Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Enigmatic Game of Ben Roethlisberger

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Bingo! Too much dickin around in the first half for the past 5 years or so..

And another reason this team excels so well in the TOP category is because the D is so inept at generating turnovers and giving the O shorter fields. Ben has to usually start in their own territory. Usually inside the 20. TOP goes up but it's alot harder to score when you have to go 90 yards on the majority (so it seems) of your possessions.
    I agree with this. And I would also add that when other teams' defenses force turnovers, the offense usually goes for the jugular on the next play. The few times the Steelers defense actually did force a turnover, it seemed like the offense was merely trying to hold onto the ball rather than make the other team pay by scoring. You might call that playing scared.

Not taking risks, just trying to possess the ball and play defense - that style of football doesn't get you very far in today's NFL.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Agreed. IMO, Ben is best when working within a system...and doing his thing when it breaks down...or when you need a special play. But Ben likes to always play like that...and that is what Haley is trying to reign in.
    Not really. Ben had to try and bail the team out in the last minute of the game when the system failed - and that happened all too often last year. Let him win the games early.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Maybe they should call Haley's offense the dick and dunk in your honor
    The Crash and Burn offense in his honor.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I like that one since that's essentially what this offense did at the end - it crashed and burned.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Even with the Crash and Burn offense, I think we're good enough with Ben if the D can create more pressure and turnovers. Defense + QB is still the way to the Lombardi. Look at NE. Even with their high powered offense that plays near perfection at times, they haven't won a SuperBowl since they had a great D (and cheated of course).

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Even with the Crash and Burn offense, I think we're good enough with Ben if the D can create more pressure and turnovers. Defense + QB is still the way to the Lombardi. Look at NE. Even with their high powered offense that plays near perfection at times, they haven't won a SuperBowl since they had a great D (and cheated of course).
    That's half the battle. LeBeau really needs to change his philosophies on defense if they want to force turnovers. "Tackle the catch" just isn't cutting it. LeBeau seems to think eventually the other team will make a mistake - essentially he's hoping for a lucky break or bounce. Other teams don't sit back, they actually force turnovers.

The other half of the battle is the "Crash and Burn" offense actually doing something with the turnover if/when the defense forces them. The few times the defense did force turnovers last year, it seemed like the offense was just trying to hold onto the ball rather than making the other team pay.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    That's half the battle. LeBeau really needs to change his philosophies on defense if they want to force turnovers. "Tackle the catch" just isn't cutting it. LeBeau seems to think eventually the other team will make a mistake - essentially he's hoping for a lucky break or bounce. Other teams don't sit back, they actually force turnovers.

The other half of the battle is the "Crash and Burn" offense actually doing something with the turnover if/when the defense forces them. The few times the defense did force turnovers last year, it seemed like the offense was just trying to hold onto the ball rather than making the other team pay.
    I still think Lebeau's defense is sound if you can generate pressure and force the QB into those mistakes. Unfortunately, the pressure has almost completely disappeared the last couple years and that's why I think the defense has broken down. If the players play better, the philosophy is ok. If they don't then I do think something else needs adjusted. And there might be an opportunity to adjust because our best unit on D might now be our secondary who was really improved in coverage last year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post

The other half of the battle is the "Crash and Burn" offense
    Wonder if Haley is considering an up tempo offense a la NE? Seems that could be the wave the NFL heads in the near term with NE's success and Chip Kelly coming into the league. Seems like that is something we might have to adapt to on offense and defense in the near term horizon.

Rookie

User Info Menu

LeBeau's defense puts players in position...the players have to make the splash plays...

Some players make them...some don't...

Keenan Lewis was in a position to create turnovers...he had what, 23 passes defended? Cortez Allen had two INTs in one game...Timmons also seems to be capable of splash plays...of course, Polamalu, when healthy...

Backup

User Info Menu

Not sure why everyone is so enamored with TO's. Do you know the top ranked TO teams? Here they are:

1. Chicago
    2. New England
    3. Giants
    4. Cardinals
    5. Falcons
    6. Seattle
    7. Redskins
    8. Bungles
    9. Browns
    10. Texans
    11. Chargers
    12. Saints
    13. Tampa Bay
    14. Ravens (finally get to the SB winner)

New England's defense sucks but they get plenty of TOs. 3 of the top 5 teams didn't even make the playoffs (and NE sure as hell didn't make it because of their defense). I understand TO's are important and the Steelers need to get better at it but it isn't a end all be all of defensive stats.