Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Pouncey twins support Hernandez

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    I'm good with that... still, back to what i said a few posts ago -- I believe it was "showing support" for a friend. Not sure why a guy(s) gets scolded and forced to apologize for that.
    If he had supported Hernandez in a respectful or thoughtful manner, I don't think anybody would care. If he simply said the following "I recognize that these are serious charges, but I support my friend an former teammate" I certainly wouldn't care, nor would anybody else. But this is not the first time that Pouncey has shown himself to be a dunce.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

he admitted to stalking, then subsequently killing... self defense isn't required without his stalking... it's like breaking into a house and charging the other peeps with having a slick floor which caused me to break my arm...

after a couple of edits, including a post i made on another board... may be more relevant for a topic of it's own, but, Ovi here's a common take....
    Martin could of gone home and he chose to attack.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

This probably wasn't the best decision that Pouncey will make as an adult; however, the 1st amendment guarantees him the right to say (display in this case) his point of view. The 1st amendment, however, does guarantee that what he says won't have ramifications. He is entirely within his rights to make the statement, regardless of whether you believe it to be an enlightened point of view or not.

On the other hand the Steelers get to exercise their right as his employer to make a judgment and discipline him as they see fit. And, as we've seen in the past, the player's status on the team or his ability to help the team are taken into account. The chances of anything happening top Pouncey other than a "talking to" are slim to none. Had it been a UDFA from this year's draft he would probably be looking for work today.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    This probably wasn't the best decision that Pouncey will make as an adult; however, the 1st amendment guarantees him the right to say (display in this case) his point of view. The 1st amendment, however, doesn't guarantee that what he says won't have ramifications. He is entirely within his rights to make the statement, regardless of whether you believe it to be an enlightened point of view or not.

On the other hand the Steelers get to exercise their right as his employer to make a judgment and discipline him as they see fit. And, as we've seen in the past, the player's status on the team or his ability to help the team are taken into account. The chances of anything happening top Pouncey other than a "talking to" are slim to none. Had it been a UDFA from this year's draft he would probably be looking for work today.

Pappy
    Well said Pappy.
    Last edited by papillon; 07-15-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I have not got a problem with the Pounceys being in their friend's corner, but they did excercise bad judgement in how they chose to do so. To me, proper support is more personal. A phone call to your friend telling him that you are supporting him, etc.

How does wearing a baseball hat to a bar help support your friend? Will a jury consider this as evidence of his innocence? Is he going to feel better behind bars knowing that his pals are bar hopping with homemade hats? No, they were simply just making a spectacle of themselves by showing the public something that anyone would know is controversial. They were figuring to stand out by wearing something that they knew would be a conversation piece.

As far as the public show of support, as I often say - I wish my acquaintances happy birthday on facebook. I wish my friends happy birthday with a phone call. If they were trying to support him then it was an impersonal, shallow and dumb gesture.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    I can guarantee that the players on this current Steelers team are no different than the players on ANY Steelers team from the past. Some great guys, some so-so guys, and some a-holes.

In 2013, because of social media and the immediate news cycle, it's soooo much easier to know every single detail of everyone's lives (professional athletes included), that you get to "know" them, warts and all.

My point is, it's way too easy to glamorize the players and teams of the past as "great guys" when we had NO IDEA what they were like in their personal lives. Reporters didn't cover that stuff back then, and if they did, it was almost never printed, as it was "off the record."
    As someone who works in a forensic capacity I have to strongly disagree with you. Today's young people are much more troubled than ever both emotionally amd with their criminality. I wouldn't ever compare Millenials to Gen Xers or to Baby Boomers because they are a completely different kind of monster.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Martin could of gone home and he chose to attack.
    a guy is STALKING me... the last thing i wanna do is lead him to my house... apparently not only did you not copy what i said in the quote - but, you also didn't READ it - lol
    Last edited by SteelerOfDeVille; 07-15-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

a guy is STALKING me... the last thing i wanna do is lead him to my house... apparently not only did you not copy what i said in the quote - but, you also didn't READ it - lol
    Hit reply with quote, didn't quote that part, wasn't me modifying it. Driving in a truck = stalking LOL. Sorry, but a teenager should of run home, which was very close by, and told his dad someone was following him. OR call the police if he felt so threatened. Instead he chose to confront and attack the wrong guy. Bottom line.

zimmerman had lost sight of him when he got sucker punched too.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

he admitted to stalking, then subsequently killing... self defense isn't required without his stalking... it's like breaking into a house and charging the other peeps with having a slick floor which caused me to break my arm...

after a couple of edits, including a post i made on another board... may be more relevant for a topic of it's own, but, Ovi here's a common take....
    This happened 25 minutes from where I live. It went bad went Martin got in the guys face and threw the first punch. No punch no trajedy. Martin goes home and nothing ever happens.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    This happened 25 minutes from where I live. It went bad went Martin got in the guys face and threw the first punch. No punch no trajedy. Martin goes home and nothing ever happens.
    This was 1000% a media created racial situation. First, right when it happens, they immediately call Zimmerman white. The media initially released so much wrong information it isn't funny, then took their sweet old time correcting their lies. I am a big, built, grown man and have lived in the city limits of multiple cities and have had cars slowly creeping near me....not ONCE have I thought 'I'm gonna punch that MF in the face' for the very reason Trayvon Martin found out you don't consider it.
    @_Hellgrammite