Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will the 2013 Draft be the best of the decade?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    One of my all time favorite drafts, if not THE most favorite!

I loved the Jones pick (wanted him at #17). Can't wait to see this kid cause some damage to his opponents! Already has become my third favorite Steeler, favorite linebacker ever (already has passed up LaMarr Woodley..a former Wolverine!!)!

Wanted Bell in the third round, but later realized that it was a safe bet to get Bell in the second (running backs went fast right after our pick). Could be the starter soon..no later by midseason. Dwyer will probably be the odd man out.

Wheaton I'm still meh about...but we did need more WRs. Hopefully Antonio Brown will still be the star WR/#1.

Still meh on Thomas...but we needed to find Polamalu's or Clark's replacement sooner or later. Thomas is a hard hitter, which I like in our safeties.

Loved the Hawthorne pick. Had him in the 6th (or was it the 4th)..either way, still wanted Hawthorne. A true ball hawk and not afraid to crack someone.

Was wanting Tyler Bray...only because I didn't think Landry Jones would have been there for us when we drafted him in the fourth. Hopefully he'll be our franchise quarterback after Roethlisberger retires in a few years. Don't want that to happen right now, though.

Justin Brown..just a filler and depth. More than likely practice squad.

Vince Williams...didn't really know much about him, but after seeing highlights..could be Foote's replacement. (I've heard and read A LOT of positive things about this kid and how this was some excellent value where we got him). Two Seminole alumni at middle linebacker? I'd take it!

Nick Williams..mostly depth. Kid seems good value at our seventh round pick..however..Te'amu, McClendon and Fangupo are ahead of him. More than likely practice squad for a few years.
    Funny thing is that Thomas was my FAVORITE pick considering where we got him.
    I truly do not see a great gulf between him and the first rounders at safety.

This was an extremely deep safety class. As the fastest, strongest guy at his position he might two rounds higher in a typical draft. Real value pick.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    The way you feel about this year's draft is the way I felt about last year's. Little did I know that 2 of the top 3 picks wouldn't make it out of training camp without severe injuries, another got drunk and played demolition derby on the streets of Pittsburgh and a fourth decides he can bat around a lady. It's too early to evaluate the 2012 class but so far I am very disappointed.
    I felt the same way last year. I thought the Steelers had shored up the line and and that Te'amu would be the next NT. I didn't love the Spence pick immediately, but as I watched him in the preseason, I thought he would be, at a minimum, a great situational player.

I haven't given up on 2012, but it's not shaping up as I hoped.

I'm almost always optimistic about the picks after the draft - that is part of the beauty of the draft - optimism and promise. I think you really do have to wait about 3 years, at least, to judge the class.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Funny thing is that Thomas was my FAVORITE pick considering where we got him.
    I truly do not see a great gulf between him and the first rounders at safety.

This was an extremely deep safety class. As the fastest, strongest guy at his position he might two rounds higher in a typical draft. Real value pick.
    I agree...Thomas was a great pick at that spot. Also why is Wheaton not getting any love? Guy appears to be a better version of Wallace.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I agree...Thomas was a great pick at that spot. Also why is Wheaton not getting any love? Guy appears to be a better version of Wallace.
    I think everybody is pretty pleased with the Wheaton pick. I've seen many people say that he was more polished coming out of school than Wallace was, but Wheaton doesn't have Wallace's deep speed. I think he will be more of a Brown/Sanders type - fast enough and a polished route runner.

Legend

User Info Menu

I loved the Jones pick (wanted him at #17). Can't wait to see this kid cause some damage to his opponents! Already has become my third favorite Steeler, favorite linebacker ever (already has passed up LaMarr Woodley..a former Wolverine!!)!
    I was high on Jarvis Jones as well, but he's already your favorite linebacker ever? He hasn't done jack squat in black and gold other than non-contact off-season practices, but you are already ranking him ahead of Jack Ham, Jack Lambert, Andy Russell, Greg Lloyd, Levon Kirkland, Kevin Greene, Joey Porter, James Harrison, etc.?

You also started off by saying "One of my all time favorite drafts, if not THE most favorite!" Every Steeler fan's favorite draft was 1974, featuring Swann in the 1st, Lambert in the 2nd, Stallworth in the 4th, and Webster in the 5th. No other draft is going to net 4 Hall of Famers.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Worilds will surprise everyone and lead the team in sacks this season. Jones will get some reps but LeBeau will not give him significant reps.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Worilds will surprise everyone and lead the team in sacks this season. Jones will get some reps but LeBeau will not give him significant reps.
    I'm gonna guess Jones has 10 sacks as a situational pass rusher. I think the kid is a beast and it's gonna be hard to keep him off the field on 3rd downs. It might be good to get a rotation going to keep pash rushers fresh.

I don't see it happening this year, but I'd like to see Heyward beat out Keisel and have Brett return to the role of a 3rd down pass rusher which he excelled at back when Kimo was our starter.

I'd like to see us evolve to substitute more on D to keep guys fresh.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I was high on Jarvis Jones as well, but he's already your favorite linebacker ever? He hasn't done jack squat in black and gold other than non-contact off-season practices, but you are already ranking him ahead of Jack Ham, Jack Lambert, Andy Russell, Greg Lloyd, Levon Kirkland, Kevin Greene, Joey Porter, James Harrison, etc.?

You also started off by saying "One of my all time favorite drafts, if not THE most favorite!" Every Steeler fan's favorite draft was 1974, featuring Swann in the 1st, Lambert in the 2nd, Stallworth in the 4th, and Webster in the 5th. No other draft is going to net 4 Hall of Famers.
    Ruthless, he sounds like SOMEBODY WHO DON"T KNOW JACK about Steeler linebackers.

Attached Images Attached Images

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    How many OLBs struggled with the Steelers and thrived elsewhere? The only one that I can think of is Vrabel, and that was in large part because he was moved back and forth between OLB and DE early in his career.

If Lebeau holds players back, as you contend, kindly site the examples.
    Lebeau really messed up with Vrabel. Coulda been a great one. even though Lebeau was the coach for the Bengals while he was here, he's completely responsible for the Vrabel mishap.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    give over man. I don't think Jones will get a lot of playing time for one main reason: HE'S A ROOKIE AND HASN'T HAD TIME TO ADJUST TO THE NFL. The worst starting LT in the league is better than anyone he EVER played against at Georgie (yes I spelled that the way I wanted to). LT's in this league aren't handed the job and they develop into starters (unless they're top 3 pick in the draft).