Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Pouncey twins support Hernandez

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Wow. Pretty bold with his opinions. I wonder if he will get attacked for them?
    I don't agree with how he characterizes the protesters. He is rather crude how he expresses them, but there is no doubt that the black community protests violence done to black youth by the police and other people outside of the community than they do when black men kill other black men. It is a much bigger problem. That said. Zimmerman was not justified taking TM's life for the offense of walking inappropriately. But juries usually acquit police or in this case someone pretending to be a policemen in such circumstances.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    If Zimmerman didn't have a gun, does this post exist?
    No.. not at all.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    I don't agree with how he characterizes the protesters. He is rather crude how he expresses them, but there is no doubt that the black community protests violence done to black youth by the police and other people outside of the community than they do when black men kill other black men. It is a much bigger problem. That said. Zimmerman was not justified taking TM's life for the offense of walking inappropriately. But juries usually acquit police or in this case someone pretending to be a policemen in such circumstances.
    We rally over senseless deaths a lot... it just doesn't make front page news or isn't news to those outside the black community. It's no different than those who ask where Jesse and Al are when discussing black on black crime or rap music.

Legend

User Info Menu

In Chicago so far this month, there have been at least 30 murders...by my count, 28 of them have been black victims.

I came upon this article that you might find interesting:
    What About Chicago ?

Jul 17, 2013 by [URL="http://themoderatevoice.com/author/patricke/"]PATRICK EDABURN, Assistant Editor
    [/URL]

In the days since the verdict in the George Zimmerman trial we have heard much speculation about the justice of the verdict as well as debates over the state of race relations in this country. People have decried the death of a young man who was seemingly doing nothing wrong.

I certainly understand this distress indeed I don’t think there’s anybody who denies that all of the events of last year were horrible. However I can’t help but wonder why so much attention is focused on the death of one innocent person while we seemingly ignore the deaths of dozens of young people almost every day.

On the streets of Chicago many innocent young men are being gunned down by other young men. In fact in many parts of the city it is probably less common for a teenager to be unarmed that it is for him to be armed. And in this case it is black on black violence for the most part.

It seems to me that we really need to examine this ongoing tragedy rather than focus on one frustrating event. I know politicians talk about it and I know there are people truly concerned about it but it seems like all we do is pay lip service.

Perhaps part of the reason for this is because there are some disturbing questions that have to be examined when we look at this phenomenon. In Chicago as well as in other large cities the violence is largely minority on minority. Certainly there is some Hispanic and black violence but for the most part it is black on black. Why is that?

Obviously poverty has some role in that but we have poverty in other parts of the country. In the Ozarks and Appalachia for example there is poverty to rival the worst Chicago ghetto and yet we do not see the young men of those communities gunning each other down.

Obviously I am not suggesting that blacks are somehow more violent than whites or that whites are somehow more noble than blacks that is certainly not the case.

But there is something going on in our inner cities that needs to be addressed. As Bill Cosby and others have observed certainly one factor is the lack of fathers in these communities resulting in young men growing up without any examples of how to behave and once they reach a certain age with nobody in a position to discipline them.

Again poverty is obviously also factor as well as the lack of education and both of those need to be dealt with as well. Limiting access to guns will also be helpful but somehow I doubt it will stop all of the violence (knives can kill just as much as guns and though the death toll may be lower the underlying violence won’t go away).

I’m not sure I have any great insight to offer as to a solution if I did I’d probably be working somewhere else but I do find it interesting that we put so much focus on one trial and then pay lip service to an ongoing tragedy that occurs every day.

[url]http://themoderatevoice.com/184378/what-about-chicago/[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    At the end of the day, unfortunately, I think the jurors got it right. But it feels like a technicality.
    spot on, flip.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Just to put the conspiracy out there... On January 2, 2013 president signs NDAA executive order. The Zimmerman trial begins to heat up... Then on July 6 President Obama signed an executive order giving him control of communication systems in the US. Amid all of the NSA whistleblowers, the Zimmerman trial began to get bigger and bigger. Was the media reaction a diversion to save Obama from these events?[URL]http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/07/06/executive-order-assignment-national-security-and-emergency-preparedness-[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Just to put the conspiracy out there... On January 2, 2013 president signs NDAA executive order. The Zimmerman trial begins to heat up... Then on July 6 President Obama signed an executive order giving him control of communication systems in the US. Amid all of the NSA whistleblowers, the Zimmerman trial began to get bigger and bigger. Was the media reaction a diversion to save Obama from these events?[URL]http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/07/06/executive-order-assignment-national-security-and-emergency-preparedness-[/URL]
    random reply from a Louisville fan who just read your sig...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Would not be surprised in the slightest. Somehow huge events regarding our government are going on that effect every person in the USA, yet we focus on one murder trial and when the british royalty will have their baby.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    random reply from a Louisville fan who just read your sig...
    Y'all got a stud qb up there. Very impressed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Obviously poverty has some role in that but we have poverty in other parts of the country. In the Ozarks and Appalachia for example there is poverty to rival the worst Chicago ghetto and yet we do not see the young men of those communities gunning each other down.
    That is a stupid point. I lived in rural Kentucky and heard some of the craziest stories in my lifetime regarding crime and senseless violence over meth, moonshine or a sister cousin.

As far as Chicago goes... the black community has been having countless stories, marches and protest over the violence in that city. I get tired of hearing people point out other senseless crimes when discussing the Trayvon case like it justifies or proves something. That's like a Patriot fan or an Aaron Hernendez defender pointing to other murders to cloud the discussion over his situation.

The GZ case is national news... it doesn't mean those other murders aren't important.