Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
Here's my take on the Mike Wallace situation. Mike Wallace is a good receiver and one of the best (if not the best) deep threats in the game. Ben Roethlisberger is one of the best quarterbacks in the game, probably top 5, maybe better, but at worst top 10. Ben isn't simply going to complete 64 less passes than he did last year, because Wallace isn't there. He will find 64 other targets, maybe Brown, maybe Sanders, maybe Miller, maybe Dwyer or Bell, but one thing for sure, Ben isn't completing less passes than he did last year because Mike Wallace is gone. However, the possibility exists that Wallace will not catch 64 passes, because he isn't going to have one of the best quarterbacks in the game throwing him the ball.

I'd rather be in the Steelers situation with Ben still here and Wallace gone, than having Wallace, but not the elite quarterback throwing him the ball. Wide receivers aren't the make or break players in the NFL, it's the quarterback and the Steelers have one of the best, they'll be fine. Mike Wallace may catch 64 passes or more, but if you asked me to wager money on whether he will or not, I'd bet on him not catching as many passes from Tannehill. He could also be doubled every play, I don't know who is opposite him in Miami.

For me, and I liked Mike Wallace and wish he was still a Steeler, I like the Steeler situation having Ben and not Wallace. Ben will make up the catches and yards with the receivers, backs and tight ends at his disposal. He may even turn one of them into a Pro-Bowl receiver.

Pappy
Excellent assessment and exactly how I see it. Just need to replace 64 catches, not Mike Wallace and 64 catches are not elite WR numbers.