Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where would Decastro have been rated amongst this year's guards?

Rookie

User Info Menu

I found it more odd that guards were drafted so high in April...

Historically, OG is not a premium position in the first round...I think the higher draft position for guards in 2013 was due to the lack of star power in the first round...

Legend

User Info Menu

Pittsburgh Steelers guard David DeCastro 'is going to be great,' Maurkice Pouncey says

Pittsburgh Steelers guard David DeCastro (66), right, works on blocking drills during NFL football practice on Thursday, May 30, 2013 in Pittsburgh. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic)

By Dustin Hockensmith
    on June 04, 2013

Pittsburgh Steelers guard David DeCastro's rookie season was derailed before it started. The first-round pick tore his medial collateral ligament at the end of training camp and missed the team's first 12 games.

But he's back healthy this summer as an important part of a young, talented Steelers' offensive line. DeCastro moves well for a 6-5, 315-pounder and has improved his technique going into his second season as a pro.

DeCastro can play power football, as well as get out in space and block downfield, teammate Maurkice Pouncey told Steelers.com yesterday.

"[DeCastro] can really move around and get outside on the edge and block guys and really move them if we've got to run power football," Pouncey said. "It's excellent to have him right next to me."

That versatility will be key under first-year offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr., who is implementing a zone blocking scheme. The new scheme will put the Steelers' linemen on the move more often and capitalize on their athleticism.

DeCastro told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review last month that he spent his time off the field studying and observing his teammates' techniques.

“Pouncey has got his technique down, Ramon's got a technique down. So you take bits and pieces and see what you're doing,” DeCastro told the Tribune-Review. “I learned a lot and, to me, it's all instinct now. It's a whole different game, and I think I'm a lot more prepared for this season. ... It's almost like a fresh beginning.”

Pouncey, 23, will again be a key this season, but he'll be joined by three other guys in DeCastro (23), right tackle Mike Adams (23) and left tackle Marcus Gilbert (25) who are 25 or younger. Key reserve Kelvin Beachum turns 24 this weekend. Left guard Ramon Foster, 27, is the veteran of the group.

Pittsburgh struggled in the running game last season, in part because of injuries along the line. The Steelers ranked just 26th in the NFL with 1,537 rushing yards and averaged just 3.7 yards per carry.

The youth movement and fresh approach came at the expense of veteran left tackle Max Starks and reserve center Doug Legursky. But the time had arrived to rely on young linemen after dedicating four first and second-round picks on them in the last three NFL drafts.

The addition of a healthy DeCastro could be an immediate step toward improvement. He's got Pouncey's seal of approval.

"He's going to be a great," Pouncey said.

[URL]http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/06/pittsburgh_steelers_guard_davi.html[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Not sure that means much... could mean he was the best of a mediocre bunch. Its odd how the draft flipped upside down last year but its a crap shoot. I just found it odd that the best guard fell to 24.
    It's not that odd. Faneca was drafted in roughly the same range.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    It's not that odd. Faneca was drafted in roughly the same range.
    I guess this means Decastro is going to act a fool in a few years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I guess this means Decastro is going to act a fool in a few years.
    LOL, you know thats right.
    But I'll take a decade of probowl Faneca play in exchange for a little "crazy" at the end.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think DD still goes first even last year because of his ability to move. It likely would have come down to DD vs Cooper going first and the personal interview/character/preference would have probably been the deciding factor.

I think they might have grade Warmack a little higher because of the talent surrounding him. Every Olineman that plays next to other good Olinemen looks better. So I do think Cooper/DD both go ahead of Warmack. The other thing in the power vs athleticim, most guys can work to get stronger, but you're either athletic or not.
    Totally agree with what likely would have happened here... What's funny there is I remember watching DD at the combine last year and thinking, "man, that top guard looks stiff to me"... shows i don't know squat! lol

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Totally agree with what likely would have happened here... What's funny there is I remember watching DD at the combine last year and thinking, "man, that top guard looks stiff to me"... shows i don't know squat! lol
    I have yet to see ANYTHING that says WOW that guy is gonna be great, including the combine.
    But I too assume the expertss know better

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    LOL, you know thats right.
    But I'll take a decade of probowl Faneca play in exchange for a little "crazy" at the end.
    Especially if that "crazy" comes with the same caliber rookie QB.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

One way or another..I am still, to this day, GLAD to have David DeCastro on our team. Period.
    Last edited by Rara; 06-09-2013 at 08:43 PM.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I have yet to see ANYTHING that says WOW that guy is gonna be great, including the combine.
    But I too assume the expertss know better
    I've been a huge DeCastro backer (suggested trying to trade up to get him last year, so when he fell into our laps last year, I was overjoyed). I was super-high on him because I was unable to find a flaw in his game. He's got size, strength, athleticism, attitude, technique, power, tenacity, intelligence, and is a hard worker with a mean streak on the field. He seemed to be a "sure-thing" type at a position of need for us, and I think that he only fell because the league devalues a position like guard. I think the only reason that Cooper and Warmack went higher this year is because this particular draft was dreadful at the very top (no true top-notch talents at QB, RB, or WR, and a lot of boom/bust types at other positions).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.