Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why so late?

Legend

User Info Menu

Why so late?

I never understand why the Steelers open camp so late compared to some other teams. This year it will be a week after some are reporting. I would think coming off and 8-8 record they would want to start work as soon as possible. Anyone have any insights?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I never understand why the Steelers open camp so late compared to some other teams. This year it will be a week after some are reporting. I would think coming off and 8-8 record they would want to start work as soon as possible. Anyone have any insights?
    It's a long season. No one's winning a SuperBowl in the first week of camp. I don't think it's a big deal. I imagine a lot of guys are already there anyways.

I remember the stories of Chuck Noll being home every night for family dinner. As well prepared as he was, I remember him saying something along the lines of it's not the amount of hours you work. Its your efficiency during the hours you do work. Having less time makes you more efficient.

I do wonder the impact Chip in Philly's gonna have on team prep across the league in time. He seems to be pushing efficiency to the max. A lot of the stuff he does is different, but in principle he kinda reminds me of Noll from a theory/approach perspective to a degree.

Legend

User Info Menu

I guess teams are on their own timelines, but isn't the number of overall camp days the same? I thought the days were dictated by the union contract. Could be wrong, but I can't see the league giving certain teams a week longer of practice.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It's all a big conspiracy against the Steelers. Just like the fact the NFL evolved into a passing leauge, that too is a conspiracy against the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    It's all a big conspiracy against the Steelers. Just like the fact the NFL evolved into a passing leauge, that too is a conspiracy against the Steelers.

Dang! I knew it!
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

stupid rooneys

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    It's a long season. No one's winning a SuperBowl in the first week of camp. I don't think it's a big deal. I imagine a lot of guys are already there anyways.

I remember the stories of Chuck Noll being home every night for family dinner. As well prepared as he was, I remember him saying something along the lines of it's not the amount of hours you work. Its your efficiency during the hours you do work. Having less time makes you more efficient.
    You're absolutely right Flippy. Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. Repetitions of bad techniques will only replicate themselves in the game, I have no doubt TS staff scrutinizes every move...as they should.

Backup

User Info Menu

The Steelers report to camp on July 25, the same day as 10 other teams. Only the Cardinals (July 23) and Saints (July 24) report to camp earlier.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Also worth mentioning in this thread, the Steelers still go away for camp, which many teams no longer do (likely as a cost cutting measure). There are more teams that are staying local and conducting camp in their training facilities.

I would have to think that going away for camp can only help with team building.

Backup

User Info Menu

This year is different than many other years in recent history. This camp is all about some young players that MUST step up in order for this team to compete. Did they learn enough about the "systems" in OTA sessions to allow them to really have a shot at starting jobs? Would and extra week of camp allow them to be more prepared to win starting jobs? Marcus Wheaton is one guy who is already behind the curve... Would more camp sessions help Jarvis Jones acclimate to the scheme? I would love to see this team jump on some opponents right out of the gate. But that is only possible if the all the young talent is prepared for opening day.