Bylsma Gets Two-Year Contract Extension As Penguins' Head Coach
Wednesday, 06.12.2013 / 11:00 AM / News Pittsburgh Penguins

The Pittsburgh Penguins have given head coach Dan Bylsma a two-year contract extension through the 2015-16 season, it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero. Bylsma had one year remaining on his current deal.

The Penguins also extended the contracts of assistant coaches Tony Granato and Todd Reirden.

“I believe in Dan Bylsma and I believe in stability with our coaching staff,” Shero said. “Dan is one of the top coaches in the NHL. His record speaks for itself. We fell short of our goal this year, and we’re all disappointed in that, but I believe – and our ownership believes – that Dan is the man to lead us into the future.”

Bylsma, 42, became the fastest coach in NHL history to win 200 games when the Penguins defeated Ottawa, 3-1, on April 22. It was just his 316th career game. He has the best winning percentage of any coach in Penguins history (.699) with an all-time record of 201-93-25 in five seasons.

He has led the Penguins to three 100-point seasons and five straight playoff berths. His 2012-13 team went 36-12 while winning the Atlantic Division and posting the best record in the Eastern Conference.

Bylsma also is the winningest coach in Penguins playoff history with 36 post-season victories and seven playoff series victories, including the 2009 Stanley Cup.

He received the Jack Adams Award as the NHL’s most outstanding coach in 2011.

The native of Grand Haven, Mich. was named head coach of the Penguins on February 15, 2009, taking over for Michel Therrien. He previously was head coach of the Penguins’ AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, and was an assistant coach with the New York Islanders and the AHL Cincinnati Mighty Ducks.

Bylsma played nine NHL seasons as a forward with Los Angeles and Anaheim. He played college hockey at Bowling Green.

[URL]http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=673682&navid=DL|PIT|home[/URL]