Thread: Steelers have work to do before March 11

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers have work to do before March 11

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/12/steelers-have-work-to-do-before-march-11/[/URL]

Steelers have work to do before March 11
    Posted by Mike Florio on February 12, 2014, 2:48 PM EST

For the Steelers, salary-cap gymnastics have been a key ingredient of the weeks preceding the start of the new league year. In 2014, it’ll likely be no different.

Projected to be more than $10 million over the cap, the Steelers need to do plenty of work, in a short period of time.

Via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, G.M. Kevin Colbert told a handful of local reporters that the effort will include “terminations, restructurings, and extensions.” That part of it’s not a surprise; the question is who gets cut, who gets a restructured deal, and who gets an extension?

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, with a cap number of $18.8 million for 2014, has been seen as the most likely to get a new long-term deal, especially since it’ll be harder to chop down the cap charge with only one year remaining on his current deal. For every dollar of his $12.1 million base salary that’s converted to a bonus, 50 cents would apply to 2014 and the other 50 would apply to 2015. And with a cap number of $18.3 million in 2015, that number can quickly get even more out of whack.

If, for example, $6 million of Roethlisberger’s base salary is converted to a bonus, his cap charge for 2014 would drop to $15.8 million — and his cap number for 2015 would rise to $21.3 million.

At some point, a new deal will be necessary, but Roethlisberger may want to be paid among the highest-paid quarterbacks in the league, who currently are making more than $20 million per year.

Elsewhere on the roster, cutting tackle Levi Brown would free up $6 million immediately. Dumping cornerback Ike Taylor would open up $7 million in cap space. Whacking safety Troy Polamalu would free up $8.25 million.

Other contracts could be “restructured” like Roethlisberger’s has been in past years, with money converted from salary to bonus, pushing current cap dollars into future years.

Regardless, the Steelers will try to find a way to hold the team together. Colbert explained that the Steelers are “never going to say, OK, we’re not going to be a contender, let’s gut this thing and start over.”

Part of remaining a contender could be finding a way to keep linebacker Jason Worillds (who is due to be a free agent) and linebacker LaMarr Woodley (who has a base salary of $8 million and a cap number of $13.5 million). Colbert said it’s possible to keep both guys.

Despite missing the playoffs in each of the last two years, the Steelers have shown an ability to consistently contend for postseason berths. Recently, they’ve been unable to develop the kind of young talent that previously stepped in when older players left or were cut. Regardless of what the Steelers do with their veteran players, they need to get more mileage out of their draft picks and other young players who eventually become the high-priced veterans whose contracts need to be restructured.
    Not a bad read, pretty informative for Florio I guess.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/12/steelers-have-work-to-do-before-march-11/[/URL]

Not a bad read, pretty informative for Florio I guess.
    I find the statement about Colbert believing that both, Worilds and Woodley can be signed. My question is, why? If you sign both, then you have Worilds and Woodley battling for LOLB and Jones (I assume) at ROLB, which means you are going to have a high salaried starter sitting on the bench. Unless, Woodley can ROLB, then you have a 1st round draft pick sitting on the bench. I'm not sure signing both Woodley and Worilds is something the Steelers should be considering. You are either going to have a large salary sitting or a high draft pick sitting and not getting reps.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I find the statement about Colbert believing that both, Worilds and Woodley can be signed. My question is, why? If you sign both, then you have Worilds and Woodley battling for LOLB and Jones (I assume) at ROLB, which means you are going to have a high salaried starter sitting on the bench. Unless, Woodley can ROLB, then you have a 1st round draft pick sitting on the bench. I'm not sure signing both Woodley and Worilds is something the Steelers should be considering. You are either going to have a large salary sitting or a high draft pick sitting and not getting reps.

Pappy
    If Worilds or Woodley aren't getting reps, it will be because they are injured...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy
    The only way I see them keeping both is if they have intentions of moving JJ inside..

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think if both can be kept around it will be to see if Woodley or JJ can play ROLB. And incase someone including Worilds gets hurt. I don't see them moving JJ inside. With Foote's injury this season they could have done that just to get him on the field. Moving JJ inside is not like moving Timmons inside as I understand it. Timmons was not as much a conversion playing a 4-3 OLB in collage. Also Woodley's cap hit plays a role in this. Better to let him walk next season. He is an expensive plan B. But behind JJ who is there at this point. Will JJ be ready to take the big step for 2014? I am not sure. Maybe if this can work out right for the team is for Worilds and Woodley to start and JJ get playing time in packages, for a breather, and injurys. Boy I know a bunch of you guys will hate this but it might be best for the team and even JJ?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    I think if both can be kept around it will be to see if Woodley or JJ can play ROLB. And incase someone including Worilds gets hurt. I don't see them moving JJ inside. With Foote's injury this season they could have done that just to get him on the field. Moving JJ inside is not like moving Timmons inside as I understand it. Timmons was not as much a conversion playing a 4-3 OLB in collage. Also Woodley's cap hit plays a role in this. Better to let him walk next season. He is an expensive plan B. But behind JJ who is there at this point. Will JJ be ready to take the big step for 2014? I am not sure. Maybe if this can work out right for the team is for Worilds and Woodley to start and JJ get playing time in packages, for a breather, and injurys. Boy I know a bunch of you guys will hate this but it might be best for the team and even JJ?
    thats sounds reasonable to mee.
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    [url=http://img203.imageshack.us/i/32023126285034060670100.jpg/]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg[/url]
    [url=http://img19.imageshack.us/i/steelertowngal.jpg/]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg[/url]
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    The only way I see them keeping both is if they have intentions of moving JJ inside..
    What about moving Woodley inside? He has the size to be a traditional thumper, freeing up Timmons.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    What about moving Woodley inside? He has the size to be a traditional thumper, freeing up Timmons.
    I was thinking the same thing as a possibility.