Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign Jarvis Jones

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers sign Jarvis Jones

Steelers Sign First-Round Pick Jarvis Jones
    June 3, 2013 05:15 PM
    The Steelers have signed their first-round draft pick from the 2013 NFL Draft, linebacker Jarvis Jones. Financial terms of the four-year deal were not disclosed.

"I think it's a blessing. I wanted to get it out of the way so I can continue to focus on my career," said Jones."The organization and my agent did a great job of getting it out of the way so it won't be a distraction going into training camp. I'm going to be fully focused and ready to go out there and give everything I've got to help my teammates."

Jones (6-2, 245), who was the 17th overall pick, spent three years at the University of Georgia (2010-12) after playing one season at the University of Southern California (2009). He played in a total of 34 games and started all 26 he played for the Bulldogs. Jones posted 28.0 sacks at Georgia, tying Jimmy Payne (1978-82) for third in school history.

As a senior, Jones was named to numerous All-American first-teams and was a finalist for the Lombardi Trophy, Butkus Award, Bednarik Trophy, Nagurski Award and the LOTT Impact Trophy. As the Bulldogs' permanent captain, he was the recipient of the Vince Dooley Most Valuable Player of the Year Award and was named one of team's Most Valuable Defensive Players.

The Steelers have now signed seven of their nine selections from the 2013 NFL Draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wow, they seem to be on a mission to eliminate every possible distraction.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Glad to see him signed! Can't wait to see him play in the preseason!
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    was a finalist for the Lombardi Trophy
    Hopefully he helps us get the real Lombardi this year!!!

Surprised we signed him so early.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Hopefully he helps us get the real Lombardi this year!!!

Surprised we signed him so early.
    +1

I am really, really surprised he wasn't a July signing because his slot value really hasn't been set yet by the other Round 1 picks being signed. Seems like a good sign he is motivated to just get on the field and play football.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

don't 1st rounders often get inked for 5 years?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    I´m thinking that too.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Legend

User Info Menu

He probably was willing to sign a more reasonable 4 year instead of 5. Makes sense if he believes he is the next great Steeler OLB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    According to this article it is a four year deal with a club option for a fifth year.....even better

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000208756/article/jarvis-jones-pittsburgh-steelers-reach-contract[/url]

The team announced Monday the signing of their first-round pick, selected 17th overall in the [URL="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013"]2013 NFL Draft[/URL]. According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Jones signed a four-year contract worth $8.5 million with a $4.7 million signing bonus. The deal includes a fifth-year club option.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    He probably was willing to sign a more reasonable 4 year instead of 5. Makes sense if he believes he is the next great Steeler OLB.
    dang, i guess i just think negative all the time... was thinking, "sounds like they're having doubts....?"