Thread: Shamarko Thomas expects to get fined for his hitting style

Legend

User Info Menu

Shamarko Thomas expects to get fined for his hitting style

I joined colleague Larry Rubama this morning catching up with the impressive gaggle of football talent Ocean Lakes High has turned out in the recent past. Talked with one of the ex-Dolphins, Shamarko Thomas, who dropped by to help at coach Chris Scott’s sweltering youth camp.

Thomas, who played at Syracuse, was drafted in the fourth round by the Pittsburgh Steelers and is expected to apprentice this season at strong safety behind veteran Troy Polamalu.

Thomas’ compelling [URL="http://hamptonroads.com/2013/04/ocean-lakes-grad-ready-nfl-draft"] personal story[/URL], prodigious capacity for work and desire to learn and excel have already drawn plenty of attention in the Steel City. So, too, has the missile-like way Thomas, a burly 5-foot-9, is known to hit receivers and running backs. In light of the NFL’s ultra-sensitivity to violence, Steelers’ officials answered media questions about that in the wake of the draft, suggesting Thomas hits safely and within the rules, but simply with aggression. (Remember Kam Chancellor’s clean, but very big, hit for Seattle on 49ers tight end Vernon Davis last year that reflexively drew flags – because of how it looked -- but, tellingly, no penalty from the league office?)

Anyway, I asked Thomas if in OTAs so far his coaches have discussed with him how he hits and whether they’ve cautioned him to change or to be wary. He smiled and admitted it’s come up, and that the Steelers stress proper form -- i.e. wrapping up, leading with the shoulder and not the head -- rather than going for a “blow up” hit.

“They’re afraid of the fines,” Thomas said. “I don’t want any fines, either.” Still, he predicted in a matter-of-fact way, “I’m gonna get some fines, I’m not gonna lie. That’s just how I play. It’s football.”

[url]http://hamptonroads.com/2013/07/thomas-fine-hitting-hard[/url]
    Last edited by SteelCrazy; 07-17-2013 at 09:59 PM.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

This kid hasn't played a down and we've already got the league giving him fines. This could only be a Steeler we're talking about

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    This kid hasn't played a down and we've already got the league giving him fines. This could only be a Steeler we're talking about
    Has he gotten a call from Goodell yet? :LOL

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

These Syracuse safeties sure do like to make uncalled for predictions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Perhaps someone should talk to him and tell him to keep quiet. Pretty dumb attracting the potential attention of the NFL before camp even starts. Sometimes it is best to say nothing.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Perhaps someone should talk to him and tell him to keep quiet. Pretty dumb attracting the potential attention of the NFL before camp even starts. Sometimes it is best to say nothing.
    I agree with Oviedo x2

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Kinda hard getting fines from the bench. Are they going to fine him 5k for crushing his gatorade cup?