Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help for a visit to pitt

Legend

User Info Menu

Need help for a visit to pitt

Okay, Ive made a dozen trips or so to pitt with my wife the last 10 years or so and we have our favorite spots. We are bringing 2 other couple with us this year and I would like some input on what we may be missing that the others might like to see. Can you guys suggest a couple bars/restaurants and what to order at those places? A couple suggestion in the strip, station square, south side, pitt u. area, mt lebanon would be helpful.
    We know about primantis, mineos, fatheads and taking them up the incline................thanks

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    Okay, Ive made a dozen trips or so to pitt with my wife the last 10 years or so and we have our favorite spots. We are bringing 2 other couple with us this year and I would like some input on what we may be missing that the others might like to see. Can you guys suggest a couple bars/restaurants and what to order at those places? A couple suggestion in the strip, station square, south side, pitt u. area, mt lebanon would be helpful.
    We know about primantis, mineos, fatheads and taking them up the incline................thanks
    I have no idea what you and the other couples enjoy doing fopr entertainment. However, here a few things that may not necessarily be on your radar.

Phipps Conservatory in Oakland (its a type of botanical garden)
    The Museum of Natural History in Oakland
    A cruise on one of the Gateway Clipper fleet party boats is always a fun evening
    The Andy Warhol Museum makes for a good visit
    A performance at Heinz Hall (this would probably have to be planned in advance to get tix)
    There is also a tour of Pitssburgh in an amphibious vehicle that strolls along the streets and then takes to the rivers
    The Carnegie Science center is an interesting afternoon as well

As far as food goes, if you're up for spending $$$$ then a dinner in any of the Mt. Washington eateries with a view of the city is spectacular (most require coats for men) Call in advance and request a view of the city.

The Georgetown Inn
    The Tin Angel
    Monterrey Bay Fish Grotto (I think there is one on the Mt.)
    LeMont
    Shiloh

If you're up for amusement Park adventure then Kennywood and Sandcastle (waterpark) are good options. Kennywood is a small park, reasonably priced and you can get through it in about 5-6 hours and be satisfied; it isn't a theme park, just rides, food and games.

If you're up for about an 1.5 hour drive, Fallingwater, the home designed and built by Frank Lloyd Wright, that is cantilevered over a stream is an unbelievable experience. While you're there you'll also be a stones throw from Ohio Pyle white water rafting excursions. If you're into white water rafting this is a must.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 06-30-2013 at 08:59 AM.

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Station Square -
    Grand Concourse - this is the old train station turned into a fine dining establishment. Great steak and seafood but not cheap.
    Gandy Dancer - this is the bar attached to the Grand Concourse. Great feel - wood and marble. I believe they have a decent happy hour and it would be a really cool place for cocktails if you didn't want the full Concourse meal.

The Carnegie Museum of Science is fantastic. The Heinz History Center is also very good. Market Square is a nice area to walk around. Agree with Pappy on the Warhol. Interesting place.

Beers:
    The Church Brew Works is an old (over 100 years) Church turned into a Brewery. You can eat there but it's been a while for me.
    Pennsylvania Brewing Co (North Side) does brewery tours. Very German and you can eat there as well.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Go to Hyde Park between PNC Park and Heinz Field...they have awesome food and a nice atmosphere - Walk across duquesne walkway to the point. James Street Gastropub and Speakeasy is a cool place on the north side to enjoy some food and catch some live music, depending on the day you come. I've seen some good musicians in there.

[url]http://www.jamesstreetgastropub.com/events-live-jazz-music-northside-pittsburgh-pa-dining-lunch-dinner-bar-restaurant/index.php[/url]

The Church Brew Works right on Liberty in Bloomfield has some good food and their own brewed beer. Penn Brewery of course is a great place to eat and drink their beer.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

If I were heading to Pittsburgh, here'd be my must do list:

1. Get on the rivers. Best way to see Pittsburgh bar none is via kayak. You can rent em by the hour or day. You can get your own or double up. Everyone will love this. You will fall in love with the city on the water.
    [url]http://www.kayakpittsburgh.org/[/url]

2. Spend an afternoon at Point State Park. There's just something magical about being at the point.

3. Go to the Clemente Musuem. It's a cool building and who doesn't love Clemente? You've gotta make an appointment.
    [url]www.clementemuseum.com/[/url]

4. Do a museum. There's a ton to pick from. I like the Carnegie Art Museums and the Warhol the best, but they aren't for everyone. I'd take a group to the history museum which includes the sports museum.
    [url]http://www.heinzhistorycenter.org/[/url]

5. There's enough beer at the Sharp Edge to go there every night. When I left Pittsburgh, they only had the Emporium (original spot) and the Creekhouse. Now there's 5 locations. You will find beers here you will have a hard time finding anywhere. This is the mecca for anyone that like Belgian Beers. It's decent bar food and anything is good. Before I left Pittsburgh, I'd go here a few times a week. It's the best place no one ever visits.
    [url]http://www.sharpedgebeer.com/[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If you go to the Church Brew Works, have a beer, then walk up the street to Tessaro's for the best effing hamburger you've ever had.

Legend

User Info Menu

Pittsburgh Zoo... i know, its cheezy but its a great zoo.

Legend

User Info Menu

thanks guys. you've got me interested in a few new spots so far.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Pittsburgh Zoo... i know, its cheezy but its a great zoo.
    we took the kids there a few years ago and we loved it..........not cheezy at all

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    thanks guys. you've got me interested in a few new spots so far.
    We're gonna need a trip report