Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers: Landry Jones Future Franchise Quarterback

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Remember, we draft for the future as well as for todays needs. Someone in the Steelers management must believe Jones can contribute in the long run.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    We had terrible depth at the QB position...the most important position on the team...

If we still had Leftwich or Batch, people would complain about that...

He was a value pick in the 4th...
    Agreed. With Ben aging and will inevitably miss time, grooming a capable back up was needed. As for his development...Jones can make all the throws, has a high football intelligence, and is prototypical size. I see no reason he can't succeed, and I have yet to see a break down of his skills that would change my mind.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Jones can make all the throws, has a high football intelligence, and is prototypical size.
    I agree with all of these qualities, but unfortunately, he also seems to get rattled under pressure, which tends to be more of an innate quality that cannot really be taught. He has all of the tangible tools you could ask for, but does not seem to have that intangible "it" quality that makes for a quality NFL QB. If he is somehow able to develop "it" then he could be a steal, but day three QB draft picks very rarely blossom into NFL stars (particularly in what has been described as a weak QB crop this year).

Another guy with prototypical size who can make all the throws and has high football intelligence but tends to get rattled under pressure? Blaine Gabbert.

At least we got him in the 4th rounder to be a developmental 3rd string QB as opposed to trading up in the first and counting on him to start right away, though. A reasonable risk/reward prospect at that point, I suppose. We'll see.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I don't see a single known commodity in your list.
    The team did.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Agreed. With Ben aging and will inevitably miss time, grooming a capable back up was needed. As for his development...Jones can make all the throws, has a high football intelligence, and is prototypical size. I see no reason he can't succeed, and I have yet to see a break down of his skills that would change my mind.
    I guess what bothers me is if he can make all the throws, has football intelligence and is known for his accuracy why is he looking so bad at camp? Especially the accuracy part. His mechanics, and therefore his accuracy, should be second nature to him now. Why is a 4th string QB, who virtually nobody has heard of, out performing him? Its not like he is facing game pressure that could cause his mechanics to be off.

I hope he turns out to be a great pick, and I know it takes years to find out, but right now I'm not that hopeful.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I guess what bothers me is if he can make all the throws, has football intelligence and is known for his accuracy why is he looking so bad at camp? Especially the accuracy part. His mechanics, and therefore his accuracy, should be second nature to him now. Why is a 4th string QB, who virtually nobody has heard of, out performing him? Its not like he is facing game pressure that could cause his mechanics to be off.

I hope he turns out to be a great pick, and I know it takes years to find out, but right now I'm not that hopeful.
    I kinda agree here.
    Really, if he has ALL the skills described by the guys who love the pick, WHY THE HECK DID HE GO IN THE 4th (as expected btw) in such a weak QB class?
    SOMETHING is missing here.

Big, smart, strong arm, clutch.

If he is all that Dude SHOULD BE taking Sanchez's job as we speak, NOT being EMBARRASSED by a free agent NOBODY on the Steelers.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not sure I buy the drafting for the future or a known commodity ideas. Since 2000 the Steelers have drafted 4 QBs not named Ben. All in the 5th round. All have been a total waste of a pick. The track record here is terrible. Not sure Jones in the 4th is any better. By all accounts coming out of camp so far, John Parker Wilson is playing better than Jones. Jones may not even be the 3rd back-up this year. Not sure why the giant need to draft a 4th stringer. If the Steelers lose Ben and Bruce; this team is royally F'd!

Here's your murderer's row of drafted QBs

'00: Tee Martin
    '03: Brian St Pierre
    '06: Omar Jacobs
    '08: Dennis Dixon

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I agree with all of these qualities, but unfortunately, he also seems to get rattled under pressure, which tends to be more of an innate quality that cannot really be taught. He has all of the tangible tools you could ask for, but does not seem to have that intangible "it" quality that makes for a quality NFL QB. If he is somehow able to develop "it" then he could be a steal, but day three QB draft picks very rarely blossom into NFL stars (particularly in what has been described as a weak QB crop this year).

Another guy with prototypical size who can make all the throws and has high football intelligence but tends to get rattled under pressure? Blaine Gabbert.

At least we got him in the 4th rounder to be a developmental 3rd string QB as opposed to trading up in the first and counting on him to start right away, though. A reasonable risk/reward prospect at that point, I suppose. We'll see.
    And I think you stumbled upon why he fell to the 4th round. He throws hard enough, he also throws accurate enough. He understands the game of football. He can even throw on the run, and extend plays similar to Ben on occasion. Where he struggles is decision making when the heat is on. He lacks that thing that can be taught, and that concerned teams...and for good reason.

I believe he is struggling with accuracy in camp, because of the stated above...pressure of being an NFL rookie playing with his head.

So, the running question will split the camps. Can Jones ever become effective enough to warrant a fourth round pick? My personal belief is yes. I think he will be able to step in and be very effective running a system Haley has geared for his skill set which is short throws, and quick reads...its what he does really well. Will he be a franchise QB? I think that depends on if the assessment about his mental toughness is accurate. If he is a mental puffball, then no he will never be more than a stop gap. But, if he can find his confidence somewhere in this journey...I think he has the tools to prove alot of people wrong.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The team did.
    how so?

every guy you listed is an unknown commodity, except for beachum maybe. What's he got 4 or 5 starts? That hardly makes him a "known commodity"

Legend

User Info Menu

And I think you stumbled upon why he fell to the 4th round. He throws hard enough, he also throws accurate enough. He understands the game of football. He can even throw on the run, and extend plays similar to Ben on occasion. Where he struggles is decision making when the heat is on. He lacks that thing that can be taught, and that concerned teams...and for good reason.

I believe he is struggling with accuracy in camp, because of the stated above...pressure of being an NFL rookie playing with his head.

So, the running question will split the camps. Can Jones ever become effective enough to warrant a fourth round pick? My personal belief is yes. I think he will be able to step in and be very effective running a system Haley has geared for his skill set which is short throws, and quick reads...its what he does really well. Will he be a franchise QB? I think that depends on if the assessment about his mental toughness is accurate. If he is a mental puffball, then no he will never be more than a stop gap. But, if he can find his confidence somewhere in this journey...I think he has the tools to prove alot of people wrong.
    Struggling under pressure is not what you want in a backup QB, who is likely to see a lot of heat.

I'm not going to write Jones off; I hope that he develops into a guy who can win a few games as a backup and maybe fetch some draft picks as trade bait down the road. However, the odds are against it. The numbers bear out that the idea of a "developmental" QB is really a myth - how many guys are starting that weren't #1 picks? The answer is not many. Brady is, of course, the most notable exception, and Kaepernick was an early #2.