Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Jaworski ranks Flacco and Ryan better than Ben???

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Can you show me a QB who has done more than Ben with less? Who else has won two and made it to one more? Take a look at the rest of the football team that Ben has had throughout the course of his career, correct me if I'm wrong:

Defense - one of the best in the league
    O line - Good early on in his career, but awful for the most part
    Running game - Also pretty good early, but poor since Parker deteriorated
    Receivers/TE - Ward was good up until a couple of years ago, a good year and a half from Wallace, Brown has been decent, Miller solid throughout, and some brief but good play from Holmes, but otherwise a sub par group as a whole

Now I can name you several QBs who are considered top players who have done less with more:

Rivers - Had a pretty good D and OL throughout, but also had superior RBs beginning with one of the best, and WRs/TE play including VJax and Gates. On top of all of that, he has played in one of the least competitive divisions in the league for the most part, so his path to success was very easy.

Romo - Has had a revolving door of good receivers through the years. He has had a good TE. He has generally had a good D and OL. Some solid RBshave gone through there as well, and if he can stay healthy, Murray may be the best of them.

Ryan - Maybe the best two WR/ 1 TE combo in the league today. Everything about what they been putting together over the past few years has the Steelers beat except for the D that Pittsburgh has fielded for the most part.

The only three QBs who I would say have overachieved despite less than stellar talent around them are Brady, Eli, and Ben.
    i wouldnt even put eli in there.

going into their 2nd years (and without a 1st round pick cause they traded it to move up to get eli) they signed Ben's big target in plax. signed an OT to protect him and their backs and receivers have been much better over the years

Legend

User Info Menu

i mean just look at this year. how many other groups of starting WR and RB would you take in front of

a. brown, sanders and 2nd round pick Bell?? 25 at least?

i asked this on another board and at most we came up with (maybe) 7 teams with only a couple being definitely worse (jets were one)

even the lowly jags have drew, blackmon and shorts as their starters

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    i mean just look at this year. how many other groups of starting WR and RB would you take in front of

a. brown, sanders and 2nd round pick Bell?? 25 at least?

i asked this on another board and at most we came up with (maybe) 7 teams with only a couple being definitely worse (jets were one)

even the lowly jags have drew, blackmon and shorts as their starters
    i'm not even sure the jets are definitely worse. we're completely unproven.

Backup

User Info Menu

In my opinion this is a drafting issue. The past few years have been very unimpressive especially in the first round. Hood and Mendy come to mind. The Steelers have tried to draft to fill holes but their drafts have been average at best.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    In my opinion this is a drafting issue. The past few years have been very unimpressive especially in the first round. Hood and Mendy come to mind. The Steelers have tried to draft to fill holes but their drafts have been average at best.
    Like Roethlisberger, our recent drafts are underrated. I have no complaints at all with the 2007, 2010 or 2011 drafts. If a team can find two solid starters and a solid backup in a draft, then they've done well. As for the 2009 draft, the Steelers at least got some value out of it before Mike Wallace and Keenan Lewis left, and I'm predicting that the light will turn on for Ziggy Hood this season just as it did for Lawrence Timmons in 2010. The only bad draft was 2008, but even the best teams have them from time to time. Wanna get some good laughs at other teams' expense? Take a look at the Ravens' 2004 draft, and the Patriots' 2007 draft. Then there's the Packers, who had the fifth draft pick in 2006 and used it to select... A.J. Hawk. What a great value he was at that draft position, no?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Im perfectly fine with Brown, Sanders and Wheaton. Add a healthy Miller to that crew and we are good. I'm not sure we can call this a drafting issue as Bell and Wheaton were just drafted. The Steelers lose people then re-load.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Pointless to debate, "show me a QB who has done more then Ben with less." I believe that Ben had good enough players around him to be more successful. Considering Ben's talent the Steelers offense underachieved with him as the QB.
    Just wondering then where you would put Peyton in the overall realm of QBs. He has had superior receiving talent throughout most of his career. He has had a solid line as well. His running game has not been great, although he did have Addai rush for over 1,000 twice, including in their SB winning year. On the other hand, the D was never anywhere close to the one that the Steelers fielded year after year. One big advantage that he had over many QBs was getting to play indoors on a race track. Obviously that is much better for numbers than the slop at Heinz.

Through his career, he has put up 154 wins in 224 regular season starts - a winning percentage of .688, so he has obviously been on good teams. However, in the playoffs, he has only 9 wins in 20 games (.450) through 12 playoff seasons. Manning has more seasons in the playoffs than Ben has seasons in the league, but has one less ring, and one less playoff win.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah. Denver already with Thomas and decker and they to our and sign welker

I'll take one of those guys

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    You have to include hey ward. How many snaps has he had in 2 years??

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    Yeah. Denver already with Thomas and decker and they to our and sign welker

I'll take one of those guys

Eric Decker was a 3rd round pick. He is big, fast, runs good routes and has excellent hands. He would have looked real good as a Steeler.

I'm pulling for Wheaton to make his mark this year.