Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers Fans Wrong on Loss of Mike Wallace

  1. #11
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I agree with the article. There is no reason to hate on Mike from a playing perspective. He just didn't fit in with what a lot of fans thought he should be. Frankly, I'm not sure his skill set will be best used in Haley's O anyway, so no need to pay high dollars for a tool you don't really need.
    I don't think anyone hates on him from a playing perspective as much as some fans recognize he was a WR with many flaws who did not handle his departure with class (some will argue I'm sure) playing all out and giving 100%.

    Personally, I'm glad he is gone and hope that it tempers Ben's always hopefu desire to sling the ball deep for a low probability of success while passing up sure gains short.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  2. #12
    Wallace will only be missed if someone doesn't step up and be the guy to catch the long ball once or twice a game... Last year he certainly wasn't clutch in the games he needed to be. He really was a "one trick pony", but was very good at that trick. He was a very fast guy that wasn't a polished product. Will he ever develop into a more complete receiver? I guess we'll see what he does in Miami... The fact that he named the WR group "The Young Money Crew" said a lot about him... What is that supposed to mean? What message did he send to management and his team mates with that moniker?

  3. #13
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Wallace will only be missed if someone doesn't step up and be the guy to catch the long ball once or twice a game... Last year he certainly wasn't clutch in the games he needed to be. He really was a "one trick pony", but was very good at that trick. He was a very fast guy that wasn't a polished product. Will he ever develop into a more complete receiver? I guess we'll see what he does in Miami... The fact that he named the WR group "The Young Money Crew" said a lot about him... What is that supposed to mean? What message did he send to management and his team mates with that moniker?
    IMO, by the end of his second year Wheaton will make us forget Wallace. Much better receiver in every aspect except maybe the 40 yard dash.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    IMO, by the end of his second year Wheaton will make us forget Wallace. Much better receiver in every aspect except maybe the 40 yard dash.
    why in the world you think that? wheaton hasnt played a single snap in the NFL, while wallace has 4 very solid years on his professional resume.

    the simple fact is that some fans got extremely butthurt because wallace refused to play for less than his market value. I harbor no ill will towards wallace, unlike some here who have openly wished him to blow out his knee just because he didn't give the steelers a "hometown discount".

  5. #15
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    why in the world you think that? wheaton hasnt played a single snap in the NFL, while wallace has 4 very solid years on his professional resume.

    the simple fact is that some fans got extremely butthurt because wallace refused to play for less than his market value. I harbor no ill will towards wallace, unlike some here who have openly wished him to blow out his knee just because he didn't give the steelers a "hometown discount".
    It reminds me of all the people that said that Mendy would make us forget Willie Parker because he would be so much better straight out of the draft. While it's nice that Mendy broke the top 10 of Steelers rushers, FWP sits at #3. Wheaton doesn't have to best Wallaces numbers to be useful to this team, but it's silly to predict that a guy that hasn't played an NFL down will be greater than a guy with a real track record of success.

  6. #16
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I don't think anyone hates on him from a playing perspective as much as some fans recognize he was a WR with many flaws who did not handle his departure with class (some will argue I'm sure) playing all out and giving 100%.

    Personally, I'm glad he is gone and hope that it tempers Ben's always hopefu desire to sling the ball deep for a low probability of success while passing up sure gains short.
    I don't believe that Wallace had as many flaws as some fans like to make up. Wallace went all out his first few years in the league and the Steelers received great production out of him. Only one or two WR's in the history of could compare to what Wallace accomplished in his first 3 seasons with the Steelers. Wallace probably didn't perform as well in his 4th season because he missing camp, the offense changed, and Ben missed 3 games.

    The Steelers didn't appear to go all out in contract negotiations with Wallace. If the Steelers gave Brown the contact they offered Wallace then that wasn't fair market value for a player of Wallace's accomplishments. I don't blame Wallace for going into self preservation mode with millions of dollars on the line. It's only a natural reaction to the circumstances. After all, football is business for players and teams. I am certain there are other respected players that will react the same way under similar circumstances ie Bettis faked an injury in camp just so he wouldn't be cut by the Steelers. The entire idea that players should give 100% regardless of the circumstances is BS. Almost no one is going to care what happens to players once their playing days are done.

    The Steelers have no choice but to move on from Wallace. They moved on fine with out other players in the past. However, it may take a season for the Steelers offense to adjust to the loss of Wallace. Having a player that has the big play ability to run past most DB's and coverages in the league just doesn't grow on trees. I don't believe Wallace was the trash that many people are making him out to be.

  7. #17
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    why in the world you think that? wheaton hasnt played a single snap in the NFL, while wallace has 4 very solid years on his professional resume.

    the simple fact is that some fans got extremely butthurt because wallace refused to play for less than his market value. I harbor no ill will towards wallace, unlike some here who have openly wished him to blow out his knee just because he didn't give the steelers a "hometown discount".
    Some people have taken this Wallace issue to personally.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    why in the world you think that? wheaton hasnt played a single snap in the NFL, while wallace has 4 very solid years on his professional resume.

    the simple fact is that some fans got extremely butthurt because wallace refused to play for less than his market value. I harbor no ill will towards wallace, unlike some here who have openly wished him to blow out his knee just because he didn't give the steelers a "hometown discount".
    I, and most fans, don't hold it against Wallace that he didn't take the "hometown discount"....

    My problem with Wallace was his subpar effort in his last season as a Steeler....if he had refused to sign but showed up and balled like it was his job (it was, BTW) there would be no ill will on my part...

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    why in the world you think that? wheaton hasnt played a single snap in the NFL, while wallace has 4 very solid years on his professional resume.

    the simple fact is that some fans got extremely butthurt because wallace refused to play for less than his market value. I harbor no ill will towards wallace, unlike some here who have openly wished him to blow out his knee just because he didn't give the steelers a "hometown discount".
    lol. Because in Pittsburgh, if he's not wearing a Steeler uniform, he sucks.

    Personally, I'm glad he is gone and hope that it tempers Ben's always hopefu desire to sling the ball deep for a low probability of success while passing up sure gains short.
    No offense, but this seems like an outdated mentality. Dink and dunk didn't get the Steelers anywhere last season. Before you say "OH IT WORKED SO WELL BEFORE BEN GOT HURT!", lets take a look at the teams they beat:

    NY Jets
    Philadelphia
    Cincinnati
    Washington
    NY Giants
    Kansas City
    Baltimore
    Cleveland

    The Jets, Eagles, Chiefs, and Browns all sucked and the Giants were mediocre. The Redskins and Bengals were playoff teams, but when they played the Steelers they both had losing records and were in a low point of their seasons. Was good to see Batch beat the Ravens, but lets be honest - that was a fluke.

    So really, last year's offense didn't prove anything.

  10. #20
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I, and most fans, don't hold it against Wallace that he didn't take the "hometown discount"....

    My problem with Wallace was his subpar effort in his last season as a Steeler....if he had refused to sign but showed up and balled like it was his job (it was, BTW) there would be no ill will on my part...
    Nail on Head. Exactly. It is the Wallace supporters who want to cast everyone who doesn't miss him as having a vendetta. He is a player and can choose to play wherever he wants but he played it safe last year and other fans don't have to think that is OK.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •