Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Was Ben Having a Pro Bowl Caliber Season Last Year?

Legend

User Info Menu

Why Was Ben Having a Pro Bowl Caliber Season Last Year?

Everyone gives Haley credit for the start of Ben's 2012 season performance. Is that warranted?

Could it be that Ben was having a great year because of his performance on 3rd downs when he was going off script and playing his backyard style of football? Our overall offensive production went down. Our scoring went down. Lots of struggles were happening on this offense. But 1 guy seemed to be performing when he wasn't hurt. And as usual, the big plays seemed to be a lot of Ben's own doing. Has he just become a better sandlot QB?

I'm just trying to find some real evidence that Haley helped make him better. Haley was supposed to help by re-establishing a running game, helping Ben make better decisions and take less hits and stay healthy. He was supposed to address our troubles in the RedZone. Pretty much none of the things we expected from Haley happened. But Ben looked great up until he got hurt. It's hard to believe Haley was the reason for it when he wasn't able to accomplish the other things he was supposed to accomplish with the offense.

Sometimes it's hard to see the direct impact of a coaches performance. I have no idea what the answer is here. But I think it might just be Ben's getting better at being Ben. And instead of worrying about Ben, maybe Haley should put all his focus on keeping Ben healthy.

Legend

User Info Menu

So this is not about Ben or his performance or is it rather subtrefuge to criticize Haley. I think what Haley did was keep Ben healthy and protected Ben from himself which is why he did so well until injured.

Guess what Haley is the OC again this year and is actually getting cooperation from Ben. We'll see what happens.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

3rd down...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    So this is not about Ben or his performance or is it rather subtrefuge to criticize Haley. I think what Haley did was keep Ben healthy and protected Ben from himself which is why he did so well until injured.

Guess what Haley is the OC again this year and is actually getting cooperation from Ben. We'll see what happens.
    Every post is subtrefuge in someone's mind. Just asking a question. Not being critical of Haley. Just adding in does he deserve some of the credit? I dunno if he does or doesn't.

Ben coincidentally was injured for more games than usual while Haley was protecting him. Then again maybe it was just bad luck or Ben getting older.

Just looking for evidence why Ben got better. Was it Ben? Haley? Someone or something else?

Legend

User Info Menu

I think that Haley definitely had something to do with it. Even though our running game still stunk and we relied on Ben for 3rd down magic as much or more than ever, Haley did emphasize that when Ben is back to pass, that he gets rid of it quicker on shorter routes. Ben might not like that "dink and dunk" style but he proved that he was good at it.

Ben is just a very good QB. He can do most everything that's asked of him. He can play Arian's style. He can play "dink and dunk". He can plan sandlot. But when he gets hurt, the team goes to crap.

This team goes as Ben goes. We need to do everything possible to protect Ben. And even then, sometimes $hit just happens. And no matter what style offense you implement, Ben will at times go sandlot and when he's not hurt or getting hurt, that often produces magic. That's what we get with a guy like Ben. You do your best to protect him, you give him weapons and you go into it knowing you have to take his good with his risky tendencies and hope that doesn't get him injured.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd say it's because Ben has been a Pro Bowl Caliber QB for years.

He was a Pro Bowl Caliber QB with Whisenhunt, a Pro Bowl Caliber QB with Arians, and a Pro Bowl Caliber QB with Haley.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

I'd say it's because Ben has been a Pro Bowl Caliber QB for years.

He was a Pro Bowl Caliber QB with Whisenhunt, a Pro Bowl Caliber QB with Arians, and a Pro Bowl Caliber QB with Haley.

Maybe I should have said MVP calibre season before getting hurt. ie. Why did he get better? What's different?

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben is one of the top QBs in the league. So he should get credit for a great season, pre-injury.

But I don't see why Haley shouldn't get some credit, as well. Do Arians and Whisenhunt not get credit for their part in Ben's earlier successes?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Ben is one of the top QBs in the league. So he should get credit for a great season, pre-injury.

But I don't see why Haley shouldn't get some credit, as well. Do Arians and Whisenhunt not get credit for their part in Ben's earlier successes?
    Since Haley is the current OC he is automatically wrong and all previous OCs were better to some degree.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Since Haley is the current OC he is automatically wrong and all previous OCs were better to some degree.
    You forgot to all that since LeBeau is the current DC he is automatically wrong and all future DCs will be better to some degree.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.