Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Camp Battles

Legend

User Info Menu

Training Camp Battles

From Dale Lolley's blog. One I think he left out is backup NT, which should be interesting with Te'amu, Fangupo and Al Woods in the mix.

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Training camp battles to watch

With training camp set to start at the end of the week, here are a few of the battles that will be contested over the next few weeks:

Nickle corner: William Gay was re-signed and is the frontrunner, but third-year pro Curtis Brown can't be overlooked. Gay has played the position in the past and contrary to some fans' beliefs, has played well as the third corner. But Brown has more upside. Josh Victorian, DeMarcus Van Dyke and rookie Terry Hawthorne could be in the mix as well since the Steelers intend to move starter Cortez Allen back into the slot on passing downs. Regardless of who wins the No. 3 job, the Steelers have a great deal of depth.

Running back: Will a true starter emerge? Jonathan Dwyer opened the offseason getting the No. 1 carries, but Isaac Redman had pretty much surpassed him by the end. The Steelers want rookie Le'Veon Bell to win the spot but he's going to have to do just that, win it. He won't be handed the position by default.

Third wide receiver: This should be interesting. We know that Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders will be the starters. But who will be No. 3 in the pecking order, Plaxico Burress, Jerricho Cotchery or rookie Markus Wheaton? It will likely depend on the down and distance, but Cotchery will likely get the majority of snaps as the No. 3 until Wheaton gets his feet under him. The Steelers should take a look at veteran Donald Jones, released by New England last week, as well.

Right outside linebacker: It's Jason Worilds job to lose. Rookie Jarvis Jones might see some time as a situational pass rusher, but Worilds will get every opportunity to run with it - at least until the bye week.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dale nailed it. I agree with all of that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Dale nailed it. I agree with all of that.
    what he said...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How about ZIGGY HOOD vs. CAMERON HEYWARD??? If you ask me Ziggy Hood has NOT proven to be the answer.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

CB: Gay's the 3rd CB. I wonder if Curtis Brown will even make the roster after the way he played last year. This will be the year for Victorian and Van Dyke to develop into the position. I like Victorian.

RB: I think Dwyer starts. I know everyone wants to cut him, but the kid is a violent runner. If Dwyer is magically in shape, Bell might end up splitting carries at best over the long haul. That's a big "if" of course.

WR: Plax came in last year and didn't have a chance to get into game shape. I think having an offseason will help and he's way more talented than anyone else on the roster. Heck, he's probably still more talented than Brown and Sanders. Plus his size creates problems that will open everyone else up. The forgotten one in all of this is Brown. 6th round draft pick. I can't wait to see what he can do. We could use some size on the outside especially without Heath. And I'm expecting Brown to be the surprise of camp.

ROLB: Don't forget Adrian Robinson. I think that kid has something special about him. All the focus is on Worilds vs Jones. And with Worilds track record, he may end up injured. And then who's next? Jones might not be ready. And if Robinson gets a crack, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he turned into a pass rushing phenom.

Legend

User Info Menu

1) I still by my original prediction that Jones starts day one at ROLB.

2) Curtis Brown sticks on the roster due to his ST play. IMO DVD has the ability to step up with his athleticism.

3) Hood/Heyward/aging Keisel, might see a three man, two position rotation.

4) Backup NT is up for grabs, even the starting spot could bring competition. What if Ta'amu can shake off his stupid ways and bring home the potential in year two?

5) 3rd WR - Plax has the one thing that the others cannot learn - size. If the Steelers adapt to the Ravens style of the last few months of last season, which means throw it up and let the big man get it, then he could win this position easily.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Is there any competition for starting NT and McClendon in camp?

Backup

User Info Menu

I don't see all the depth at CB. Gay at his very best is below average. Brown wasn't good last year. Victorian and Van Dyke are just run of the mill CBs that can start when everybody else sucks.

I'm not sold on Sanders as the #2. I know everybody loves him but he hasn't done anything in the NFL yet. Plex could step in at #2 if Sanders falters.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    How about ZIGGY HOOD vs. CAMERON HEYWARD??? If you ask me Ziggy Hood has NOT proven to be the answer.
    I'm a Heyward fan, but if he cant get more PT this season I'm going to start looking at him like a bust. This is the year. Ziggy is suspect, Keisel is old.

Legend

User Info Menu

There’s a lot happening this year at camp.

Other camp battles:

O-line Depth. Figure 2 or 3 guys are needed for back up. Possibly an undrafted FA makes it.

Inside LB back up(s): Williams (rookie) – Rolle – McFadden?

Outside LB back up: Carter – Robinson?

Back Up Safety: Cromarti-Smith – Golden – Ventrone (assuming S. Thomas makes it as a rookie in one back up spot)

H-back/TE: Think they keep Paulsen and D. Johnson and W. Johnson (figure 2 out of 3)?

5th WR: Burress – Gilreath (or a bunch of rooks) (and this assumes Wheaton and Cotchery are 3 and 4 in some order)?

Punter: Butler vs. Moorman (the old man have a chance or just pushing Butler with competition?)?
    Last edited by Ghost; 07-23-2013 at 12:44 PM.