Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's about friggin time....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Buddy, we're on an internet forum months before a ball has been snapped! You don't think we're all chomping at the bit??
    I hear ya. But JD always takes it to another level and gets me crazy fired up even in the most boring part of the offseason

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I hear ya. But JD always takes it to another level and gets me crazy fired up even in the most boring part of the offseason
    Thanks Flippy!!!

If you ever find yourself in San Jose, CA during the football season...you need to PM so we can watch a game!!

I belong to the 408 Steelcity Mafia, and we have a huge following!!!!

Of course, I'm the Middle Linebacker of the crew!!!

JD
    Last edited by JDSteeler; 06-22-2013 at 10:09 PM.
    The Pittsburgh Steelers: There is NO other Team!

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...6jpg-1-1-1.jpg

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Again. ALL teams use zone blocking in their play-calling. Nothing new. Depending on the OLman's responsibility, trapping is not zone blocking. OK, one of your OLmen could be zone blocking while others are man blocking,etc. The one doing the trapping is man blocking. Anyways....whatever... what I want to see is more use of a . LeadFBing the way for the RB. You might want to see more cut backs, but I'd rather see good old fashioned smash mouth football.
    Sorry I'm not a Oline coach, but I think you know what I mean when I stressed that the Playbook is now going to have more than one running play in IT!!!!!

I agree with you about having a lead blocker, but if the defense is stacking all 11 in the "A" freaking gap, it won't freaking work anyway...Lead blocker or not!!

So freaking sick and freaking tired of the RUTFM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

FRoooooooooooothing at the mouth like a crazed dog!!!!!!!!!!!

JD
    The Pittsburgh Steelers: There is NO other Team!

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...6jpg-1-1-1.jpg

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JDSteeler View Post
    Sorry I'm not a Oline coach, but I think you know what I mean when I stressed that the Playbook is now going to have more than one running play in IT!!!!!

I agree with you about having a lead blocker, but if the defense is stacking all 11 in the "A" freaking gap, it won't freaking work anyway...Lead blocker or not!!

So freaking sick and freaking tired of the RUTFM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

FRoooooooooooothing at the mouth like a crazed dog!!!!!!!!!!!

JD
    The wasted downs are probably the primary factor in the offense not scoring as much as it ought to. I look forward to this change.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    The wasted downs are probably the primary factor in the offense not scoring as much as it ought to. I look forward to this change.
    The reason they called those RUTMs was to try and possess the ball. Obviously, that didn't work out very well and it just ended up putting the offense in a situation where Ben had to bail them out on 3rd & long. Makes one wonder if this team was actually trying to score, or was just trying to hang onto the ball.

Remember early in the 3rd quarter in the Cincy game, it was the first play I believe. Cortez Allen intercepts Dalton to set the offense up in the Bengals' side of the field. What does the offense do?

1st down: RUTM, no gain
    2nd down: RUTM, no gain
    3rd & long: Ben sacked, Steelers have to punt

Not only does this offense need to be more creative in running, they need to develop a killer instinct. Make the other team pay for their mistakes. The offense shouldn't worry about being the defense's nanny with possession time, the offense needs to score points.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    The reason they called those RUTMs was to try and possess the ball. Obviously, that didn't work out very well and it just ended up putting the offense in a situation where Ben had to bail them out on 3rd & long. Makes one wonder if this team was actually trying to score, or was just trying to hang onto the ball.

Remember early in the 3rd quarter in the Cincy game, it was the first play I believe. Cortez Allen intercepts Dalton to set the offense up in the Bengals' side of the field. What does the offense do?

1st down: RUTM, no gain
    2nd down: RUTM, no gain
    3rd & long: Ben sacked, Steelers have to punt

Not only does this offense need to be more creative in running, they need to develop a killer instinct. Make the other team pay for their mistakes. The offense shouldn't worry about being the defense's nanny with possession time, the offense needs to score points.
    Only you forget that it is a team game...... Offense and defense.
    Just like we want turnovers by the D to help the O, you want the offense to control the ball to aid the offense.
    You can do both.
    3 Highest scoring teams in Ben's career had the most run attempts.

The problem in recent years has not been running too much, it is ineffective running when we do run.

Balance plus Ben has NEVER missed a playoff.

Pass heavy plus Ben is 50/50.

This is not speculation, not a theory, it is proven fact.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Rookie

User Info Menu

The reason Haley ran up the middle so much was not necessarily because he lacked imagination...It was because they lacked the personnel at RB to do so...Mendenhall was hurt...Redman and Dwyer were not outside threats...Rainey was ineffective...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Only you forget that it is a team game...... Offense and defense.
    Just like we want turnovers by the D to help the O, you want the offense to control the ball to aid the offense.
    You can do both.
    3 Highest scoring teams in Ben's career had the most run attempts.

The problem in recent years has not been running too much, it is ineffective running when we do run.

Balance plus Ben has NEVER missed a playoff.

Pass heavy plus Ben is 50/50.

This is not speculation, not a theory, it is proven fact.
    I assume you meant aid the defense?

There's a time and a place for that, but last season the Steelers took it to the extreme. You want to milk the clock when you have a lead in the fourth. However, when you're defense gets you a turnover on the other team's side of the field, you don't dick around with that. Remember the Denver game? The only reason the final score was respectable was because of how good Ben was on 3rd down. They spent too much of the first half worrying about possession time rather than putting up points. The NFL has changed. It's more about scoring, less about possession and yards against on defense.

If you don't take my word for it, look at last year's playoff teams. Most of them were middle of the pack when it came to time of possession. The Ravens were 30th in that regard.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Again. ALL teams use zone blocking in their play-calling. Nothing new. Depending on the OLman's responsibility, trapping is not zone blocking. OK, one of your OLmen could be zone blocking while others are man blocking,etc. The one doing the trapping is man blocking. Anyways....whatever... what I want to see is more use of a FB. Leading the way for the RB. You might want to see more cut backs, but I'd rather see good old fashioned smash mouth football.
    Amen pfelix.