’s heals.

There is potential there. IF Woodley returns to form and IF Jones and/or Worilds make people forget Harrison.

“He looks good,’’ Foote said of Jones. “You always look at the first-round pick and he looks like he’s going to fit the bill.

“That position is easy. If I had it my way, I’d be an outside linebacker; you get 10 sacks and you’re the man. Whoever gets sacks is going to play.”

[URL]https://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/122212-ed-linebackers-a-question-mark[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Could this be like the first time in over 20 years where Pittsburgh is NOT know for it's LBs? Damn.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And let's remember folks, OTs are pretty much allowed to hold now. So Woodley will need to re-tune his technique if he wants to remain legitimate now.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Could this be like the first time in over 20 years where Pittsburgh is NOT know for it's LBs? Damn.
    People are overreacting. Timmons is a monster, Woodley seems to be back to form and we have a couple "unknowns' on the other side but one is a highly touted first round talent and the other has shown flashes. It's not like things are DRASTICALLY different just because James went to the Bengals. Hell if both Worilds and Jones can play at a high level things are even more dangerous. Let's see what we have when the real games come around before we pass any real judgement. Bouchette has never been Mr. Sunshine which I can appreciate but it's way to early to be joining chicken little.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Whoa! Careful now the scheme can't be questioned not even by a player who is part of it. Why give any credence to a player who wants to attack the QB when we can be 'occupying blockers"
    Oh this is toooo funny.
    That IS attacking the QB OV.
    Lamar just LOOKS LIKE his job is to occupy blockers because he was too fat and slow to beat them.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Let Timmons get after the QB more!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

^ - This! Agreed, Timmons should be allowed to blitz more.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Let Timmons get after the QB more!
    In other words, I'm wrong again, so I'll change the conversation!