Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sporting News Top 20 potential ROY

Legend

User Info Menu

Sporting News Top 20 potential ROY

Robert Griffin III was Sporting News NFL rookie of the year in 2012, edging out Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson and succeeding 2011 winner Cam Newton. Just don't expect any quarterbacks to vie for the honors again in 2013.

History still sides with offensive skill players; it's just that this class's best newcomers play running back, wide receiver and tight end. Without a QB in the mix, it also gives some defensive playmakers a better shot to win the award. Remember that three years ago, Ndamukong Suh was SN's rookie of the year.

Before they go to work in their first NFL training camp, check out SN's breakdown of the league's top 20 candidates (in order) for rookie of the year.

1. Le'Veon Bell, RB, Steelers 1.jpg

Coach Mike Tomlin longs for a reliable, durable workhorse to pound between the tackles and take pressure off Ben Roethlisberger. All signs point to Bell taking over as the team's bell cow in Week 1. Bell has the potential for a productive season, even if it's not as good as the 2012 season of the Redskins' Alfred Morris.

2. Dion Jordan, DE, Dolphins 2.jpg

Jordan's talents will be welcome in South Beach opposite Cameron Wake, one of the league's premier pass-rushing ends. The raw but exciting athleticism Jordan displayed at Oregon will help him get loose on the edge while defenses focus on Wake. That can quickly add up to a double-digit sack total for the rookie.

3. Tavon Austin, WR, Rams 3.jpg

Austin isn't as strong as Percy Harvin, but his dazzling open-field quickness and potential to line up all over the field should set him up to have the same kind of rookie impact as a receiver, return man and even a backfield threat. It doesn't hurt that his speed is built for the fast track in St. Louis.

4. Jarvis Jones, OLB, Steelers 4.jpg

The Steelers don't typically start rookies on defense, but Jones' explosiveness has gotten their attention as a potential immediate-impact edge player in the 3-4. Jones is suited for Dick LeBeau's scheme to a tee, and they'll put him in position to tee off on quarterbacks.

5. Montee Ball, RB, Broncos 5.jpg

The Broncos moved on from veteran Willis McGahee, opening up the way for Ball to carry the load. He'll benefit from Peyton Manning's passing and take advantage of holes on running plays. He won't score as he did in college, but even at half of that pace Ball will be a top rookie.

6. Ezekiel Ansah, DE, Lions

He'll try to become the second Lions defensive lineman in four years to win SN Rookie of the Year, and it helps that he's in a front four that features Ndamukong Suh. Suh and Nick Fairley — perhaps the NFL's best tackle duo — should open room outside for Ansah, who can translate his raw burst into a good early sack total.

7. DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Texans

Houston shuffled several receivers opposite future Hall of Fame Andre Johnson over the years, but the team never had a dynamic playmaker of Hopkins' ilk to come in right away as the No. 2. Hopkins can make tough catches and stretch the field, and he'll get to make plenty of receptions against single coverage.

8. Giovani Bernard, RB, Bengals

Bernard is Darren Sproles light. The Bengals have BenJarvus Green-Ellis to pound inside and work in the red zone, so they will move Bernard around as a complementary back and try often to get him into the open field. Don't be surprised if the results are spectacular, with Bernard racking up scrimmage yards.

9. Eddie Lacy, RB, Packers

Lacy is listed ahead of fellow rookie Johnathan Franklin on the Packers' depth chart, but we'll see who becomes the busier power back to complement Aaron Rodgers' passing game. Considering the punishment Lacy inflicted on college defenses, he might break the Packers' 1,000-yard back drought — if he stays healthy.

10. Bjoern Werner, OLB, Colts

Dwight Freeney is gone, and coach Chuck Pagano has faith that Werner — a standout end at Florida State — will thrive as a 3-4 outside linebacker. Robert Mathis remains on one side, but Werner's natural pass-rush skills, athleticism and energy will serve him well. He will try to beat out Erik Walden and get off to a good start in sack production.

11. Matt Elam, S, Ravens

12. Jonathan Cyprien, S, Jaguars

13. Tyler Eifert, TE, Bengals

14. Kenny Vaccaro, S, Saints

15. Alec Ogletree, OLB, Rams

16. Xavier Rhodes, CB, Vikings

17. Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Vikings

18. Eric Reid, S, 49ers

19. Chance Warmack, G, Titans

20. Manti Te'o, ILB, Chargers

[url]http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-07-03/ranking-nfl-rookie-of-the-year-candidates/slide/20[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

The one guy not mentioned that I think will have a bigger impact than any of these guys will be Lotulelei. He'll start because he has no competition in Carolina and to me he looks the most NFL ready out of any of the 1st round draft picks. I'll be shocked if he's not dominating from day 1.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Spartan Power!! NFL is cyclic and perhaps we can hope for a resurgence of the running game in the NFL in coming years. Despite all the rules that favor passing...
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

I've been saying it before we drafted him...I believe if Bell stays healthy and gets his carries he will be the ROY.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

F'n jinx! Bell doesn't need the spotlight put on him... now (with expectations like this), it is harder for a guy like him to shine. Also, if we take what Dwyer is saying as fact (that he's coming to camp with renewed vigor), Dwyer has the ability to win the job outright.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I'm not sold on Bell but I hope I'm wrong. On the positive side, I like that he's been a "healthy" workhorse during his MSU days and I think he'll be a receiving threat in Haley's style of offense.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I'm not sold on Bell but I hope I'm wrong. On the positive side, I like that he's been a "healthy" workhorse during his MSU days and I think he'll be a receiving threat in Haley's style of offense.
    I'm not sold on anyone until they actually play at the NFL level. I've been Limas Sweed'd 1 too many times.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    I'm not sold on anyone until they actually play at the NFL level. I've been Limas Sweed'd 1 too many times.
    I agree with you Jig, that there have been many players over the years who turned into Limas Sweeds. I find one factor for many of these players is that they were in too good a college situation. For example, the RB who runs behind a line that plows through everyone. The QB who never faces pressure and throws to receivers who are barely covered because they are so much bigger, stronger, and faster than their opponents. Linebackers who were surrounded by so much talent that they always were able to roam free without evading blockers. You see that in college due to the talent disparity between schools.

Bell played on a team that barely finished above .500, without a strong QB, without a good line in front of him, and with no receiving threat. He was the focus of the opposing D every game. In that situation, he ran often, he ran strong, and he ran effectively. I believe that if he does not run well in Pittsburgh it has more to do with the line in front of him and no other back will be effective.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Jigawatts;565644]I'm not sold on anyone until they actually play at the NFL level. I've been Limas Sweed'd 1 too many times.[/QUOTE

That's a blues song right there. Well stated, JW.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sporting News Thinks Pittsburgh Steelers Have a Shot at Rookie of the Year Award

By Kyle Curry on July 9, 2013

Sporting News released their top twenty candidates for the 2013 NFL rookie of the year award. Of those twenty players two are Steelers’ rookies and both rank in the top four on their list. The last time the Steelers had a rookie of the year was 2004 when Ben Roethlisberger won the award.

Pittsburgh has had three rookie of the year’s on each side of the ball. Roethlisberger, Franco Harris and Louis Lipps all won the offensive rookie of the year award. On the defensive side of the ball, Steelers legends, “Mean” Joe Green and Jack Lambert both won the award. The most recent Steelers’ defender to win the award was Kendrell Bell in 2001.

Ranked atop the Sporting News list of the top twenty candidates to win the award is second round pick Le’Veon Bell. Bell has also been listed as one of the top fantasy rookies to keep an eye on for the 2013 season by NFL.com, Bleacher Report and ESPN.

Bell still has to win the Steelers starting running back job, but many believe that he will do just that during training camp. Sporting News believes that “Bell has the potential for a productive season, even if it’s not as good as the 2012 season of the Redskins’ Alfred Morris.”

Morris was not the offensive rookie of the year in 2013, his quarterback Robert Griffin III won that award, but he had a very good rookie season. He finished the 2012 season with over 1600 yards and 13 touchdowns. Bell may not have that kind of production as a rookie, but if he did it would be a huge change for a running game that has struggled in recent years.

Having a running game that can take some pressure off of Ben Roethlisberger and the passing game would be a nice change of pace. Perhaps Bell will be the player to get the running game back on track, but he will have some stiff competition in the form of Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman.

In Sporting News’ rankings they also have Jarvis Jones listed fourth. Jones is the second defensive player on the list behind Dion Jordan, who now a member of the Miami Dolphins. The last linebacker to start as a rookie on the Steelers defense was Bell in 2001 and Jones will have to show some very good things to make that change.

“The Steelers don’t typically start rookies on defense, but Jones’ explosiveness has gotten their attention as a potential immediate-impact edge player in the 3-4,” Vinnie Iyer says in this article. ”Jones is suited for Dick LeBeau’s scheme to a tee, and they’ll put him in position to tee off on quarterbacks.”

Jones may get a shot to go after quarterbacks as a rookie, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that he will be starting on the defense. If the Steelers aren’t comfortable with Jones starting they could still use him as a situational pass rusher. That is what the San Francisco 49ers did with Aldon Smith in his rookie year before he became a full-time force in 2012.

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sports/article_external/sporting_news_thinks_pittsburgh_steelers_have_a_sh ot_at_rookie_of_the_year_award/14012504[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha