Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers: Landry Jones Future Franchise Quarterback

Legend

User Info Menu

Pittsburgh Steelers: Landry Jones Future Franchise Quarterback

In the fourth round of this year’s NFL draft the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted quarterback Landry Jones from the University of Oklahoma. This season Jones is expected to play behind Ben Roethlisberger, but how long will Jones be a backup quarterback? If you ask me not that long.

While at Oklahoma, Jones led the Sooners to double digit winning seasons in all of his seasons as the starting quarterback. With Jones at the helm Oklahoma went 3-1 in bowl games including their Fiesta Bowl victory against Connecticut. Jones had great success at Oklahoma totaling 16,646 yards and 123 touchdowns. All of this while filling the big shoes of Sam Bradford.

Jones proved in his college career that he is an accurate passer completing over 60 percent of his passes every season as a starter. His outstanding bowl record shows that he has the intangibles, and the ability to win the big games. He has the ability to throw the deep ball and has great football knowledge and understanding of defenses. Jones a traditional pocket passer with not much mobility, but he has good size and is able to look over the offensive line. These physical and mental attributes are what every quarterback in the NFL needs.

Landry Jones is going to be starting his career behind a great quarterback in Roethlisberger. He is going to have the chance to learn the NFL game and be able to develop. Jones has all the skills that it takes to be a NFL quarterback and as was the case with Aaron Rodgers after he gets a chance to learn and develop as a backup he will be a great starting quarterback in the NFL.

If history is any sign Jones is likely to get his chances to play even before he is ready with the many injury problems with Ben Roethlisberger. Get ready for Landry Jones because when he gets his chance he will be a really good NFL quarterback.

[url]http://isportsweb.com/2013/07/15/pittsburgh-steelers-landry-jones-future-franchise-quarterback/[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would think Bruce G. would go in before Jones this season. But I'm curious to see how he performs this preseason. I hope he does well, that would be a nice insurance policy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jones is at least three years away from even being considered as a potential starter unless injuries force him into the lineup. He has development to do and by all accounts from the OTAs, his throwing mechanics were all messed up.

I said that when we drafted him I thought he went to the perfect system with Todd Haley and the emphasis on quick, short throws. Jones is sort of the anti-Ben in that respect.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

by Jim Wexell:

"Rookie Landry Jones quarterbacked the second group and his first pass was intercepted by a diving Damon Cromartie-Smith.

Jones, the fourth-round pick, is being outplayed by fourth-year free agent John Parker Wilson, who’s generally considered the fourth-team QB."

[URL]http://pit.scout.com/2/1312693.html[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

waste of a pick

still can't believe we took him

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Jones looked okay at camp. He checked out of a few plays when the D showed blitz but on other occasions he held the ball way to long. The Jones of today and the Jones a year from now will not be the same. He should be okay by then. For now, if Ben gets nicked up Gradkowski will be fine as a short term fill in.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Jones looked okay at camp. He checked out of a few plays when the D showed blitz but on other occasions he held the ball way to long. The Jones of today and the Jones a year from now will not be the same. He should be okay by then. For now, if Ben gets nicked up Gradkowski will be fine as a short term fill in.
    Thanks for the camp updates

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Thanks for this info. I think this is the first positive thing I've read about Jones.

Legend

User Info Menu

Good news. I think you make an accurate assessment on Jones. Learn this year and step up to Ben's back-up in Yr 2 or 3.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wish we would have gone Thomas, back to back, in the fourth round. I have not been too excited about what I've heard on Jones in camp. Hopefully some of you guys will be right and he will start to pick things up but hearing his mechanics are all screwed up is rather depressing.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!