Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Why Was Ben Having a Pro Bowl Caliber Season Last Year?

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm really disappointed in this thread. This discussion has hit 5 pages and there has been no breakdown into name calling and childish behavior. If this civility continues I'm going to have to contact one of the mods and have all of you banned for the rest of the off-season.

Sheesh!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I'm really disappointed in this thread. This discussion has hit 5 pages and there has been no breakdown into name calling and childish behavior. If this civility continues I'm going to have to contact one of the mods and have all of you banned for the rest of the off-season.

Sheesh!
    steeler_fan_in_t.o. is a big fat doodiehead.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    steeler_fan_in_t.o. is a big fat doodiehead.
    See....was that so hard?

Legend

User Info Menu

Sheesh!
    Does this count?
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    If not, nice to meet ya, kettle...
    Seriously, I believe that's a matter of posters who generally respect each other's opinions disagreeing on a topic. It's weird - I usually disagree with guys who I think are morons...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    In fact, i contend that the dink and dunk encourages the secondary to cheat up, making it more difficult to run. in other words, the ineffective run game may well have been a result of the gameplan. when they add another occasional downfield throw this year (and hopefully have a healthier o-line) the run game will improve...
    The run game was a function, mainly, of the o-line...

When the o-line was at the healthiest point, the Steelers produced 3 100 yard rushing games and averaged 4.7 YpC...

When the injuries hit, the run production went in the crapper...

Legend

User Info Menu

Sheesh!
    SOD killed a horse in one of his posts

Legend

User Info Menu

Anyone concerned that Ben's YPA was down below his career avg? That seems to correlate with the effectiveness of an offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Anyone concerned that Ben's YPA was down below his career avg? That seems to correlate with the effectiveness of an offense.
    I made that point - they basically called it irrelevant!

In any event, yes, I'm concerned. And that wasn't a BA thin cuz it's career, so it also happened with Whiz, etc. HOWEVER, i suspect it'll be more in line with the other years this year. I like everything I'm reading about the two of them talking. Whether it turns into more deep balls or not, it does, in fact, mean Ben's on board, understands and considers the system reasonable... I'm actually of the opinion that if you like last year's first 8, wait'll you get a load of this year's offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    yep.. also witnessed are WR's struggle underneath with ball protection and our running game probably suffered due to the D crowding the LOS.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    I made that point - they basically called it irrelevant!

In any event, yes, I'm concerned. And that wasn't a BA thin cuz it's career, so it also happened with Whiz, etc. HOWEVER, i suspect it'll be more in line with the other years this year. I like everything I'm reading about the two of them talking. Whether it turns into more deep balls or not, it does, in fact, mean Ben's on board, understands and considers the system reasonable... I'm actually of the opinion that if you like last year's first 8, wait'll you get a load of this year's offense.
    Ben's career low YPA was second year under Arians, 7.0 (versus 7.3 last year).
    We went 12-4 and won the SB.

Total team offense numbers were nothing special, frankly our overal offense is better when we run better. In years we dont run well the offense is always lower 15.
    What IS interesting about that year is that while less prolific, Ben was never more "clutch".

When down he patiently moved the ball (pre-Wallace) with quicker strikes. Less attempts to get it all at once.
    5 fourth quarter comebacks that year.

BTW our scoring went UP last year DESPITE an enemic run game, few turnovers and Ben missing three games.
    Ben's YPA went down, TD percentage went up.
    Yes, in this discussion, ypa made no difference in team success.

You know what did?
    Points allowed- up from 227 to 315

Iteresting stat:
    Steeler have not made a single playoff allowing 300 points in a decade.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-14-2013 at 12:34 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher