Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaron Hernandez WTF?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Why does a guy who just signed a $40M contract have 3 rental cars out in his name? Some of this stuff just sounds bizarre.
    What seems damning is him:
    -getting rid of the surveillance video at his home, for that time period
    -physically destroying his cell phone
    -hiring a cleaning service following the weekend

I have very little faith in our justice system, but if this guy is able to get off just even knowing those circumstantial bits... I would be amazed.

As it relates to the Cheats*, I agree that this is big news. Gronk has had like 5 surgeries already, and this is after a college career that he was always hurt. I think we've seen the best of him (though he could still probably be a solid veteran type--Jeremy Shockey). Without the TE dimension that these two brought, losing Wes Welker... I mean, Belichick* is certainly going to have to resort to his own "genius" (get the secret taping program back in full effect) to get beyond this.
    Last edited by Shoe; 06-21-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    What seems damning is him:
    -getting rid of the surveillance video at his home, for that time period
    -physically destroying his cell phone
    -hiring a cleaning service following the weekend

I have very little faith in our justice system, but if this guy is able to get off just even knowing those circumstantial bits... I would be amazed.

As it relates to the Cheats*, I agree that this is big news. Gronk has had like 5 surgeries already, and this is after a college career that he was always hurt. I think we've seen the best of him (though he could still probably be a solid veteran type--Jeremy Shockey). Without the TE dimension that these two brought, losing Wes Welker... I mean, Belichick* is certainly going to have to resort to his own "genius" (get the secret taping program back in full effect) to get beyond this.
    Those 3 things make it look like he was the ring leader of a sloppy set up.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Tebow was his college teammate. Wonder if he was involved in someone. None of this started until the Pats signed Tebow afterall. Or maybe Tebow's done being Mr Nice Guy and framed him to take out his competition?
    It's like Tebow going all Lindsey Lohan in "Mean Girls".

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    It's like Tebow going all Lindsey Lohan in "Mean Girls".
    Never saw mean girls, but I can definitely see potential similarities between Tebow and LL.

Legend

User Info Menu

If Ben had sent a clean up crew into the bathroom in Georgia, stole the bar's surveillance tapes and destroyed his phone what do you think we would be hearing on ESPN and the NFL Network?

Kraft has ESPN and Goodell in his back pocket and they will make this back page news as fast as they can.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    If Ben had sent a clean up crew into the bathroom in Georgia, stole the bar's surveillance tapes and destroyed his phone what do you think we would be hearing on ESPN and the NFL Network?

Kraft has ESPN and Goodell in his back pocket and they will make this back page news as fast as they can.
    I've heard this is all over the news in Boston even with the Bruins in the Stnaley Cup. I've heard more about it lately. I suspect people would care if it was Tom Brady.

This guy isn't even their #1 TE. It would be about as newsworthy as Matt Spaeth killing someone.

Backup

User Info Menu

I've heard this is all over the news in Boston even with the Bruins in the Stnaley Cup. I've heard more about it lately. I suspect people would care if it was Tom Brady.

This guy isn't even their #1 TE. It would be about as newsworthy as Matt Spaeth killing someone.
    Totally different than Spaeth in Pittsburgh. Hernandez isn't just their #2 TE. He has more than doubled Spaeth's TDs in just 3 years. Spaeth has been playing for 6 years and Hernandez has 5 TIMES more yards. Also the Steelers don't use the TE very often. So their #2 is nothing more than another OL on the line. Spaeth is a nobody here and I'm not sure he is even the #2 TE. Still Hernandez and Gronk allowed the pats* to totally change their offense. They are TE centered. The Steelers aren't.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

What are you talking about?
    This story is everywhere.
    It was yesterday too when you posted.

Look at earlier posts on this very thread.

And it ain't gonna go away.

ESPN, NFL network, heck regular network news.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-21-2013 at 09:07 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

hernandez could face suspension

[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/new-england-patriots-aaron-hernandez-could-be-suspended-nfl-conduct-standards-062113[/url]

Roger Goodell is expected to meet with Aaron Hernandez as the legal process unfolds.

UPDATED JUN 21, 2013 6:43 PM ET

New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez may soon be facing criminal charges stemming from his potential involvement in a recent Massachusetts homicide.

He will probably have a date in Judge Roger’s courtroom, too.

Multiple media outlets reported Friday morning that a warrant was issued for Hernandez’s arrest on an obstruction-of-justice charge related to the unsolved Monday shooting death of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd. The Boston Globe subsequently quoted anonymous law-enforcement sources claiming that no warrant was issued but that an arrest could still happen.

As the legal process unfolds and more information is made public, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is expected to meet with Hernandez to discuss the situation.

Goodell has the right to suspend Hernandez under the NFL’s personal conduct policy even if the 23-year-old is never charged with a crime or charges filed against him are later dropped. The former happened in 2010 with Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who was accused of sexual assault by a 20-year-old female in Milledgeville, Ga.

Although police never charged him with a crime, Roethlisberger was still suspended six games under Goodell’s premise that the quarterback endangered underage college students by purchasing alcohol for them and damaged the NFL’s reputation with the attention drawn to the incident.

Goodell also ordered Roethlisberger to “undergo a comprehensive behavioral evaluation by medical professionals” for clearance to return. Roethlisberger complied, and the suspension was reduced to four games.

HOMICIDE INVESTIGATION
    Police have been searching Aaron Hernandez's house and surrounding areas.
    “There is no question that the excessive consumption of alcohol that evening put the students and yourself at risk,” Goodell wrote in his suspension letter to Roethlisberger. “The Personal Conduct Policy makes clear that I may impose discipline ‘even where the conduct does not result in conviction of a crime.’ ”

Such punishment usually isn’t levied against a player such as Hernandez who would be considered a “first-time offender” under the policy or before legal proceedings are completed. However, the rules Goodell instituted in 2006 give him that broad leeway.

Per the policy, Goodell may believe that the “available facts clearly indicate egregious circumstances, significant bodily harm or risk to third parties, or an immediate and substantial risk to the integrity and reputation of the NFL.”

Hernandez could appeal any potential suspension, but such a plea may very well be heard by Goodell himself. The NFL Players Association agreed to continue giving Goodell such wide-ranging authority when negotiating a new collective bargaining agreement in 2006. Goodell also could recuse himself from hearing the appeal and give the assignment to another league official as he did with the New Orleans Saints bounty case in 2012.

Hernandez signed a seven-year, $41.2 million contract extension in 2012 that included a $12.5 million signing bonus. With a 2013 base salary of $1.323 million, Hernandez would lose $77,823.53 for each game he was suspended based upon the NFL’s 17-week regular season.

Police are investigating whether Hernandez and several associates are connected to Lloyd’s death. The Boston Globe reported that there is video surveillance footage of Hernandez and Lloyd together from the night of the latter’s death. ABC News reported that Hernandez destroyed his cell phone and home surveillance system and hired a cleaning crew to scrub the residence. Hernandez reportedly hasn’t cooperated with police and has hired an attorney.

Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski have become the NFL’s best young pair of tight ends since being drafted by the Patriots in 2010. Despite the fact Hernandez won the 2009 Mackey Award annually given to college football’s top tight end, it’s widely believed he slipped into the fourth round because of off-field character concerns.

The Patriots may be without both Hernandez and Gronkowski to open the regular season. Gronkowski is expected to enter training camp on the physically unable to perform list following last week’s back surgery.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post

As the legal process unfolds and more information is made public, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is expected to meet with Hernandez to discuss the situation.
    The legal process hasn't slowed down Goodell in the past. Goodell should treat him as though he shot 2 people and suspend him for life.