Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: William Gay...

Starter

User Info Menu

William Gay...

...can he HELP set the tone for the defense in 2013?

There are a lot of questions with the defense(let alone the offense) in 2013. Who handles Harrison's responsibilities? who is THE NT on the line? Is Taylor and Allen all we need at CB? Can Golden and Thomas handle their own responsibilities.

I feel that Gay can come in and gather this defense by holding down the nickle responsibilities. By being a leader in this defense.

Gay hasn't been mentioned much during the off-season this year. There has been a lot of talk about the resurgence of Troy. And the addition of Jarvis. And the emergence of McClendon. And the tandem of Taylor and Allen.

But I say to you all that Gays' presence will be huge, not only on third downs, but in the locker room as well.

He has the perfecy position to come in a be a leader on defense. Troy is not a leader vocally. But everyone knows he gives 100%. The LB's have a lot of talent but not a lot of leaders. The defense has Keisel, but he is the strong, silent type.

It will be Gay who comes through as a leader for this defense on and off the field. Why else would the organization bring him back. They demand more from him than ever, and if he doesn't know this, then we are in big trouble.
    Last edited by 8467thekraken; 07-21-2013 at 02:56 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I believe you have more faith in Gay than I do. I think they had a lot of trouble finding a corner on the free agent market last year when Ike went down. WG is a known commodity, knows the defense, etc. I think they've could have done better obviously, but are limited with the cap. I thought I heard rumblings of Tez going to the nickel position for special matchups and someone else sliding over to CB. I'm not confident in Gay at the CB position. Don't think we have much choice though as Brown hasn't shown much so far. Maybe Hawthorne comes thru late in the season??

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Gay has recently played well for us in the nickel position so I think his addition is certainly a boost to the depth of our secondary. As far as being a vocal leader, I have to imagine that would be Clark and maybe Foote to a lesser extent. Having been off the team for a year, Gay just doesn't have the standing in the locker room at this time.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Big Play Willie Gay. Not the best in coverage, but he's got a knack for creating the big play. He's a smart kid and good athlete. I see him as helping us create a couple more turnovers this season and making us a little better as a result.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Big Play Willie Gay. Not the best in coverage, but he's got a knack for creating the big play. He's a smart kid and good athlete. I see him as helping us create a couple more turnovers this season and making us a little better as a result.
    I think Gay catches a lot of crap too for things outside his control. A for instance would be when he was tasked to cover gronk in new england without safety help over top. He too will directly benefit from lake and we may see another dimenson of his game as a direct result. I love the guy personally and hope he finds that extra gear.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    I think Gay catches a lot of crap too for things outside his control. A for instance would be when he was tasked to cover gronk in new england without safety help over top. He too will directly benefit from lake and we may see another dimenson of his game as a direct result. I love the guy personally and hope he finds that extra gear.
    That was one game that came to mind for me. That is a hard task for anybody in the league, particularly a shorter corner.

Gay was awful when asked to start on the outside, but he has always been fine in the nickel. Ideally, you would like to see Hawthorne, DVD or Curtis Brown develop - they all have more raw physical ability. If they don't, Gay is sort of a poor man's Deshea Townsend. You could do better, but you could do a lot worse...

Legend

User Info Menu

WG will make us all weep/curse numerous times throughout this season. If he's a starting CB, the team is screwed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Love it! flip nailed his nickname from louisville, too... suh-weet! I remember comparing him to Deshea when he was drafted and peeps gave me crap and said "wasted pick" when my statement was "he'll be around for many years as a nickel back"... *genius* lol

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    WG will make us all weep/curse numerous times throughout this season. If he's a starting CB, the team is screwed.
    If he is playing outside I agree. But, as a nickle he is solid.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    ...can he HELP set the tone for the defense in 2013? But I say to you all that Gays' presence will be huge, not only on third downs, but in the locker room as well.
    Is that what it all comes down to these days? Where did it all go wrong?