Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warren Sapp: Pittsburgh Steelers' D still 'old and slow'

Legend

User Info Menu

Warren Sapp: Pittsburgh Steelers' D still 'old and slow'

Apparently, Warren Sapp isn't finished talking about the Pittsburgh Steelers' defense.

Back in 2011, the NFL Network analyst made enemies galore in the Steel City when he slammed Pittsburgh's aging D after a Week 1 drubbing at the hands of the Baltimore Ravens.

"They're old and slow," Sapp told "The Dan Patrick Show," saying he saw "old, ornery veterans get whooped" up and down the field.

Asked Wednesday on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" if he'd still call the Steelers' defense "old and slow," Sapp didn't hesitate.

"Old and slow? Yes, I would," Sapp said. "Because seven of the 11 starters are 28 years or older, and that's around the time, in this league, they go to questioning, you know, 'Where's his legs? Should we look for the backup?'

"And Brett Keisel, bless his soul, No. 99 in your program, No. 1 in your heart, he turns 35 the first month of the year. And three of the four secondary guys there are 32 years old or older."

Yes, the Steelers are flooded with blue hairs, but we doubt they're listening. That "old and slow" Pittsburgh defense started out ugly in 2011 but finished as the NFL's top unit. For an encore, the Steelers went out and did it again last season.

The constant here is 75-year-old defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, who has been coaching since Richard Nixon roamed the White House and probably doesn't watch much NFL Network. LeBeau just coaches. Old players, slow players and some of the league's best.

UPDATE: Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey was asked about Sapp's comment Thursday morning on NFL Network's "NFL AM." He was not worried: "You know everybody has their own opinion," Pouncey said. "But I was just out there with the guys yesterday, they seem pretty good to me.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000211766/article/warren-sapp-pittsburgh-steelers-d-still-old-and-slow[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This is just a "surface" diagnosis by a blowhard who is trying to keep his name relevant because he has no in-depth analysis. Lump him in with the Michael Irvin, Deion Sander, Mike Ditka types vs. the Mark Schlereth, Trent Dilfer, Willie McGinest and Kurt Warner types who actually offer some insight.

Legend

User Info Menu

I cant believe a retired vet who works for NFLN gave his opinion... he just wants to be on TV.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 06-17-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Should it be called "Woodley syndrome" or "Sapp Syndrome"?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Sapp is slow in more than one way.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sapp was an idiot as a player and still is. He is comic relief for the NFL Network and nothing more
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

should have fired the bum when they had the chance

Legend

User Info Menu

The NFL Network should hire Joey Porter to sit next to Sapp and discuss football. That would be fun to watch.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This thread makes me smile.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    This thread makes me smile.
    It is kinda funny considering we have one of the fastest secondaries in the game between Troy, Ike, and Tez. The Clark who's the slowest of the bunch is at the top of his game. Add Shark into the mix and these guys are ridiculously speedy.

At LB, Timmons is one of the quickest guys in the league. Woodley is surprisingly quick for his size. Worilds is even faster. You could say Foote is the only slow one out of the bunch and he's always been slow but smart and takes good angles to make plays.

The Dline, who cares. These guys aren't running more than 5-10 yards per play. And Keisel is freakishly fast and gets quite a bit of pressure even though he's the only old guy on the line. The rest are youngins.

We've actually got an overabundance of speed where it matters. He can make the case that we're old, but slow is a stretch. And the funny part is the oldest guys are some of the fastest at their respective positions.

Sapp's a sapp.