Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers will count on 'Typical Steve McLendon' to emerge in Casey Hampton's absence

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    It could also be the talent. Hampton has always been the key to the 3-4 and he aged. Smitty is arguably one of the best 3-4 DEs in the history of the game. Take away 2 guys that need to be double teamed in their prime and the pressure is going down.

Not to mention the new passing league where it's easier to get rid of the ball quickly.

But the biggest problem has been, we haven't been collapsing the middle of the pocket. So if a QB can step up, it's harder for the OLBs to get to him.

But that's all in the base D. With the emphasis on passing we're in the nickle/dime with 4 lineman all the time. And we don't get pressure then either. So saying the guys we have are better suited for a 4-3 isn't all that true either. Which is why I go back to the talent being the issue moreso than Lebeau.
    But if you don't have the talent doesn't a good coach adjust to get the most out of the players he has and play to their strengths not his desires????? Have you seen any adjustments? Are the DL turned loose more often to go after the QB? If you read this morning Trib McClendon says that he has asked to but isn't allowed.

That is blindly adhering to a system that isn't working anymore.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    But if you don't have the talent doesn't a good coach adjust to get the most out of the players he has and play to their strengths not his desires????? Have you seen any adjustments? Are the DL turned loose more often to go after the QB? If you read this morning Trib McClendon says that he has asked to but isn't allowed.

Except the system does work...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    and has worked for many years now...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    It worked so well contributing to 8 losses last year and missing the play offs. Get just 10 more sacks over the course of the season and a few more INT that could have been significant.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

It worked so well contributing to 8 losses last year and missing the play offs. Get just 10 more sacks over the course of the season and a few more INT that could have been significant.
    Or a few less turnovers on the offensive side...

Think maybe that Cleveland game, where the defense scored a TD, might have put us in the playoffs?

It's consistently a top scoring D. Not yards. Points.

The system works...

Backup

User Info Menu

The people who continue to make excuses for this defense really don't see how the game has changed.

Being the top defense in yards and points allowed is nice, but it's not the be all end all.... not even close really. It's about splash plays. Sacks and turnovers - especially turnovers. Did a team ever win the super bowl with a "tackle the catch" philosophy on defense? Yes, if a player attempts to force a turnover and doesn't get it, it could be a big play the other way. But you need to take risks if you want to be rewarded. And by not forcing any turnovers, the offense will hardly ever get good field position. The offense won't score many points having to go 80-90 yards on every drive.

It's a good stats defense, that's about it.

Legend

User Info Menu

You can't change the whole system for Steve McClendon. He's not that good to warrant it. Essentially you'd be hurting the potential production of Woodley, Harrison, and Timmons who are the guys that are paid to make the plays.

Now if you told me McClendon was Ngata and Lebeau was holding him back from dominating, that's a completely different discussion. McClendon was just a role player last year anyways. So I especially don't see changing the whole system for a backup.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    The people who continue to make excuses for this defense really don't see how the game has changed.

Being the top defense in yards and points allowed is nice, but it's not the be all end all.... not even close really. It's about splash plays. Sacks and turnovers - especially turnovers. Did a team ever win the super bowl with a "tackle the catch" philosophy on defense? Yes, if a player attempts to force a turnover and doesn't get it, it could be a big play the other way. But you need to take risks if you want to be rewarded. And by not forcing any turnovers, the offense will hardly ever get good field position. The offense won't score many points having to go 80-90 yards on every drive.

It's a good stats defense, that's about it.
    NE's offense hasn't had difficulty scoring the last several years while their D has been mediocre. But that's beside the point. I do think it's more of a talent issue than system issue. Adding Troy and Cortez in the lineup will help. If Woodley's healthy, that will help. If Hood finally starts playing to his potential that may help. But McClendon and Worilds will likely take us a step back in talent.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    You can't change the whole system for Steve McClendon. He's not that good to warrant it. Essentially you'd be hurting the potential production of Woodley, Harrison, and Timmons who are the guys that are paid to make the plays.

Now if you told me McClendon was Ngata and Lebeau was holding him back from dominating, that's a completely different discussion. McClendon was just a role player last year anyways. So I especially don't see changing the whole system for a backup.
    The system doesn't need to change because of one player, the system needs to change because it has gone stale. It's a stats defense, it doesn't make any splash plays.

Look at other NFL teams. Rookies come in and make some kind of impact right away. With the Steelers, rookies have to sit on the bench for the first 2 or 3 seasons because "the system is too complex." Gee, maybe it's time to simplify things then.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    The system doesn't need to change because of one player, the system needs to change because it has gone stale. It's a stats defense, it doesn't make any splash plays.

Look at other NFL teams. Rookies come in and make some kind of impact right away. With the Steelers, rookies have to sit on the bench for the first 2 or 3 seasons because "the system is too complex." Gee, maybe it's time to simplify things then.
    I guess I would respectfully disagree. IMO, the #1 job of a D in the NFL is to keep the other team from scoring. "Splash plays" are nice gravy, but not the foundation that a D should be built on.