Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Resigning Sanders Keep the Pats Out of the Play Offs

Legend

User Info Menu

Did Resigning Sanders Keep the Pats Out of the Play Offs

While it didn't seem so at the time could our matching and keeping Sanders end up keeping the Pats either out of the play offs or limit their stay? The have lost four of their top five receivers from last season and Gronkowski could be limited. Brady has to throw to someone and while he is great he can't make guys catch the ball.

Would be nice to see this added benefit of keeping Sanders come true.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

While I would love to see Sanders produce big this season, the only way I can see it happening is if he is the complimentary guy within the system. Teams set up their focus on stopping the run, taking away Brown, taking away Heath, and then Sanders gets the big catch to move the chains.

The Pats will need more than that in order to move on. They need a focal point. They are without a dominant runner, they don't have a TE to speak of until Gronk returns, and their starting receivers will be Donald Jones and Danny Amendola. Nowhere for Sanders to hide with that group, he would have had to be front and center.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Pats are fine. WRs and TEs are a dime a dozen. If the Pats lost Brady, then there would be reason for concern. The others? Meh.

I heard them talking about the value of TEs on ESPN radio yesterday. And they said when Gronk got hurt last year, it had no impact on the Vegas line. So the best of TEs aren't even worth a half a point on the Vegas lines.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The Pats are fine. WRs and TEs are a dime a dozen. If the Pats lost Brady, then there would be reason for concern. The others? Meh.

I heard them talking about the value of TEs on ESPN radio yesterday. And they said when Gronk got hurt last year, it had no impact on the Vegas line. So the best of TEs aren't even worth a half a point on the Vegas lines.
    No impact on the Vegas line...but a huge impact in the actual game....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It is possible. To say that WR/TE are dime a dozen is silly if you think about it. This isn't a 27-year old Brady*. He's older... to expect him to be able to continue to make chicken salad out of chicken feathers is unrealistic. Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez were players.

But getting back to it, it is AMAZING how ONE little play changes fortunes.

If SD (Norv) stops BAL on a 4th and 29, BAL doesn't even make playoffs and the Aaron Hernandez's idol Ray Lewis doesn't have his walk-off Cinderella moment.

If Tim Duncan makes a layup at the end of Game 6, Lebron is not a 2x champ who's legacy is solidified. He is a 1x champ who lost another Finals, putting him firmly under the microscope again.

Two simple plays. A stop on 4th and 29, and a layup. And we're talking about to totally different scenarios. So for sure, not signing a guy like Sanders could have profound consequences.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

While I generally agree having many times made the case against overpaying receivers, THIS is an extreme case of loss.
    Brady does not need great receiver talent but he DOES thrive on being on the same page with his favorite targets.

He has lost his ENTIRE CREW (eventually will get Gronk back).

THIS level of loss is gonna hurt him.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Amendola won't play half the season....the Pats passing game is in trouble along w/ their running game now that teams won't fear them.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Amendola won't play half the season....the Pats passing game is in trouble along w/ their running game now that teams won't fear them.
    I think the Pats offense is going to struggle which is why posted the premise that not getting Sanders may end up hurting them more than anyone imagined at the time.

Fortunately for the Pats they are in the AFC East which is pretty much a joke. If they were in the AFC North they could easily finish #4.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    While I generally agree having many times made the case against overpaying receivers, THIS is an extreme case of loss.
    Brady does not need great receiver talent but he DOES thrive on being on the same page with his favorite targets.

He has lost his ENTIRE CREW (eventually will get Gronk back).

THIS level of loss is gonna hurt him.
    They seem to have done ok plugging in nobodies with great success that have become their current receiving core. I don't think they'll have much problem plugging in the next set of relatively unknowns.

Plus now they are running the ball better. I think Tom will be fine with about any crew. Time will tell.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Sure, they may be able to do fine. But the point of playing is not to just do fine--It is to win. They won't win the SB with Danny Amendola as their biggest/best weapon.