Thread: Penguins Agree to Terms with Evgeni Malkin on 8 Year $76 Million Contract Extension

Legend

User Info Menu

Penguins Agree to Terms with Evgeni Malkin on 8 Year $76 Million Contract Extension

Penguins Agree to Terms with Evgeni Malkin on Eight-Year $76 Million Contract Extension

Thursday, 06.13.2013 / 9:15 AM / News

The Pittsburgh Penguins have agreed to terms with forward Evgeni Malkin on an eight-year $76 million contract extension, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

The deal begins with the 2014-15 season and runs through the 2021-22 campaign, and has an average annual value of $9.5 million. He will earn $9.5 million for each of the eight seasons.

Malkin, 26, is one of just three Penguins in franchise history to win multiple Art Ross Trophies as the NHL scoring leader (2012, ’09), joining Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr. He has also won the Hart Trophy (2012), Ted Lindsay Award (2012) and Calder Trophy (2007). A three-time 100-point producer and a four-time 30-plus goal scorer, Malkin has been named team MVP on three occasions (’08, ’09, ’12); earned a spot on the NHL’s First-Team All-Star squad three times (’08, ’09, ’12); and has been named to four NHL All-Star Games (’08, ’09, ’11, ’12).

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound Malkin is one year removed from capturing the Art Ross Trophy (leading scorer), Hart Trophy (NHL MVP) and Ted Lindsay Award (NHLPA most outstanding player) while leading the NHL with 109 points (50G-59A) during the ’11-12 season. Malkin became the ninth player in franchise history to reach the 50-goal mark.

Malkin, who hails from Magnitogorsk, Russia, helped the Penguins win the franchise’s third Stanley Cup championship in 2009. He joined Mario Lemieux as the only players in team history to win the Conn Smythe Trophy as NHL postseason MVP after tallying a league-best 36 points (14G-22A) in 24 playoff games.

During the regular season that year, Malkin captured his first NHL scoring title, establishing career highs in points (113) and assists (78) while appearing in all 82 games. Malkin became just the fifth player since 1967 to win both the regular-season and playoff scoring titles, joining Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky, Guy Lafleur and Phil Esposito.

Malkin, who was drafted by the Penguins in the first round (2nd overall) of the 2004 NHL Draft, currently ranks seventh on Pittsburgh’s all-time point list with 560 career points (217G-343A) in 458 regular-season contests. His 37 career game-winning goals rank fourth in club history, while his 81 power-play goals place fifth.

Malkin has starred many times for Russia on the international stage, representing his homeland in a pair of Olympic Games (2006 and ’10), as well as the World Championships, World Junior Championships and the World Under-18 Championships.

During the 2012 World Championships, Malkin led his country to a gold medal while establishing a Team Russia record with 19 points (11G-8A) in 10 games. He was named tournament MVP and Top Forward.

Malkin has played four seasons (2003-06; ’12-13) with his hometown Metallurg Magnitogorsk of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL). He finished the ’12-13 season ranked third in the KHL scoring race with 65 points (23G-42A) in just 37 games during the lockout.

[URL]http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=673854&navid=DL|PIT|home[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hopefully Malkin and Crosby can get us another cup in the next 8 years. It's refreshing that Malkin is so tied to the city and wants to stay because he's comfortable. Hopefully Bylsma can somehow push him to become even better. Sometimes he reminds me of Mario when he's carrying the puck. And I don't know if I just notice when it happens, but he seems to like to watch other guys score against us without doing anything to help prevent it at times.

I know hockey is the most tiring sport on the planet, so maybe he has to save his energy to make himself a better offensive player. But he so often seems to not even try on D.

Legend

User Info Menu

While Malkin will never be confused with a Selke finalist, he does seem to get a decent amount of steals. He can swipe the puck off your stick in the opponent's zone, in his own zone, and in the neutral zone.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I'm having a really hard time getting up for game 3 which is unusual. I hope the players don't feel like I do. Gotta get this thing going somehow, someway.
    [url]http://www.shms.edu/[/url]
    [url]www.test-king.com/onlinecourses/PSAT-NMSQT.htm[/url]
    [url]http://www.millercollege.edu/[/url]
    [url]http://test-king.com/cert-CompTIA-Network-plus.htm[/url]
    [url]http://www.fcc.edu/[/url]