Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Jarvis Jones win the competition vs. Worlids for starter @ OLB

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Will Jarvis Jones win the competition vs. Worlids for starter @ OLB

Based on what he did in college Jarvis has the potencial but moreso he played OLB and won't have to convert from DE like Worlids and Woodley had to. That in itself should make the transition to the Pro's a little easier since he won't have to change positions.
    Should he win out against Worlids it would give us depth behind Woodley as Worlids is better suited for that side, but at this point Jones has to prove himself in camp, the preseason to be considered a starter which would be rare in the Steelers defense.
    Just a guess, he may split time with Worlids until he can win that position outright and be that bonus player for us that has immediate impact.

We still need a Safety and ILB and help on the offense with a RB, WR, but is it me or does anyone feel we still need help on our D-line? If we don't get another D-lineman, I wonder if there will be any changes on who plays where with our current group?

Btw, Congrats to all of you who picked Jones @ 17!
    Last edited by supersteeler; 04-26-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Jones will be starting by no later than October of this year. That's my guess.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Legend

User Info Menu

I suspect that Worilds wins the competition initially, but that Jones gets playing time early in passing situations, and ends up with significant time this year when Worilds and/or Woodley get hurt.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Was the date of Jarvis's pro day before or after TS told Harrison they didn't want him back? If it was before, the Steelers took a nice gamble that paid off. Just curious.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

As a rook, I doubt he'll start... He'll have a lot of situational time...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I suspect that Worilds wins the competition initially, but that Jones gets playing time early in passing situations, and ends up with significant time this year when Worilds and/or Woodley get hurt.
    That's what I'm thinking. Remember, Worlids might be good at rushing the passer but issues against the run where Jones seems to do both well, that could be a deciding factor as the season moves on.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    Was the date of Jarvis's pro day before or after TS told Harrison they didn't want him back? If it was before, the Steelers took a nice gamble that paid off. Just curious.
    Harrison released March 9, Jones Pro day March 21. Had to check... Would have been interesting if the dates were switched.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

No because Worilds is much better than anyone wants to give him credit for. he will come to camp in shape and ready to compete. Can we say the same about Woodley?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    No because Worilds is much better than anyone wants to give him credit for. he will come to camp in shape and ready to compete. Can we say the same about Woodley?
    Agreed. The season starts with Woodley and Worilds outside, then Woodley sprains an ovary in week 3 and takes his seat on the bench, becoming the Steelers' version of Wally Pipp.

Legend

User Info Menu

My guess is that Worilds gets the nod in the base to start the year and they have Jones focus on something like the Nickle package. Learn one position really well and be the first option there. First back up at both OLBs.