Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 57

Thread: The Enigmatic Game of Ben Roethlisberger

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Wonder if Haley is considering an up tempo offense a la NE? Seems that could be the wave the NFL heads in the near term with NE's success and Chip Kelly coming into the league. Seems like that is something we might have to adapt to on offense and defense in the near term horizon.
    The Steelers said they'd use a lot of no-huddle last year, and they didn't do that unless it was the end of the half or end of the game. They were more concerned with time of possession, and it bit them in the ass. If the Steelers accept the fact that time of possession isn't the be all end all, then maybe they'll finally start using more no-huddle.

  2. #32
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Not sure why everyone is so enamored with TO's. Do you know the top ranked TO teams? Here they are:

    1. Chicago
    2. New England
    3. Giants
    4. Cardinals
    5. Falcons
    6. Seattle
    7. Redskins
    8. Bungles
    9. Browns
    10. Texans
    11. Chargers
    12. Saints
    13. Tampa Bay
    14. Ravens (finally get to the SB winner)

    New England's defense sucks but they get plenty of TOs. 3 of the top 5 teams didn't even make the playoffs (and NE sure as hell didn't make it because of their defense). I understand TO's are important and the Steelers need to get better at it but it isn't a end all be all of defensive stats.
    It is not the be-all... but by the same token, you aren't going to take a picture of the bottom of the takeaway rankings, where the "#1 defense" resides, and see a list of the best defenses there either. Over these past couple seasons, takeaways have been atrocious in Pittsburgh. I'd be willing to bet that if you looked at a list of the worst takeaway teams in the league over the last two years, it would have all of the worst teams. What it does is says that there is a hole in the defensive rankings (i.e. if the best defense can be so toothless).

  3. #33
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    It is not the be-all... but by the same token, you aren't going to take a picture of the bottom of the takeaway rankings, where the "#1 defense" resides, and see a list of the best defenses there either. Over these past couple seasons, takeaways have been atrocious in Pittsburgh. I'd be willing to bet that if you looked at a list of the worst takeaway teams in the league over the last two years, it would have all of the worst teams. What it does is says that there is a hole in the defensive rankings (i.e. if the best defense can be so toothless).
    Turnovers are nice but the number one job of a defense is to keep the opposition from scoring points. The Steelers defense typically ranks among the best in points against.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Turnovers are nice but the number one job of a defense is to keep the opposition from scoring points. The Steelers defense typically ranks among the best in points against.
    The thing is, the offense won't score many points if it has to go 80-90 yards on every drive. If that defense starts making more turnovers, they won't need to be #1 in yards allowed.

    To be fair in regards to field position, special teams needs to do better as well. The blocking on kick/punt returns was downright pathetic, and I can think of a few big returns that were called back on penalties.

  5. #35
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    The thing is, the offense won't score many points if it has to go 80-90 yards on every drive. If that defense starts making more turnovers, they won't need to be #1 in yards allowed.

    To be fair in regards to field position, special teams needs to do better as well. The blocking on kick/punt returns was downright pathetic, and I can think of a few big returns that were called back on penalties.
    I'm not concerned with the defense being number 1 in yards allowed. The most important stat for a defense is ppg.

    Steelers PPG ranks:
    2012 6th (missed playoffs)
    2011 1st
    2010 1st
    2009 12th (missed playoffs)
    2008 1st
    2007 2nd
    2006 11th (missed playoffs)
    2005 3rd
    2004 1st

    Since the Ben era began, if the Steelers don't have a defense that ranks in the top 5 or above in ppg the Steelers missed the playoffs.
    The offense had trouble scoring points off of some of the turnovers the defense created last season. Turnovers don't always equal more scoring.

    The offense probably won't score points with the better scoring offenses in the league because of the Ben's style of play. People praise Ben for his style of play but his style of play makes it difficult for the offense to maintain consistency. As a result, Ben's never lead a top 5 scoring offense and he probably never will. The offensive point production is going to start and end with the play of the QB. People can point the finger wherever they want ie Oline, defense, special teams.... but the point production is going start and end with Ben.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    180
    The offense didn't do much with the few turnovers the defense forced because instead of trying to make the other team pay, the offense was too concerned with time of possession. They never went for the jugular, every drive had to be 10 minutes long and it really worked against the Steelers last year.

    Ben's never had a top-10 offense because the Steelers don't play want to play like that. They want to be known as a defensive-minded team that grinds out low-scoring wins.

  7. #37
    Legend fordfixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    State of confusion
    Posts
    7,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    The offense didn't do much with the few turnovers the defense forced because instead of trying to make the other team pay, the offense was too concerned with time of possession. They never went for the jugular, every drive had to be 10 minutes long and it really worked against the Steelers last year.

    Ben's never had a top-10 offense because the Steelers don't play want to play like that. They want to be known as a defensive-minded team that grinds out low-scoring wins.
    Haven't you been banned from here several times under many different user names?
    Last edited by fordfixer; 07-11-2013 at 12:09 AM.

    Molon labe

    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell



    American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

  8. #38
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,233
    how many times does a team lose the turnover battle and win the game?

    it doesnt happen very often. turnovers are very important

  9. #39
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    The offense didn't do much with the few turnovers the defense forced because instead of trying to make the other team pay, the offense was too concerned with time of possession. They never went for the jugular, every drive had to be 10 minutes long and it really worked against the Steelers last year.

    Ben's never had a top-10 offense because the Steelers don't play want to play like that. They want to be known as a defensive-minded team that grinds out low-scoring wins.
    certainly explains why the cap is always tilted to the defensive side.

    not only that but we spoend #1 oicks on D guys to sit for 2 years(on an already top ranked unit) when clearly the offense was in bigger need

  10. #40
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,384
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    certainly explains why the cap is always tilted to the defensive side.

    not only that but we spoend #1 oicks on D guys to sit for 2 years(on an already top ranked unit) when clearly the offense was in bigger need
    If Bell ends up starting 7 of 11 guys on O are 1st or 2nd round picks.

    On D, only 5 of 11 starters are 1st or 2nd rounders.

    I think our needs on D are bigger than on our O. We need to generate pressure and create turnovers. Granted, I'm not a big fan of picking DEs with our 1st pick in back to back years. Same thing with the OLine. I think we should be doing a better job of developing 2nd or 3rd day picks in the non skill positions and there should be more emphasis on going for big impact skill players on both sides of the ball early in the draft.

    Cowher/Colbert seemed to do a better job of hitting big on 1st rounders. We've slipped a little on that front over the last few years. And not getting those big impact players may be one of the biggest reasons we're in this mediocre transition mode last year as we've lost a lot of team leaders/key starters.

    We need a lot of guys to turn the corner and play up to their potential. And figure out how to start conditioning players so we slow down all the injuries.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •