Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers: Landry Jones Future Franchise Quarterback

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Due to injuries along the offense...yes those Oklahoma teams were devoid of any real talent especially at WR.
    nope... those teams had talent. Jones definitely had MAJOR meltdowns in critical situations. I've never seen a guy cough the ball up that much under pressure. He was like Tommy Maddox after the injury... unreal TO's.

Hopefully he pans out a few years from now and is trade bait or our transition QB. I liked the pick because we finally got a legit QB.. but Ghost is spot on about his play at OK. The kid is suspect under pressure and never took a snap from under center.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    nope... those teams had talent. Jones definitely had MAJOR meltdowns in critical situations. I've never seen a guy cough the ball up that much under pressure. He was like Tommy Maddox after the injury... unreal TO's.

Hopefully he pans out a few years from now and is trade bait or our transition QB. I liked the pick because we finally got a legit QB.. but Ghost is spot on about his play at OK. The kid is suspect under pressure and never took a snap from under center.
    Please name this talent. Broyles? I agree about the turnovers. But, you also must understand that after the 2011 season, he was considered a first round talent. And there were quite a few scouts who believed him to be the best QB in this class as well. Per NFL.com

Arm talent: Jones is the most gifted quarterback prospect in the 2013 class. He shows unbelievable arm strength and touch, and can make every throw in the book with tremendous zip and velocity. Whether it's the deep out from the opposite hash or the fly route down the boundary, Jones routinely delivers rope-like throws with tremendous pace. This allows him to fit the ball into tight windows between multiple defenders, completing the high-risk throws that elite quarterbacks must make with the game on the line. In addition, Jones shows good accuracy and ball placement when utilizing proper footwork and mechanics in the pocket. There are few physical deficiencies in his game; scouts love Jones' sheer talent and natural ability.

Jones is underrated, in my mind, due to his remarkable physical tools. He possesses all of the attributes that you look for at the position, and creative offensive coordinators will be intrigued by his ability to make all of the throws. While his decision-making and poise under pressure remain concerns based on his play throughout 2012, I believe he has made significant strides over the past year. Insightful evaluators will keep him in the mix as a possible franchise quarterback. Without a unanimous selection as the top quarterback prospect in the 2013 class, it wouldn't surprise me to see Jones enjoy a late rise up the charts following all-star games and pre-draft workouts.

Legend

User Info Menu

Here is a link talking about Jones struggles linked with the OL injuries.

[URL]http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/college-football-rapidreports/20050942/oklahoma-qb-landry-jones-struggles-may-be-linked-to-offensive-line[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

K. Stills left OK ranked in the top 5 in receptions, yards, touchdowns in school history. Drafted by the Saints. Justin Brown had 73 receptions in 2012 is 6'3"/209 with what was considered excellent athleticism and exceptional body control. Drafted by our Steelers. His third favorite receiver was Jalen Saunders who was a 1st team All-Western Conf selection (before he transferred to OKL) and on the Biletnikoff Award watch list. He will be a primary target this season and has a shot to get drafted as well barring injury. So his top three WR's were 2 guys drafted by NFL teams and a third who was 1st team all conference. Good lord... what kind of weapons does a guy need for you to consider the team not devoid of WR talent? That is an absurd, nonsensical statement made only to continue arguing as it's certainly not grounded in logic.

And if he couldn't' handle the pass rush in college starting in the shotgun or pistol most of the time; why should we believe he will be able to handle the bigger, much faster, much more talented rush of the Pro's?

Legend

User Info Menu

Sorry Shawn but I heard the same thing about the USC quarterback. Plenty of QBs look great, come back with lofty expections and look like trash.

I hope Landry pans out in a few years but I prefer to wait on this one when it comes to the franchise label.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Sorry Shawn but I heard the same thing about the USC quarterback. Plenty of QBs look great, come back with lofty expections and look like trash.

I hope Landry pans out in a few years but I prefer to wait on this one when it comes to the franchise label.
    Dizz, Landry was drafted because they saw your posts about always taking Black backup QBs.
    Now a brotha cant get a QB gig here.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

the bottom line is this roster had much bigger needs than a 3rd string backup to the backup QB who might be used as trade bait someday

sorry, but that position is laughable

OL, FS, MLB, CB, any of these positions would have made much more sense. You can find some bum on the waiver wire that can do the job landry jones can. I guess ben needs a buddy in the QB room.

hated the pick then, hate the pick now

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    the bottom line is this roster had much bigger needs than a 3rd string backup to the backup QB who might be used as trade bait someday

sorry, but that position is laughable

OL, FS, MLB, CB, any of these positions would have made much more sense. You can find some bum on the waiver wire that can do the job landry jones can. I guess ben needs a buddy in the QB room.

hated the pick then, hate the pick now
    At the time, I was pulling for them to select Philip Thomas, but I'll reserve judgment for a couple years. If Jones pans out, if he comes anywhere close to reaching his potential, it will have been a brilliant pick. Way too early to call the pick a bust, IMO.

Rookie

User Info Menu

The Steelers addressed all of those needs...after last season, backup QB was also a need...

End of story...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

show me where all those needs were addressed...

are you really going to say that you think the steelers have quality depth at any of those positions? Your "known commodity" beachum has 5 starts and may overtake a guy who, until a week ago was supposed to be the starting LT. After that, its two of the worst OTs in the league last year. Yeah, great depth there.

the MLB position is a mess. If timmons goes down with an injury, its over. No proven depth there at all. Scary

in the secondary you have an aging, but effective ike taylor and cortez allen who looks like a pretty good player, but still unproven in a large sense. After that? William gay, curtis brown, and josh victorian. If you can't see the need for an upgrade there, we have nothing left to discuss. At the FS position sits robert golden and cromatrie-smith. Hmmmm, nothing to add here. Wish in one hand and spit in the other I guess.

there were/are way too many holes to waste a 4th on a 3rd string QB whose ceiling seems to be on the board is a guy who starts a handful of games or becomes trade bait in 3 or four years.
    Last edited by Eddie Spaghetti; 08-08-2013 at 09:45 PM.