Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace says going to Miami wasn’t about the money

Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Wallace says going to Miami wasn’t about the money

Mike Wallace says going to Miami wasn’t about the money
    Posted by Michael David Smith on June 13, 2013, 10:21 AM EDT

There’s an old adage that when someone says something isn’t about the money, it’s probably about the money. Which would mean Mike Wallace signed with the Dolphins for the money.

Wallace told USA Today that when he decided to leave the Steelers and sign a five-year, $60 million contract with the Dolphins, he wasn’t taking the most lucrative offer. He was taking the offer that would make him happiest.

“In free agency, with so many great guys, when you get the prize deal, it’s always a good feeling,” Wallace said. “I just wanted to be happy. Money isn’t everything. A lot of people last year, when I held out in Pittsburgh, took it the wrong way, felt like I was just being greedy.”

Meanwhile, Wallace’s father is continuing to claim, as he did when his son first signed with the Dolphins, that the Vikings were actually offering his son more money than the Dolphins. And now the elder Wallace has even put a dollar figure on it: He claims that the Vikings were offering a contract with a total value of $76 million.

Wallace does acknowledge that he wanted to be well paid after feeling underpaid for years with the Steelers, but he also says Miami is the right place for him to emerge as a truly great player.

“I performed so well for so long, I just wanted to be well compensated,” he said. “I feel I got a bad rep. Free agency paid off for me. But it was bittersweet. The money is not all I’m in it for. I want to be a great player – win Super Bowls, go to Pro Bowls continuously.”

If he can win Super Bowls and go to Pro Bowls continuously, Wallace will be worth the $60 million, regardless of whether or not that’s the reason he signed with the Dolphins.
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/13/mike-wallace-says-going-to-miami-wasnt-about-the-money/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I fear Mike Wallace is incredibly stupid
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    I fear Mike Wallace is incredibly stupid
    not at all... he is just giving the typical answer of a guy who held out and got paid in FA.

Legend

User Info Menu

The constant threat of Adrian Petersen running.....pick your poison 8 in the box giving Wallace 1 on one opportunities, or AP running you ragged if you keep deep safety help.
    They were 10-6 LAST YEAR.....Wallace you good for two wins?

Not about winning at all.

But it might not be about money either.

Rich and single where you wanna live.......Miami versus Pitt or Minn?

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    But it might not be about money either.

Rich and single where you wanna live.......Miami versus Pitt or Minn?
    That was my thinking exactly. Also, when you consider the tax advantages, he may have ended up keeping more money by going to Miami than by signing w/ MN. If you just want to play pro ball and winning is more of a happy byproduct when it happens, it would be hard to beat Miami or AZ for location alone.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/13/mike-wallace-says-going-to-miami-wasnt-about-the-money/[/URL]

​Mike Wallace ... he's no Evgeni Malkin.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    ​Mike Wallace ... he's no Evgeni Malkin.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

[IMG][URL="http://s442.photobucket.com/user/pittpete/media/wallacesig.jpg.html"][/URL][/IMG]

Legend

User Info Menu

Some pretty girl in South Beach is gonna end up with most of his money Minny or Pittsburgh were probably better deals in the long run.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Some pretty girl in South Beach is gonna end up with most of his money Minny or Pittsburgh were probably better deals in the long run.

Lots of beautiful blonde scandinavian girls in Minnesota, don't cha kno.
    I thought Mikey already has a family. though, so what's he need to be running around for.

I'm thinking it's haiku time for Mike Wallace on the board. Right now, I got nothing.