Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Why Was Ben Having a Pro Bowl Caliber Season Last Year?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    5 fourth quarter comebacks that year.
    The horse is dead, but, random thought on that stat... i HATE it... it's partially a function of whether you trailed late in the game... generally speaking, teams that win more trail less late in the game than teams that lose more... i.e., if you're 0-16, you have 16 opportunities to have comebacks... typically, a 12-4 team has fewer opportunities to come back than a 8-8 team..

to further expand on when i mentally "invalidated" that stat: I'm sure many of you remember how Jake Plummer anually led the league in 4th quarter comebacks... but, they never mentioned that he also lead the league in boneheaded 1st half plays that got his team in trouble in the first place.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    The horse is dead, but, random thought on that stat... i HATE it... it's partially a function of whether you trailed late in the game... generally speaking, teams that win more trail less late in the game than teams that lose more... i.e., if you're 0-16, you have 16 opportunities to have comebacks... typically, a 12-4 team has fewer opportunities to come back than a 8-8 team..

to further expand on when i mentally "invalidated" that stat: I'm sure many of you remember how Jake Plummer anually led the league in 4th quarter comebacks... but, they never mentioned that he also lead the league in boneheaded 1st half plays that got his team in trouble in the first place.
    6 fourth quarter comebacks........when you include a SB victory that year.
    I say that is more Montana than Plummer.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    typically, a 12-4 team has fewer opportunities to come back than a 8-8 team.
    Ben also had 5 4th quarter comebacks as a rookie- He was 13-0 that year

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben used to be a comeback machine. But it felt like he's gone downhill in that department starting with the SuperBowl loss to GB. I'm not pinning that last drive on Ben completely. I think Wally being confused had more to do with that drive failing than anything. But for some reason that moment seemed very significant. Up until that time, I always believed Ben would pull any game out at the end. Now I'm never sure if he can.