Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top reasons I am excited about this season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Top reasons I am excited about this season.

I've been reading about the demise of the Steelers for many years every offseason. Believe it or not, I believe the Steelers are actually stronger this season for the following reasons.

1) The biggest reason I'm excited is it's the second year in Haley's system and Ben is no longer sulking. I don't care what any fan says, Haley has proven he is a successful OC, and that will continue in the Burgh. Ben having more say in the O will also produce quality dividends.

2) Le'Veon Bell-I haven't been this excited about a pick in many years. He is an instant upgrade to a stale running game. I believe he is starter by game 1 or 2, and has himself a 1300+ yard season.

3) WRs-While losing Wallace was a big deal, I suspect we won't be missing much when Wheaton gets his PT. In the long run, I believe Wheaton will have fans saying Wallace who?

4) OL-This OL is stacked with young, premium draft pick talent. At minimum if this OL stays healthy it should be a road grader for the running game. Having DD back is huge. I am concerned about Adams or Gibson being able to protect Ben's blindside.

5) Ben being healthy and on board coming off a disappointing season where he is being disrepected by nearly everyone with a keyboard or a pen. If Ben stays healthy I expect a record season.

6) Having a healthy Troy would be great but I doubt he stays healthy based on history. But, Golden excites me...not to mention Thomas. I'm eager to see they young guys get some PT.

7) Harrison was a beast in his prime, but due to health issues has some real rough patches. Jones and Worilds should be able to fill in nicely, and I suspect we see Woodley show up this season.

Heyward and McClendon could be serious upgrades on the DL. I'm really hoping Heyward shows capable of handling starter duties this season.

9) The Steelers always play better when disrespected and minimized. They eat that stuff up for breakfast, feeding off the negativity.

I have the Steelers going 11-5, with another Super Bowl run in the future this season.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree Shawn, I am very excited about this season. One huge reason is a combination of your #1 and #3. Haley came in last season trying to install a new offense with his #1 receiver not coming to camp, and then playing the season like he never arrived. Other than a couple of nice highlights, he was not effective during most plays that he was in the game for.

This year Haley is not thinking about whether or not he has to include a player who isn't there in his system. He has a harder worker as his new #1, and that rubs off on the rest, especially a rook. If Sanders can stay healthy, I can see some much more exciting things out of this offense.

I will say this over and over all year...If we get solid play from our two question mark tackles then this offense will be great.

Legend

User Info Menu

Because it's not baseball...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I agree Shawn, I am very excited about this season. One huge reason is a combination of your #1 and #3. Haley came in last season trying to install a new offense with his #1 receiver not coming to camp, and then playing the season like he never arrived. Other than a couple of nice highlights, he was not effective during most plays that he was in the game for.

This year Haley is not thinking about whether or not he has to include a player who isn't there in his system. He has a harder worker as his new #1, and that rubs off on the rest, especially a rook. If Sanders can stay healthy, I can see some much more exciting things out of this offense.

I will say this over and over all year...If we get solid play from our two question mark tackles then this offense will be great.
    You nailed it. Our two young tackles are the biggest question marks. If they prove to be above average this O will be special.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    1) The biggest reason I'm excited is it's the second year in Haley's system and Ben is no longer sulking. I don't care what any fan says, Haley has proven he is a successful OC, and that will continue in the Burgh. Ben having more say in the O will also produce quality dividends.
    Exactly how has he proven it? Lets take a look at the teams the Steelers beat last season:

Jets
    Eagles
    Bengals
    Redskins
    Giants
    Chiefs
    Ravens
    Browns

The Jets, Eagles, Chiefs, and Browns sucked and the Giants were mediocre. The win against the Ravens was a fluke. The two playoff teams they did beat, the Bengals and Redskins, were both at low-points in their seasons when facing the Steelers as they both had losing records at the time of those games.

So please explain why you think Haley's offense should be labeled a success?

Oh, and have a bit of humility after an 8-8 season. To assume they are going to go on a Super Bowl run after how lousy last season was is very arrogant.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    Exactly how has he proven it? Lets take a look at the teams the Steelers beat last season:

Jets
    Eagles
    Bengals
    Redskins
    Giants
    Chiefs
    Ravens
    Browns

The Jets, Eagles, Chiefs, and Browns sucked and the Giants were mediocre. The win against the Ravens was a fluke. The two playoff teams they did beat, the Bengals and Redskins, were both at low-points in their seasons when facing the Steelers as they both had losing records at the time of those games.

Oh, and have a bit of humility after an 8-8 season. To assume they are going to go on a Super Bowl run after how lousy last season was is very arrogant.
    Do you have anything negative to add?
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post

Jets
    Eagles
    Bengals
    Redskins
    Giants
    Chiefs
    Ravens
    Browns

Shawn said, "Haley has proven he is a successful OC, and that will continue in the Burgh."

That's obviously referencing his prior successful stint as an O.C. in Arizona, where the Cardinals rode their offensive success to the Super Bowl (where they absolutely shredded our historically great 2008 defense in the 2nd half, taking a late lead that required a remarkable comeback drive by Ben and Tone in order to earn that ring).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes Ruthless that is exactly what I meant. He has a proven track record with a couple other teams. I see no reason he can't bring out the best in Ben and the rest of the O.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Shawn said, "Haley has proven he is a successful OC, and that will continue in the Burgh."

That's obviously referencing his prior successful stint as an O.C. in Arizona, where the Cardinals rode their offensive success to the Super Bowl (where they absolutely shredded our historically great 2008 defense in the 2nd half, taking a late lead that required a remarkable comeback drive by Ben and Tone in order to earn that ring).
    Okay, that's one good season in Arizona with Warner, Fitzgerald, and Boldin. What else has he done to be so highly praised by Pittsburgh other than the fact Art Rooney II hired him?

Do you have anything negative to add?
    It was a fair question. After an 8-8 season don't get pissed off when people bring things like that up.

Legend

User Info Menu

Captain QB, you do realize Haley took the pathetic 2-14 Chiefs and turned them around in just two seasons right? AFC West title...not too bad when you have Matt Cassell as your QB.