Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaworski ranks Flacco and Ryan better than Ben???

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Matt Ryan has an embarrassment of riches on offense, but was only marginally more efficient than Roethlisberger last season. Even Michael Turner, during his "disappointing" season, had more rushing yards than any Steelers RB, and more TD runs than all Steelers RBs combined. And there's no question that the Falcons had a better offensive line, better WRs, and better health, for that matter. All that helped Matt Ryan to a 99.1 rating last season, versus 97.0 for Roethlisberger. Furthermore, Matt Ryan has committed multiple turnovers in four of his five career playoff games. He takes worse care of the ball than Roethlisberger does. Roethlisberger is still the better QB.
    You said what I said. Only you said it much better.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Take off the rose-colored glasses, geez. I consider Ben elite too, but I can at least see how someone ranks Joe Flacco (just won the SB, had an incredible playoff run) and Matt Ryan (model of regular-season consistency) "ahead" of Ben. I put ahead in quotes, because let's face it: there can only be one #1, one #2, one #3, etc. You might disagree, but to act like it is some sort of slap in Ben's face is ridiculous. As I go through the list, I really can't quibble with much of anything.

NOW... it is highly dubious (i.e. NFLN "Top 100"), when Ben is ranked behind guys (Wilson, RG3, Luck), who Ben has forgotten more football than they've even played. Ben has probably played a comparable number of playoff games, to their entire careers.

So in that case, it invalidates the whole ranking system. In the case of Jaws, you guys act like Tim Tebow was ranked ahead of him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post

So in that case, it invalidates the whole ranking system. In the case of Jaws, you guys act like Tim Tebow was ranked ahead of him.
    That was Skip Bayless' ranking of QB list.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Take off the rose-colored glasses, geez. I consider Ben elite too, but I can at least see how someone ranks Joe Flacco (just won the SB, had an incredible playoff run) and Matt Ryan (model of regular-season consistency) "ahead" of Ben. I put ahead in quotes, because let's face it: there can only be one #1, one #2, one #3, etc. You might disagree, but to act like it is some sort of slap in Ben's face is ridiculous. As I go through the list, I really can't quibble with much of anything.

NOW... it is highly dubious (i.e. NFLN "Top 100"), when Ben is ranked behind guys (Wilson, RG3, Luck), who Ben has forgotten more football than they've even played. Ben has probably played a comparable number of playoff games, to their entire careers.

Did you know Jaws also has Flacco and Ryan ranked ahead of Brees? Did you also realize he has Schaub in the top 10?

My point is besides where Ben is ranked (which I admit I think is two spots too low), there are quite a few other flaws with Jaws' rankings this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Matt Ryan has an embarrassment of riches on offense, but was only marginally more efficient than Roethlisberger last season. Even Michael Turner, during his "disappointing" season, had more rushing yards than any Steelers RB, and more TD runs than all Steelers RBs combined. And there's no question that the Falcons had a better offensive line, better WRs, and better health, for that matter. All that helped Matt Ryan to a 99.1 rating last season, versus 97.0 for Roethlisberger. Furthermore, Matt Ryan has committed multiple turnovers in four of his five career playoff games. He takes worse care of the ball than Roethlisberger does. Roethlisberger is still the better QB.
    has ben ever had even 1 of those type of guys as good as jones or white at WR ever?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    has ben ever had even 1 of those type of guys as good as jones or white at WR ever?
    Not anyone that the Steelers have been able to hang onto.

Legend

User Info Menu

Every year there is a new group of "flavor of the day" QBs with a bit of recent success under their belts who land high in these types of ridiculous rankings. This year Flacco and his lucky run, and Ryan with his potent arsenal are top 5 type guys. Last year you would have been laughed at for suggesting either of these two be ranked that high. Instead you would have been touting the likes of obvious top QBs like Cam Newton and Matt Stafford. Other highly notable top 5 QBs over the years have included Tony Romo and Philip Rivers. I'm pretty sure that I've also seen the names of Jay Cutler, Matt Hasselbeck, Josh Freeman, and a whole host of others who are so notable that I can't even remember their names. Coming soon (and maybe already there on some lists) RG3, Luck, Kaepernick, and Wilson. But year in and year out you will see the following names in the top 7 or so....

Peyton Manning
    Tom Brady
    Drew Brees
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Aaron Rodgers
    and sometimes Eli

So, ladies and gentlemen, I give you in no particular order your top 6 NFL QBs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jaws' job is to get hits and promote discussion (to get more hits). I wouldn't ever get too concerned about who rates who where. Teams get to play games and then playoffs to see who's the champ.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    That was Skip Bayless' ranking of QB list.
    He didn't!!??
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Every year there is a new group of "flavor of the day" QBs with a bit of recent success under their belts who land high in these types of ridiculous rankings. This year Flacco and his lucky run, and Ryan with his potent arsenal are top 5 type guys. Last year you would have been laughed at for suggesting either of these two be ranked that high. Instead you would have been touting the likes of obvious top QBs like Cam Newton and Matt Stafford. Other highly notable top 5 QBs over the years have included Tony Romo and Philip Rivers. I'm pretty sure that I've also seen the names of Jay Cutler, Matt Hasselbeck, Josh Freeman, and a whole host of others who are so notable that I can't even remember their names. Coming soon (and maybe already there on some lists) RG3, Luck, Kaepernick, and Wilson. But year in and year out you will see the following names in the top 7 or so....

Peyton Manning
    Tom Brady
    Drew Brees
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Aaron Rodgers
    and sometimes Eli

So, ladies and gentlemen, I give you in no particular order your top 6 NFL QBs.
    Exactly... deep down,, who do you want as your QB?? I know my answer.