Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Will the 2013 Draft be the best of the decade?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Worilds will surprise everyone and lead the team in sacks this season. Jones will get some reps but LeBeau will not give him significant reps.
    Not gonna happen.
    Mark my words. WOODLEY will lead the team in sacks.....it wont be close.

We know what he is capable of, reports are he is in great shape. I dont care what he "says" his actions say he was embarrassed by his pathetic season and the resulting criticism.
    I never thought the money made him complacent. HE almost always starts slow, indicative of a guy who plays his way into shape.

Butler publicly called him out, and he is in better shape that ever at this time of year.

If we get "playoff" Woodley from game one......dude is gonna be a sack machine.

If Worilds was "all that" we would not have offerred Harrison more than anyone in the league, would have extended Worilds for a steal, and Jones would not be a Steeler.

Those three actions do not imply that the people in the know see Worilds as a sack leader.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Not gonna happen.

We know what he is capable of, reports are he is in great shape. I dont care what he "says" his actions say he was embarrassed by his pathetic season and the resulting criticism.
    I never thought the money made him complacent. HE almost always starts slow, indicative of a guy who plays his way into shape.

Butler publicly called him out, and he is in better shape that ever at this time of year.

If Worilds was "all that" we would not have offerred Harrison more than anyone in the league, would have extended Worilds for a steal, and Jones would not be a Steeler.

Those three actions do not imply that the people in the know see Worilds as a sack leader.
    You may be right about Woodley (leading the team next year), but how can you say complacency wasn't a factor? He signed his BIG deal two seasons ago, averaging 11 sacks a year previously. After his deal--it has dropped to 6 1/2.

It can be argued that he is the BIGGEST culprit when it comes to a complacent attitude.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    You may be right about Woodley (leading the team next year), but how can you say complacency wasn't a factor? He signed his BIG deal two seasons ago, averaging 11 sacks a year previously. After his deal--it has dropped to 6 1/2.

It can be argued that he is the BIGGEST culprit when it comes to a complacent attitude.
    This is opinion, but the way I see it is Woodley has much to prove, much to live up to, this year. He underprepared and underperformed last year. Worilds outplayed him last year, for alot less $$$. If Wood performs to his salary, great; if not then let him go. I think Worilds will have a solid, significant year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post

Look closely my friend .
    2011 Woodley had ALL 9 of his sacks during the first half of the season. Got hurt and had no more sacks.
    2012 He had 2 of his 4 sacks in the first 3 games. Got hurt in game 4, pathetic the rest of the way.

Therefore, especially 2011 dude was on a Steeler record pace through game 8, I see no letdown based on the money he got. One can make a case that he was more ready in post contact seasons than in years past.

The difference between the early years and now are the injuries.

I never said he was not complacent, just that "the money" did not make him complacent.

Woodley used to be able to get away with coming in out of shape and used to just start slow.

Nowadays he cannot afford to do that because you get more prone to injury carrying too much weight as the years go on.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-21-2013 at 03:00 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

A healthy motivated Woodley is a monster. Will he ever get back there? Not sure.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think you have to allow three years before you can crown a draft anything. Given the numbers over the years, you want your Top 3 picks to turn into starters or major contributors. Throw in Thomas because they gave up a 3rd to get him. That 3 year window tends to be pushed or even roll over into year 4 on contending teams because the talent on the roster. Given the Steelers age situation...I think the window is smaller. If you miss on your 1st, it really diminishes the rest of the draft class. What makes the class strong is when you hit on the guys that statistically won't turn into starters or contributors in rounds 4-7 or UDFA. There is a laundry list of scenarios related to system & position where guys in the later rounds are viewed as potential starters down the road. "Statistically" speaking league wide through history....These players are depth, journeymen, and many don't make it.

The Steelers draft was with "extreme prejudice" to my process so I HOPE down the road those "prejudices" will no longer exist based on the outcome. Saying that, you would expect Jones, Bell, & Thomas to become fulltime starters. You would expect Wheaton to at least become a productive #3. Jones is not a sure thing by no means but he has the uncoachable football smarts where you have to really like his chances if his medical doesn't ever surface. You would expect Jones to be a 10+ sack guy in this system. Drafting RB Bell this high has to become your feature in that time frame. You would expect Bell to be a 1,000 back once he earns the starting role. You would also expect Wheaton to be at least a #3 who can slide in as a starter in a pinch. A 40+ catch guy min once he moves to #3. Given Thomas's position, I think it is very realistic to expect him to be a starter once Troy is done. The only thing holding him out of the 1st 2 rounds was his height so if he proves that is a non factor...You would expect him to become a starter once his path is cleared. I think that would be the "floor". Anything less than that would be a disappointment.

The rest of the picks is where this draft could become special. Everyone form L Jones to Williams is "viewed" as depth & role but they could provide some real value if not turn into starters some day.

Jones is the young backup to groom but has the physical tools to develop into a starting NFL QB. How high he climbs is up to his mental development.

Hawthorne is expected to be nothing more than a body in sub packages but he has the physical ability to be a starter. Some technique coaching and absorbing from the vets around him could make him push the nickel back.

Brown is your hit or miss guy. It is funny...They Steelers did the same thing on another 6th round Brown. J Brown is the Steelers chance at a Boldin or he will be just another late round WR. That will be his niche. Recognize it, develop it, & he has a chance in the NFL. Try to be any other type of WR...He won't make it. He could be the guy who pushes a vet off the roster or PS material.

Then there is everyone's favorite ILB Williams. You don't expect much from a 6th round ILB but a possible back-up, a developmental PS player, or camp body. In this system, he has a chance. Average athletes tend to excel as system players and I think Williams could be that type of player. He has some "intangibles" as a defensive player that fits an ILB. You put that type of player next to a Superstar and good things could happen.

A Gem perhaps...Nick Williams. Best way I could describe him is...A raw 16oz filet mignon sitting on a plate. He could follow the same path as Keisel. I don't expect anything early but if he could sit on the PS and develop...He may be a rotation guy by 2014 and push everyone in front of him. If football was his passion in HS instead of basketball...He may have been playing for Alabama and everyone would have known his name.

Since I metioned UDFA, I will throw out a few based on college tape. Seeing them in pads could change things quick. I think Embernate, Dunn, and Ingram have the best chances to make the 53. I also think Baxter & McNeal have a chance to stick around on the PS. Madsen, Farrell, Garvin, Golic, & Hunter will have to really impress in the Preseason just to get consideration for the PS. I can't judge Tuitupou on lack of tape. From what I did see he is a capable receiver who is a pretty good inline blocker. He was recruited to Utah as an OT and left there for Jr College so he is "raw" as a receiver. The rest I already wrote off as camp bodies.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 06-21-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

JPN why are you screaming?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Not gonna happen.

We shall see but in the past two years Woodley has grossly underperformed and couldn't stay healthy. We'll see if there is some magic fairy dust he has been sprinkled with this off season but I wouldn't count on it.

If you need two poor seasons to "motivate you" then you aren't much of a Pro and leopards rarely change their spots over the long term.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    We shall see but in the past two years Woodley has grossly underperformed and couldn't stay healthy. We'll see if there is some magic fairy dust he has been sprinkled with this off season but I wouldn't count on it.

If you need two poor seasons to "motivate you" then you aren't much of a Pro and leopards rarely change their spots over the long term.
    Woodley isn't the only OLB with health issues. Part of the reason that Worilds was held back or whatever you always say was that he was not healthy and was not able to suit up and try to grab an opportunity.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

who are all these other OLBs lebeau holds back?

did we ever get an answer?
    Last edited by Eddie Spaghetti; 06-21-2013 at 05:39 PM.